Author Topic: Avast 6 Free Final Review and Malware Test  (Read 16798 times)

Offline ky331

Re: Avast 6 Free Final Review and Malware Test
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2011, 01:46:16 PM »
let's consider the positive aspects of the review:   avast's Web+Network shields did a fantastic job at preventing most of the malware samples from infecting the computer in the first place --- only 1 sample "slipped through".   To me, PREVENTION is far more important/significant than (after-the-fact) removal... and avast did very well here!! :-)

I also was pleased to see the excellent job MBAM did at (after-the-fact) removal.

I have both programs installed (with only avast running in real-time).   Fortunately, I haven't ever needed to rely on MBAM to remove things (since my surfing habits and/or preventive protection are doing a great job)... but I'm glad to know what MBAM is capable of doing, if ever I were to need it.

All in all, I see the positives:   avast does a great job at protecting the user, and MBAM does an excellent job at cleaning up messes.
Lenovo T530 laptop, Intel Core i5-3320M @ 2.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro SP1 (64-bit), avast! 17 Free, MBAM3 Pro, Windows Firewall, MVPS HOSTS file, OpenDNS Family Shield, Zemana AntiLogger Free, SpywareBlaster, IE11 & Firefox [both using WOT (IE set to WARN, FF set to BLOCK)], WinPatrol PLUS, uBlock Origin, MBAE, MCShield, CryptoPrevent, SAS (on-demand scanner). 
[I believe computer-users who sandbox (Sandboxie) are acting prudently.]

Dieselman

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2011, 01:47:30 PM »
He took the video down. Go figure. What ever. I made a video when I was using KIS but yet I knew everything about it. Its called "KIS in action" for those interested.

Offline danny96

• Malware Fighter
  • Advanced Poster
  • No-malware!
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2011, 02:15:51 PM »
He took the video down.
LOL for this I'll give him thumbs up :D

BTW
Cudgelwap1: Sorry everyone. My Avast video was somewhat of a dud. It was too improvised, and I will be making another improved version soon.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 02:19:32 PM by danny96 »
Real-time protection and Firewall: COMODO Internet Security 12.0.0.6810 -- Additional Protection: Web Of Trust, Ublock, NoScript, Malwarebytes Premium, Avast! Online Security, Hitman Pro -- OS: Windows 10

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2011, 02:21:58 PM »
BTW
Cudgelwap1: Sorry everyone. My Avast video was somewhat of a dud. It was too improvised, and I will be making another improved version soon.

Cool. 8)
More laughs on the horizon... ;D
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline danny96

• Malware Fighter
  • Advanced Poster
  • No-malware!
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2011, 02:23:04 PM »
More laughs on the horizon... ;D

LOL :D
...He will first learn something about avast! and then post a video
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 02:24:35 PM by danny96 »
Real-time protection and Firewall: COMODO Internet Security 12.0.0.6810 -- Additional Protection: Web Of Trust, Ublock, NoScript, Malwarebytes Premium, Avast! Online Security, Hitman Pro -- OS: Windows 10

Dieselman

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2011, 02:32:58 PM »
Your suppose to learn the product before testing it. The only failure I see here is not from Avast but from the user recording it.  :)

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2011, 02:33:50 PM »
I wouldn't want to laugh at that boy's video removing action.

Hats off to this boy - he made a mistake and he admits it and he tries to correct it. That is way much more than many, many other people would do.

Let's wait for his new video and see.

On my part, I like his corrective action. Somewhat courageous.
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2011, 02:44:22 PM »
I need a drink of whiskey 8)
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v23.11.6090 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2011, 02:46:26 PM »

True, but he hadn't any other options left. ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • tex62
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2011, 02:58:31 PM »
I need a drink of whiskey 8)

+1 ;-) Arriba!

True, but he hadn't any other options left. ;)

He could have just left it as it was, couldn't he? ;-)
Anyway, we're looking forward to the new, improved "review"... coming up next in a theatre near you.  ;D
Free MBAM Clear

naren17

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2011, 02:58:38 PM »
let's consider the positive aspects of the review:   avast's Web+Network shields did a fantastic job at preventing most of the malware samples from infecting the computer in the first place --- only 1 sample "slipped through".   To me, PREVENTION is far more important/significant than (after-the-fact) removal... and avast did very well here!! :-)

I also was pleased to see the excellent job MBAM did at (after-the-fact) removal.

I have both programs installed (with only avast running in real-time).   Fortunately, I haven't ever needed to rely on MBAM to remove things (since my surfing habits and/or preventive protection are doing a great job)... but I'm glad to know what MBAM is capable of doing, if ever I were to need it.

All in all, I see the positives:   avast does a great job at protecting the user, and MBAM does an excellent job at cleaning up messes.

Avast Network Shield & Web Shield did good so good for Avast. But I want to know if the same threats blocked by these shields come through external media like pendrive, etc. would Avast File Shield block it i.e does the threats detected by webshield & network shield are even detected & blocked by the Avast's main  residential File Shield. I have seen reviews where the web protection of the security products are good at blocking but if continued to the site & downloaded  the threats, the On-Access protection wasn't able to detect the threats. So its like the threat is detected by web protection of the product if its coming through web but the same threat is not detected by the onaccess protection if its coming through external drive like pendrive, etc. What about Avast? Does Avast's main shield File shield detects everything detected by other shield or not?

Thanxx
Naren

Thanxx
Naren

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2011, 03:05:40 PM »
Definitely no Avast! expert ;)

By disabling the File System Shield you also disable the AutoSandbox, and he didn't even know that ;D

Greetz, Red.

Yes, he's a square idiot. However, he made one point visible (even though unintentionally): wouldn't be too bad if the menu "Extra Protection" showed the Sandbox being disabled when FSS is turned off.

It should also be mentioned ( maybe even highlighted ) in the 'Component Stop' warning/dialog that pops-up when you want to disable the File System Shield.

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • tex62
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2011, 03:09:01 PM »
Definitely no Avast! expert ;)

By disabling the File System Shield you also disable the AutoSandbox, and he didn't even know that ;D

Greetz, Red.

Yes, he's a square idiot. However, he made one point visible (even though unintentionally): wouldn't be too bad if the menu "Extra Protection" showed the Sandbox being disabled when FSS is turned off.

It should also be mentioned ( maybe even highlighted ) in the 'Component Stop' warning/dialog that pops-up when you want to disable the File System Shield.

Greetz, Red.

Agreed.

Sandboxing is a very important part of Avast.
Free MBAM Clear

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2011, 03:10:10 PM »
1. He could have just left it as it was, couldn't he? ;-)
2. Anyway, we're looking forward to the new, improved "review"... coming up next in a theatre near you.  ;D

1. No, this was too bad... ;)
2. Yep, let's see what foollows up. (That's no typo, btw.) ;D

Offline danny96

• Malware Fighter
  • Advanced Poster
  • No-malware!
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2011, 04:15:16 PM »
1. He could have just left it as it was, couldn't he? ;-)
2. Anyway, we're looking forward to the new, improved "review"... coming up next in a theatre near you.  ;D

1. No, this was too bad... ;)
2. Yep, let's see what foollows up. (That's no typo, btw.) ;D

foolows up :)