Author Topic: Virus database.  (Read 13697 times)

rlndsgrb

Virus database.
« on: July 22, 2003, 10:44:27 AM »

In the panel "Information about known viruses", some viruses have "detailed information".
Among these ones, SOME have instructions to remove the viruses ( ONLY among these one ?).
Then it is a very little part of viruses that can be fixed, isn't it ?
I hope I 've got wrong.

whocares

Re:Virus database.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2003, 01:22:23 PM »
Hi,

almost all viruses/malware infections can be cured. Of course, some destructive action to your system/files can sometimes NOT be reverted; so be sure to keep avast always updated, and make backup copies of important data..

the normal way would be for the avast Resident shield to alert you when a virus tries to enter your  PC, so you can just delete it, BEFORE the malware gets activated and starts its spreading routine or payload.

if your PC is already infected, and you don't find removal instructions in avast's database or homepage:
 look for the virusname or symptoms at
www.trendmicro.com
www.symantec.com
www.sophos.com
http://www.virusbtn.com/resources/vgrep

if avast only gives you a general name for the malware (like the infamous W32.Trojan-gen )
employ a second scanner, for example kaspersky-online or trendOnline, to get a specific name and then search for it in the various Virus-Infos

:)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2003, 01:27:21 PM by whocares »

rlndsgrb

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2003, 02:42:45 PM »

hi,
  many sites ,as you say ,have virus removal instructions.Often there are utility to remove virus
that one can download...(and . . use ? maybe it is necessary the product and its data base..!) .
The only freeware remove utility I know is Sysclean.com by Trendmicro . What have you used till now ?

whocares

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2003, 04:03:20 PM »
What have you used till now ?

didn't need one on my own PC so far.. ;D ;D

there are lots of them around
avasts own Multi-AV-Cleaner: http://www.avast.com/i_idt_171.html

Pandasoftware multi-AV-Cleaner
McAfee Stinger
Cleaners for specific Malware (usually all variants):
www.symantec.com
www.bitdefender.com
and depending on your WIN-Version and especially Filesystem
Trend's ERDisk-set :)

I usually employ symantec & bitdefender-Tools when one of my collegues/friends again manage to get infected by a mail-worm

rlndsgrb

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2003, 08:24:50 PM »
hi,
Too easy...why find out and remove viruses without
charge ,where is the business ?!

whocares

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2003, 09:00:08 PM »
why find out and remove viruses without
charge ,where is the business ?!

ääärhm..
???
what do you think avast home is about ..?

when private users use & trust a free software, they may later buy or promote the pro-&pay-version in a company/institution etc..

rlndsgrb

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2003, 11:42:45 PM »

Come back to the mainly question,that is if avast!4
can found only the viruses that have "detailed information" in "Information about known viruses",Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2003, 02:56:12 PM by rlndsgrb »

rlndsgrb

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2003, 05:33:40 PM »

can found only the viruses that have "detailed information" in "Information about known viruses",Thanks.

whocares

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2003, 05:51:59 PM »

Avast can Find=Detect=Prevent infection if Shield is running
of course all the Viruses/Malware listed there (and even more with its "heuristic"/Generic detection)
and it can probably repair those automatically, that are listed as repairable.

I'd advise you to read a bit on different types of malware:
viruses, trojans,worms etc..
and which can be repaired, or which can be just deleted..
and which need action on the users part, if the system is infected..

:)

P.S.. What is your native language ?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2003, 05:53:22 PM by whocares »

rlndsgrb

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2003, 09:26:25 PM »
Hi,
You are very entusiastic !But if you have a problem with a virus WITHOUT "datailed information" (do you understand of what I speaking about ?) where have you to go ? Symantec or trendmicro or bitdefender or Mcafee or other ?

whocares

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2003, 09:36:37 PM »
:-)

1) you shouldn't have a problem with a virus, if you keep avast updated, The shield always on, and follow basic precautions when surfing & using your PC at all.

2) go to all of them;  ;D the more you know, the better you can decide, what to do..
3) first check the DB & homepage of your AV-prog (i.e. Avast)
4) vgrep (above) lists the different names used by AV-Progs for the same virus. so that's the next step;
Some very new or rare stuff might not be listed there; then I go to  Trendmicro or McAfee, because their DBs list lots of aliases, and mostly a removal procedure.
5) google

6) On a virus find, I always check the alert with another scanner.

rlndsgrb

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2003, 11:55:40 PM »

Hi,
what I was looking for was an Encyclopedia (that there isn't) or something like that with links to the removal instructions (of course there is the encyclopedia in all of the sites you said).

whocares

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2003, 12:15:19 AM »
VGREP

rlndsgrb

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2003, 10:11:17 AM »

Of course, I have it in a my htlm page with many other links. And VGREP point to all of the Encyclopedias.
Avast! doesn't have an Enciclopedia and my question was how to find the avast! removals.....
I can see ONLY the removals for the last viruses and
for some (not all) that have the "detailed information" in the "information about known viruses" ( >>> Avast! Menu > Virus Database > search .....).

Offline Michal Zrůbecký

• Avast team
    • avast! software
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2003, 10:37:08 AM »
I can see ONLY the removals for the last viruses and
for some (not all) that have the "detailed information" in the "information about known viruses"

We can´t describe all ITW viruses and provide the removal instructions - there´s not enough time and employees in ALWIL Software team. We are really small company, much smaller then Symantec, for example.

If you need to know how to remove some virus that isn´t described on our website, you can contact us via e-mail. We will send you necessary informations ASAP.

BTW I think the best virus encyclopedia is here:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/vinfodb.html.
avast! support team