Author Topic: Ask.com Toolbar  (Read 22786 times)

Offline Simion

• Advanced Poster
Re: Ask.com Toolbar
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2011, 07:19:31 AM »
Ask.com Toolbar appears to be getting more aggressive. I have never knowingly installed the toolbar, and it doesn't appear in Add/Remove or browsers, yet I found an entry for it in my registry a few weeks ago. Sorry, I didn't save the key or path.

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • I wish I could write longer personal text!!
    • Homepage
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2011, 09:32:05 AM »
Ask.com Toolbar appears to be getting more aggressive. I have never knowingly installed the toolbar, and it doesn't appear in Add/Remove or browsers, yet I found an entry for it in my registry a few weeks ago. Sorry, I didn't save the key or path.
That's my point and some people goes off-topic about codecs or how to update a program, no one shared their opinion if Ask.com can be added to antimalware database-ess as Adware or not.... ;)
Twitter: OmidFarhangEn - OS: Manjaro KDE

doktornotor

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2011, 09:41:47 AM »
That's my point and some people goes off-topic about codecs or how to update a program, no one shared their opinion if Ask.com can be added to antimalware database-ess as Adware or not.... ;)

PUP-Adware, PUA-Adware or whatever, already done for most of these toolbars by most of the vendors. Don't see what is the request here.

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • Homepage
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2011, 10:55:21 AM »
......Don't see what is the request here.
Doktor, this is not a request, just discussion.
I never post a request in forum, I send them directly. You talk like you think you are Alwil member, I'm glad if my topic (too) helped you rise your post counts and help you think you are becoming overseer here! ;)

news

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2011, 04:29:08 PM »
......Don't see what is the request here.
Doktor, this is not a request, just discussion.
I never post a request in forum, I send them directly. You talk like you think you are Alwil member, I'm glad if my topic (too) helped you rise your post counts and help you think you are becoming overseer here! ;)

Thanks so much for the info. you've provided Omid Farhang. I wasn't familiar with the subject matter, always a learning curve for me. I am now.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2011, 04:57:04 AM »
Windows 7 Firewall Control is good at catching Ask Toolbar trying to install on computers. ;)

http://majorgeeks.com/Windows_7_Firewall_Control_d5578.html

Requires: Win7/Vista  32bit and 64bit versions.

I run it in concert with Windows fw.

Offline Cast

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2011, 12:12:49 PM »
i would say that anything that comes with another installation should be considered adware since if you wanted it u would of installed it yourself instead of installing another program and have that one install it for u as well, unless that other installation is needed for the program to run correctly.

Dch48

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2011, 09:45:18 PM »
I don't think it should be added to the database because it's not malware and a lot of people use it and enjoy it.

fredvries

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2011, 10:38:11 PM »
The Ask toolbar can easily, safely and quickly be removed with T-Tools AntiSeptic.

See here for more info and download.

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • Homepage
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2011, 10:34:23 AM »
I don't think it should be added to the database because it's not malware and a lot of people use it and enjoy it.
You mean because some people use and enjoy it, they are allowed to be installed same way a rouge AV install?! Without user notice or permission?

The Ask toolbar can easily, safely and quickly be removed with T-Tools AntiSeptic.

See here for more info and download.
There are many tools which can remove legal and illegal products, and Thanks for sharing, What do you think about add Ask.com Toolbar to avast database?

doktornotor

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2011, 10:48:38 AM »
You mean because some people use and enjoy it, they are allowed to be installed same way a rouge AV install?! Without user notice or permission?

May I suggest that you simply stop using products of vendors who do this?

Installers Hall of Shame (Unwanted add-on)
Products with Ask Toolbar

What do you think about add Ask.com Toolbar to avast database?

You will just get a flood of angry users who blindly enabled PUP detection and now complain about well-known benign products they just downloaded are getting detected as "virus".

fredvries

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2011, 02:12:51 PM »
What do you think about add Ask.com Toolbar to avast database

I think that if some people want to use this toolbar and find it useful, it should not be included in avast (or any other AV or AS program).

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2011, 03:47:55 PM »
One of the most boring things... discover the association of some program with ask toolbar.
No, no.
The best things in life are free.

Dch48

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2011, 09:24:37 PM »
I have a number of applications that ask whether you want to install an optional toolbar. ASK is just one. They also include Yahoo, Google, MSN, etc. I always choose not to install them and I have never had one that installed itself after I told it not to and clicked the right option afterwards. I had one recently where clicking on next was NOT the right thing to do. There was another option you had to choose even after deselecting the toolbar. (The application is Hyper Cam 2. If you click next like you usually would, it's toolbar gets installed anyway and it changes your home page.)

None of these toolbars should be included in the Avast! database.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 09:29:51 PM by Dch48 »

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2011, 09:32:53 PM »
@doktornotor: If I remember right its been Shark007 Win7Codec Pack 2.76 or another program, I'm not sure, That day I've been upgrading many programs so I don't remember it happened with which one.

@SafeSurf: I know how to uninstall or how to avoid that, I'm talking about should we consider Ask.com Toolbar as a missed adware sample or not?

Just a suggestion Omid, AFAIK installing xvid on your system pretty much includes every codec pack you'd ever need, and VLC player will play anything you'd ever need.  With just those to progs, you could probably avoid everything else.  I might be wrong, but I haven't seen a file that I wasn't able to play with just those two.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum