Author Topic: Can not enable webshield in Version 6.  (Read 11469 times)

doktornotor

Re: Can not enable webshield in Version 6.
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2011, 07:47:28 AM »
Uninstalled Spybot and Avast. Used cleaner and installed version specified and still get the same error:
"Avast! will not be able to protect mail/news (error 10091)."
How is this related to webshield?  ??? ??? ???
For email, you must disable SSL/TLS encryption in your email client and leave the ports at normal (25,110,143)
I have no idea - right-click - Open Avast! User Interface - REal-Time-Shields - Webshield - Protection status: SERVICE STOPPED!

Once again - how is this related to webshield?  ??? ??? ??? (IOW, stick with the topic here).

SafeSurf

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2011, 10:50:38 AM »
So PC Tools isn't compatible with aVast either?
You posted on 3/27/11 that you were uninstalling PCT FW.  That being said, you continued to have problems.  I posted that after uninstalling PCT FW, it is known to leave many remnants behind and posted how to remove them because if remnants are left behind and you try to install another security software (AV, FW, or anything else), it can cause conflicts.

PCT FW is compatible, although some users in the past with an older version did report problems.  You have a different version so I cannot comment on it.  In addition, everyone's set up is different.

Questions:
1. You state now that you are using the Windows FW, however did you check your machine for remnants after uninstalling PCT FW?  Did you actually uninstall PCT FW or just "disable" it?  I need clarification.

2. Did you do an Avast uninstall and clean install per the instructions I posted?  If so, did you leave the settings at default?

3. Did you uninstall SB and TT per the instructions posted?

Next, I'd like you to to an MBAM scan to make sure we are not missing something:
Check your computer for malware with Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware (MBAM).
·   Download free http://www.malwarebytes.org/ (the blue button) for an on-demand scanner.
·   Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
·   After install, click update so you have latest database before scanning.
·   Under Settings:
o   General: Automatically Save File After Scan Completes is checked off
o   Scanner SettingsCheck all boxes
o   Updater: Download and install update if available is checked off
·   Once the program has loaded, select "Perform FULL Scan", then click Scan.
·   The scan may take some time to finish, so please be patient.
·   When the disinfection scan is complete, a log will appear in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart. (See Extra Note).
·   Click the “remove selected” button to quarantine anything found.  You will find the infection details under the Quarantine tab.
·   The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
·   Copy & Paste the entire report in your next reply.

Thank you.

JaceKiwi

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2011, 01:41:43 AM »
Questions:
1. I've re-installed PC Tools as it is better than MS and others posted there is no issue with it

2. Exactly as posted here and email directly from Avast

3. Yes

Next, I'd like you to to an MBAM scan to make sure we are not missing something:
·   Done.
·   Done
·   It won't update - says there's a firewall proxy error - there is no way to set these up in MBAM?
·   Under Settings:
o   Done
o   Done
o   Not visible
·   Once the program has loaded, select "Perform FULL Scan", then click Scan.
·   The scan may take some time to finish, so please be patient.
·   When the disinfection scan is complete, a log will appear in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart. (See Extra Note).
·   Click the “remove selected” button to quarantine anything found.  You will find the infection details under the Quarantine tab.
·   The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
·   Copy & Paste the entire report in your next reply.

SafeSurf

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2011, 11:28:18 AM »
·   It won't update - says there's a firewall proxy error - there is no way to set these up in MBAM?
MBAM needs to be updated prior to doing a scan every time.  Go into your firewall (FW) but under Advanced Settings.  Check for MBAB (Malwarebytes Antimalware) and see if there is a yellow or red dot or a question mark indicating that it is being blocked.  If so, right click it and "allow" it so that you now "trust" MBAM in your FW.  If you stay in the Advanced settings of your FW, leave it there, otherwise, change it back to the basic settings you had.

Now you should be able to update MBAM.  Open MBAM > click Update > then scan and follow the rest of my previous directions.

If this fails to work, check to see if you put a proxy on your FW that is preventing you from updating MBAM.  Can you surf on the Internet and update Avast without problems?

Let me know if you have any questions or problems.  Thank you.

JaceKiwi

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2011, 12:00:04 AM »
Shouldn't be using proxy - there is no way to set one in mbam. I disabled the firewall completely to see if mbam updated - still same error.
Now after running mbam i get: "avast will not be able to protect mail/news (error 10091).
Please check that the avast service (Avastsvc.exe) is not blocked by your personal firewall."

So it made things worse, not better!

SafeSurf

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2011, 10:05:47 AM »
Shouldn't be using proxy - there is no way to set one in mbam.
There is a way to set a proxy in MBAM.  If you do not use a proxy, please make sure it is not accidentally enabled in MBAM:

- Open the MBAM GUI > Settings > Update Settings > make sure the box for "Use proxy server to download updates" is unchecked.

Please check that the avast service (Avastsvc.exe) is not blocked by your personal firewall."
Even though you disabled your FW, it remains on your machine and the drivers and registries are still there.  Open up your FW and look to see if anything related to Avast is blocked (in red under Advanced settings), and if so enable it so that it is not blocked. 

There is something else going on here that needs further investigation.  What version and product of Avast are you using now?  Please give me the exact #.  The current version is 6.0.1091.  If you don't have this version on your machine, please do an Avast Repair:
- Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > Avast Antivirus.
- Scroll down and choose Repair function in the pop-up window.
- Reboot.
- Then upgrade to v. 6.0.1091 and reboot again.
- Make sure your definitions are up to date and you are registered.

To investigate what is going on further, please follow the directions for obtaining the OTS logs (save them as ANSI and not Unicode).  Post the OTS log as an attachment (Additional Options > Attach > Post).  After you post your log, I will also have someone called Essexboy take a look at it as well.

Let me know if you have any questions.  Thank you.

JaceKiwi

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2011, 09:49:59 AM »
I've narrowed the problem down: I uninstalled Vodafone 9.4 and the problem went away. Re-installed it so I could use internet on 3G (Version 9.3 greys out some options) and the problem came back.

SafeSurf

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2011, 10:29:51 AM »
I've narrowed the problem down: I uninstalled Vodafone 9.4 and the problem went away. Re-installed it so I could use internet on 3G (Version 9.3 greys out some options) and the problem came back.
Now that you figured out the problem (Vodaphone being the issue), is there any way to put Vodophone on a different machine by any chance or use something different?  If not, I will have you submit a mini-dump file with Vodaphone while having the problem so that Avast can see the conflict and try and resolve the issue for the next release version if possible.

JaceKiwi

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2011, 06:30:16 AM »
Once Kinect get their act together I will dump vodafone. The webshield log is showing no errors. How do I get to the log you want?

SafeSurf

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2011, 08:06:14 AM »
Here is additional information on how to invoke a memory dump file:  http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=71.

Please, zip and upload the C:\Windows\Memory.dmp file to this anonymous ftp server and name it uniquely giving us the name of the file in this thread: ftp.avast.com/incoming.  Avast will analyze it and respond back to you in this thread.

If you are having difficulty with dump file:

-   Using Internet Explorer, Connect to the link and drag the file into the Right pane and drop it, that starts the upload, you don't have read access to this folder, so you won't be able to see it once uploaded.
Or
-   Upload it using the Run command-line in Windows: Windows Key + R (to get the run box), copy and paste this:

and drag the file into the window, from another explorer window.