Author Topic: [Resolved] THREE Web Shields: Conflict?  (Read 6859 times)

jjb2012

[Resolved] THREE Web Shields: Conflict?
« on: March 27, 2011, 01:53:15 AM »
I am running AIS 6.1 with a web shield, Malwarebytes Pro (web shield on) and Online Armor Free (web shield on).

Is there any evidence that having three shields will conflict? Or slow down the browser? Should I only have one or two?

Thanks!

« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 04:28:43 PM by jjb2012 »

doktornotor

Re: THREE Web Shields: Conflict?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 01:55:39 AM »
I would definitely disable the OA one.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 03:29:13 AM »
I would definitely disable the OA one.
+1
Overkilling... and conflicts.
The best things in life are free.

jjb2012

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 03:30:28 AM »
It did catch scareware that AIS doesn't target. Too bad these supplemental anti-malware products aren't tested like the rest.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 03:39:01 AM »
It did catch scareware that AIS doesn't target. Too bad these supplemental anti-malware products aren't tested like the rest.
This will happen all the time with detection products: one miss, the other catch.
You need to find a balance. I think AIS is enough. AIS + MBAM is ok. AIS + MBAM + OA is overkilling.
You'll degrade that much your computer and browsing experience.
Common sense and cautions on the web can do it :)
The best things in life are free.

sded

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 03:40:55 AM »
I run OA++ webshield and Avast! webshield together with no problems.  I do exclude avast! in general from OA options/exclusions because of potential other issues.  FYI, OA Webshield is not an AV, but in the old help file "Online Armor’s Web Shield will filter potentially dangerous web objects, malicious security tricks used by attackers/fraudsters, and Block malicious/fraudulent websites before your computer can load them."  Future updates should make it more oriented toward DNS protection.  I also use Prevx SafeOnline, which doesn't seem to cause any Avast! problems but does block certain OA website related features.

osants911

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 03:58:44 AM »
MBAM's so called "Website Protection" won't even scan the webpage you visit. It is just an IP Blocker that intercepts the packet communications and filters the IP address for known Malicious activities.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 05:29:26 AM »
The only conflicts i could see was if you had both firewalls active, personally i dont know why you want online armor anyway since there is a perfectly good firewall in AIS  ???

DBone

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 06:10:31 AM »
If you want a little more browsing protection, try Norton DNS. Nothing to install or take up system resources, and no conflicts whatsoever.

SafeSurf

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 08:28:28 AM »
I agree with sded's post as I have a very similar security setup on 3 machines except sded is using OA ++ (without the AV) and I am using OA Premium [FW only] (along with the other security software mentioned in his post). 

It is important to make exclusions and there are no problems.  I have used and tested these software for several years now with no conflicts with multiple version changes and uninstalls/installs and upgrades.

Also as mentioned, OA webshield works entirely different from Avast.

You can if you want have OA and manually disable the firewall (FW), just like you can in AIS. 

Both OA and AIS offer different products that you can customize, so I do not see this as overkill.  With proper exclusions, this is layering of security.  Should a conflict develop, perhaps due to a definition or version upgrade, then troubleshooting will need to be done.

Sammo

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 08:33:19 AM »
I have been running both Avast 6.0 and Online Armor 5.0 web shields without any problems.

doktornotor

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 10:14:16 AM »
I have used and tested these software for several years now with no conflicts with multiple version changes and uninstalls/installs and upgrades.

I personally think that you are lucky that your box still boots. Wrt "OA Webshield is not an AV, but in the old help file "Online Armor’s Web Shield will filter potentially dangerous web objects, malicious security tricks used by attackers/fraudsters, and Block malicious/fraudulent websites before your computer can load them." <-- so does network shield in avast!

SafeSurf

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 10:33:33 AM »
"OA Webshield is not an AV, but in the old help file "Online Armor’s Web Shield will filter potentially dangerous web objects, malicious security tricks used by attackers/fraudsters, and Block malicious/fraudulent websites before your computer can load them."
You are looking at OA's help information and not Emsi's information on OA...different company and different product.  A lot has changed through the years and versions. 

Having tested OA on different OS's with Avast, and I'm not the only one here who has done this -- 3 of us in this thread already agree that OA and Avast can coexist without conflicts.

doktornotor

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 10:35:04 AM »
You are looking at OA's help information and not Emsi's information on OA...different company and different product.

Not me - look more carefully who originally posted that. Regardless, my stance is still the same. The functionality overlaps and you are just asking for trouble.

SafeSurf

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 10:38:53 AM »
I think we need to get on-topic now and let the OP respond after our discussion so we do not confuse him/her. 

Each person needs to decide for themselves what is best for their machine and set up.