Author Topic: Ask.com Toolbar  (Read 22765 times)

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • I wish I could write longer personal text!!
    • Homepage
Ask.com Toolbar
« on: March 27, 2011, 09:58:54 AM »
I've been installing another program contain (damned!) ask toolbar. I unchecked ask toolbar and clicked next, Firewall asked me if I want allow ask toolbar, I blocked, yet I noticed Ask toolbar got download and installed, I don't like this, if they do such things to install their toolbar should not AVs start thinking of block that as 'adware'?
Twitter: OmidFarhangEn - OS: Manjaro KDE

doktornotor

Re: Ask.com Toolbar
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 10:06:59 AM »
Care to name the program so that others avoid it? (You need to enable PUP detection, otherwise nothing will detect it, not even avast.)

SafeSurf

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 10:14:43 AM »
You may want to try this to uninstall the toolbar http://autoclean.computersitter.com/documentation/li/ask-toolbar-remover.  But please let us know what you downloaded so we can avoid it.  Thank you.

doktornotor

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 10:16:50 AM »
But please let us know what you downloaded so we can avoid it.  Thank you.

Also a recommended reading:

Installers Hall of Shame (Unwanted add-on)
Products with Ask Toolbar

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Bronies make the web go round
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 10:17:22 AM »
I wish Antivirus would have a pop up asking you if you want it to block the download of a toolbar or just let it install.
Webbrowser: Mozilla Firefox
PC Specs: Intel i5-12400f, Nvidia RTX 3050, 16gb ram, 1.5TB SSD(s).

doktornotor

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 10:18:01 AM »
I wish Antivirus would have a pop up asking you if you want it to block the download of a toolbar or just let it install.

As said elsewhere - enable PUP detection and set it to ask (not .com  :P)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 10:21:49 AM »
Did you happen to install the latest update from pdf xchange ? i just noticed in task manager that the ask toolbar was running while i had the browser open so i killed it then restarted the browser and no more ask bar, i also unticked the the ask bar during install but it seems to have gone though anyway  >:( in checking the manage add on's there is nothing in there though, i did also notice an entry for it in my firewall so that has also been deleted, i have the pups turned on and no notification whatsoever.

SafeSurf

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 10:22:39 AM »
I wish the Hall of Shame were more up to date.  There is a forum (can't remember where now) discussing the Ask toolbar, but you can delete it with persistence.  I also block a lot of the ad-ware with my firewall. 

Omid, I believe if you run a Secunia PSI scan after you uninstall the toolbar it tells you if you still have the toolbar hidden somewhere on your machine.  I've even gone into Safe Mode to double check to make sure it was gone. >:(

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • Homepage
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 10:23:20 AM »
@doktornotor: If I remember right its been Shark007 Win7Codec Pack 2.76 or another program, I'm not sure, That day I've been upgrading many programs so I don't remember it happened with which one.

@SafeSurf: I know how to uninstall or how to avoid that, I'm talking about should we consider Ask.com Toolbar as a missed adware sample or not?

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • Homepage
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 10:27:10 AM »
@craigb: No, not that program, but Scenario is same.

@SafeSurf: And about PSI, yeah that's my point. they are not releasing a Toolbar anymore, they are installing their toolbar and running that even users say No to that. This is a Malware!

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • Homepage
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 10:29:04 AM »
It's not AV Job, it's HIPS job.
AVs can just detect dirty Toolbars like Ask.com as Adware/ or BHO/

doktornotor

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 10:32:31 AM »
@doktornotor: If I remember right its been Shark007 Win7Codec Pack 2.76 or another program, I'm not sure, That day I've been upgrading many programs so I don't remember it happened

Please, avoid codec packs.

Media Player Classic Home Cinema + ffdshow (I recommend latest SVN or SVN ICL10 on x86) is all you need.

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • Homepage
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 10:44:41 AM »
Please, avoid codec packs.

Media Player Classic Home Cinema + ffdshow (I recommend latest SVN or SVN ICL10 on x86) is all you need.
I don't like MPlayerc HC and still use Original MPlayerc by gabest slightly modified by myself, and FFdshow always latest 'SVN builds by clsid'. :)
Win7Codec Packs is clean codec pack with good reputation. Anyway Thanks for your comment.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 12:52:55 PM by Omid Farhang »

Dch48

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 11:21:45 PM »
Did you happen to install the latest update from pdf xchange ? i just noticed in task manager that the ask toolbar was running while i had the browser open so i killed it then restarted the browser and no more ask bar, i also unticked the the ask bar during install but it seems to have gone though anyway  >:( in checking the manage add on's there is nothing in there though, i did also notice an entry for it in my firewall so that has also been deleted, i have the pups turned on and no notification whatsoever.
I installed the latest PDF-XChange update by using the Live Update feature, told it not to install ASK and it didn't install it. It worked the way it should have.

I use Media Player Classic HC and it works great. I was advised to go to it from the original MPC for security reasons. I also use Format Factory that installs the ffdshow package automatically so I'm covered as far as codecs go.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 11:25:47 PM by Dch48 »

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2011, 06:04:08 AM »
I installed the latest PDF-XChange update by using the Live Update feature, told it not to install ASK and it didn't install it. It worked the way it should have.

+1 I also did the same thing as well ;)
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip