Author Topic: Can not enable webshield in Version 6.  (Read 11471 times)

JaceKiwi

Can not enable webshield in Version 6.
« on: March 27, 2011, 07:26:52 AM »
I have gone into Avast - REal-time shields - Webshield and it says service stoped. I have already tried Summry  Fix Now. Any other ideas?

Thanks,
J.

SafeSurf

Re: Can not enable webshield in Version 6.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 08:06:34 AM »
Did this problem happen after an upgrade to a different version or just happen suddenly?  Can you correlate it to something else?

What version (6.xxx - be specific) and product of Avast are you using?  What is your OS?

Try an Avast Repair:
- Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > Avast Antivirus.
- Scroll down and choose Repair function in the pop-up window.
- Reboot.

If this fails to fix your problems, please report back the answers to the above questions as well as the following:

What other security software do you currently have or did you have in the past on this machine including:
- Antivirus (AV)
- Firewall (FW)
- Trial versions of AV, FW and other security programs
- Other security software
- If they were in the past, how did you remove them (the vendor's uninstaller's tool or  another way)?

Thank you.

JaceKiwi

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 09:38:27 AM »
What version (6.0.1000 - be specific) Free AV
XP Pro SP3

Try an Avast Repair:
- Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > Avast Antivirus.
- Scroll down and choose Repair function in the pop-up window.
- Reboot. - Done

If this fails to fix your problems, please report back the answers to the above questions as well as the following:

What other security software do you currently have or did you have in the past on this machine including:
- Antivirus (AV) Avast 6
- Firewall (FW) PC Tools 7.0.0.111
- Trial versions of AV, FW and other security programs none
- Other security software Spybot

I did install Windows updte KB955759

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 09:55:56 AM »
I would get rid of spybot as its to outdated for the modern types of malware nowdays and then do a clean install with this version of avast http://files.avast.com/files/beta/6.0.1044/setup_av_free.exe as it fixed some compatability issues with some firewalls.

SafeSurf

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 10:02:44 AM »
Agree with craigb on this.  SB especially if used with Teatimer has been known to cause conflicts with Avast.  MBAM (Malwarebytes) http://www.malwarebytes.org/ is more up to date and is used by most of us here.

Uninstall Spybot S&D w/Teatimer: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/uninstall.html.
- How to disable Spybot-S&D (temporarily).  http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/disable.html .  Even though it says temporarily, the resident parts of SpyBot Search & Destroy must be enabled manually if disabled in this manner.  TeaTimer doesn't load into memory at all when disabled.  Reboot.

Here is the Avast Uninstaller Tool: http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear6.exe.  Reboot.

Let us know if you have any questions.  Thank you.

doktornotor

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 10:15:26 AM »
+1. Wipe Spybot and do not touch it again.

JaceKiwi

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 10:07:00 PM »
It looks like PC tools firewall has something like Spybot built in. So shall uninstall it.
When I've done software installs and Windows updates I disconnect from the internet and disable all three (Spybot, Firewall, AV). Then reboot after the install to re-enable everything.

JaceKiwi

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 10:56:37 PM »
Uninstalled Spybot and Avast. Used cleaner and installed version specified and still get the same error:
"Avast! will not be able to protect mail/news (error 10091)."

Cheers,
J.

doktornotor

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 11:00:13 PM »
Uninstalled Spybot and Avast. Used cleaner and installed version specified and still get the same error:

How is this related to webshield?  ??? ??? ???

For email, you must disable SSL/TLS encryption in your email client and leave the ports at normal (25,110,143)

SafeSurf

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 09:11:16 AM »
It looks like PC tools firewall has something like Spybot built in.
This is not true.  PCT FW is just a FW only unless you installed a suite.

First, did you uninstall SB and TT with the uninstaller tools I posted previously, then reboot?

Second, when you uninstalled PCT FW, did you do it as the vendor suggested then reboot?  BTW, PCT leaves a LOT of remnants behind.  I highly suggest you go into Safe Mode > Advanced Search > type in PC Tools (and on other searches type: PCTools, Symantec, Norton) > anything that comes up on the right side of your screen if you are not sure if it is related to PCT you can right-click on the file for "Properties" to confirm.  If it is related to PCT, you can delete it and put it in the recycle bin and empty while in Safe Mode.  Since PCT is owned by Symantec/Norton, that is why you also need to search under these names as well, and they are known to leave remnants and a search or uninstalling this FW has shown to leave registry or drivers behind which may cause issues with other security software.  Did you reboot after uninstallation?  Turn on your Windows Firewall in XP for now so you have some kind of protection.  Eventually you will need a third-party 2-way FW like Avast IS; Online Armor (free or paid); Comodo (without AV); Outpost (free or paid) - these have not caused conflict with Avast.

Third, when you installed Avast, did you do so using the new Avast Uninstaller tool and uninstall ALL previous versions and products of Avast prior to re-installing?  This third step should be the LAST step after uninstalling all your other software and cleaning your machine.

Here are the steps for uninstalling Avast and doing a clean install (leave the Avast settings at default for now):

1. Save a copy of Avast and save it to your HDD:
http://www.avast.com/download-software – all versions
2. Download the Avast Uninstall Utility http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear6.exe and save it to your HDD.
3. Disconnect from the Internet at this time.
4. Go to Control Panel and uninstall Avast through Add/Remove Programs if possible and reboot.
5. If Step 4 fails, boot into Safe Mode (hit F8 repeatedly) and run the Avast Uninstall Tool.  Uninstall ALL previous versions and products of Avast at this time.
6. Reboot.
7. Install the newest version of Avast and reboot.
8. Get Internet access and register your copy for Free:
    Free – http://www.avast.com/registration-free-antivirus.php
9. Update the Avast definitions.

Let us know how this works for you.  Thank you.

Daris

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 12:12:14 PM »
I been running Spybot Off and on with Avast for awhile now anyways, maybe 4 or 5 years...I even had Spybot Portable on my USB for awhile and also Used PC tools Firewall with this combo and they worked Very well together..No they worked Awesome  together...
  I would do as suggested by the guys here though ON Searching for any previous Antivirus that could still have reminants left and or Firewalls...Also check if you have any old versions of Avast, and use the proper Uninstal tool for each from their websites...Also check your registry and delete any Old files, or versions....
   I didn't have any issues on my PC But just did a random searc for Avast.... even though I updated from the Avast Update button...But found some avast 5 folders there So did an Uninstall of all Avast and did a clean Install of Avast 6, and to my surprise my Web Shield wasn't working...To Make a long story short ...I did a Right Click on C drive ..Check Volume for errors ...after the check was done rebooted and all shields were working...Not saying that this will work in your case...just sharing my Opinion..
   Cheers and Safe Surfing!!!

JaceKiwi

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 01:10:47 AM »

How is this related to webshield?  ??? ??? ???

For email, you must disable SSL/TLS encryption in your email client and leave the ports at normal (25,110,143)

I have no idea - right-click - Open Avast! User Interface - REal-Time-Shields - Webshield - Protection status: SERVICE STOPPED!

JaceKiwi

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 01:23:00 AM »
It looks like PC tools firewall has something like Spybot built in.
This is not true.  PCT FW is just a FW only unless you installed a suite.

First, did you uninstall SB and TT with the uninstaller tools I posted previously, then reboot?

Second, when you uninstalled PCT FW, did you do it as the vendor suggested then reboot?  BTW, PCT leaves a LOT of remnants behind.  I highly suggest you go into Safe Mode > Advanced Search > type in PC Tools (and on other searches type: PCTools, Symantec, Norton) > anything that comes up on the right side of your screen if you are not sure if it is related to PCT you can right-click on the file for "Properties" to confirm.  If it is related to PCT, you can delete it and put it in the recycle bin and empty while in Safe Mode.  Since PCT is owned by Symantec/Norton, that is why you also need to search under these names as well, and they are known to leave remnants and a search or uninstalling this FW has shown to leave registry or drivers behind which may cause issues with other security software.  Did you reboot after uninstallation?  Turn on your Windows Firewall in XP for now so you have some kind of protection.  Eventually you will need a third-party 2-way FW like Avast IS; Online Armor (free or paid); Comodo (without AV); Outpost (free or paid) - these have not caused conflict with Avast.

Third, when you installed Avast, did you do so using the new Avast Uninstaller tool and uninstall ALL previous versions and products of Avast prior to re-installing?  This third step should be the LAST step after uninstalling all your other software and cleaning your machine.

Here are the steps for uninstalling Avast and doing a clean install (leave the Avast settings at default for now):

1. Save a copy of Avast and save it to your HDD:
http://www.avast.com/download-software – all versions
2. Download the Avast Uninstall Utility http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear6.exe and save it to your HDD.
3. Disconnect from the Internet at this time.
4. Go to Control Panel and uninstall Avast through Add/Remove Programs if possible and reboot.
5. If Step 4 fails, boot into Safe Mode (hit F8 repeatedly) and run the Avast Uninstall Tool.  Uninstall ALL previous versions and products of Avast at this time.
6. Reboot.
7. Install the newest version of Avast and reboot.
8. Get Internet access and register your copy for Free:
    Free – http://www.avast.com/registration-free-antivirus.php
9. Update the Avast definitions.

Let us know how this works for you.  Thank you.

So PC Tools isn't compatible with aVast either?

JaceKiwi

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 01:42:54 AM »
Even with no firewalls installed (using MS one) I still get the same errors.

Daris

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 07:36:32 AM »
PC Tools Firewall for me installed awesome with Avast and SpyShelter not even disabled....No Issues whatsoever...Not even on any ignore lists...They all work awesome...together!!
       Just thought I'd add that in case it would help any...
     Cheers!!! and safe surfing!!!