Author Topic: A Look At The Competition and Some Questions?  (Read 6707 times)

Jack 1000

A Look At The Competition and Some Questions?
« on: March 28, 2011, 05:52:45 AM »
We all know about how great Avast is for many, many years for its frequency of updates, deep heuristics scanning, customizable scanning options, the Boot Time Scan availability, which no other free versions have AFAIK, and the new Sandbox virutualized environment, now available in Avast 6 Free!

My question is, how do the other Anti-Virus companies such as Norton, AVG, McAfee, and MSE-(Microsoft Security Essentials) deal with updates and scanning?  And what Anti-Virus programs did you have before Avast?

Here is my story.

Years ago, when I had my first computer, I had a demo version of McAfee, (back in 1998, running Windows 98.)  I did not know anything about Anti-Virus software, and somehow McAfee got corrupted and my system would hang on boot-up.  I uninstalled it and for years had no Anti-Virus on the machine!

I can't remember what I first went to, it might have been AVG 7.  At the time, AVG 7 was pretty good and not the bloated mess it became with AVG 8 on up.  I recall putting some other security stuff on the computer, I think Spybot Search and Destroy and the shield program, Spyware Blaster.  A full scan and cleaning found over 650 malware and Trojans!!!

Eventually the computer died due to age and and the infections on it.  In about 2004, I got My Gateway with Windows XP, (same system I use today) Six years later, completely reformatted and cleaned going through trial and error before the clean up with a demo version of Norton. (Always caused slow shutdowns)  Over the years, I knew that AVG when they went to version 8 was a resource hog, and everything above it.  So, following adding RAM to the computer, cleaning the keyboard and tower case, reformatting the hard drive, the ONLY security software that I have is now the best there is, Avast and Malware Bytes Anti-Malware and Web of Trust.  I have had no infections. since March of 2005 with this small, but simple combination of services and the machine runs very, very well.  Also a secured router for my wireless network.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 05:54:37 AM by Jack 1000 »

Dch48

Re: A Look At The Competition and Some Questions?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 06:30:36 AM »
I first got on line back in 1999. I started out with v4 something of McAfee's AV and was satisfied with it and the following v5. When v6 came out, I paid to download it and could never get it to work right. I was in constant email and live chat with their support trying to fix the problem and they kept assuring me they would find the problem and make it work. Then one day they said they could not find out what was going on and could offer me no more assistance so I then asked for a refund. They told me that the refund period for downloaded software was 30 days and I was past that so they couldn't help me there either. This again , was after constant contact and them assuring me they would fix it.  I immediately switched to Norton and once I did , wondered why I hadn't used it from the beginning. It was so much better than McAfee. I stayed with Norton from 2001 to 2009, going from just the AV to the full Internet Security Suite in 2005 and upgrading every successive year. I was always pleased with Norton and never had a single problem, slowdown, or infection. In 2009, I decided to see what level of protection I could get for free and switched to Comodo Internet Security. After a year of dealing with the annoying HIPS popups for safe and necessary actions, and then the horrible sandbox they introduced, I grew disenchanted with their approach and switched to the free Avast! in May of 2010. I'm not sorry I did. Avast! is the best in my opinion.

On the Vista machine here we first tried MSE and it worked fairly good but had times when it didn't update for days at a time. They told us it really didn't matter unless you were out of date by more than a week. What a joke. What made us give up on MSE and put Avast! on that machine as well was what happened both times MSE put out an update to the program itself. On both occasions, the upgrade aborted in the middle after partially uninstalling the old version leaving the machine with no protection whatsoever until I could manually complete the uninstallation of the old version and remove all the left over registry entries and other things. Then and only then was I able to download and install the updated version. Avast! has now been upgraded through the program gui 2 or 3 times on that same machine with no problems whatsoever.

Offline Ashish Singh

• Poster
  • Proud to be an Indian
    • Quick Heal
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 06:49:43 AM »
Well on my side I was using Quick Heal Total Security on my pc starting from XP pro. I never had a problem with that but just one that is its too costly which I can not afford. It has the best virus detection till now. But it lacks in other aspects like sandbox it does not have, Rest every thing is there a very simple to use interface and every thing Quick heal has is just the best.
          I know many of you may not have heard about Quick Heal. So as I cannot afford it so i was searching for a AV which is free and I got avast as highly rated though I don't like its interface as I do for Quick Heal Total Security 2010 or 2011 but a minor compromise is good as they (avast people) told me that they are going to keep this interface and there will not be any change. But still ok as long as I can't afford Quick Heal as I m currently not working
Windows 7 Ultimate(32 bit), avast! free (always latest released or beta), Intel Core2Duo, 2GB RAM, Outpost Firewall Pro 7.5,IE 9,TuneUp Utilities 2011,Diskeeper 2011

http://www.incredibleindia.org 

Caution! Online world is full of man made Aliens

Offline Ashish Singh

• Poster
  • Proud to be an Indian
    • Quick Heal
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 03:38:41 PM »
Nobody else has a story?????????
Windows 7 Ultimate(32 bit), avast! free (always latest released or beta), Intel Core2Duo, 2GB RAM, Outpost Firewall Pro 7.5,IE 9,TuneUp Utilities 2011,Diskeeper 2011

http://www.incredibleindia.org 

Caution! Online world is full of man made Aliens

doktornotor

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 03:57:04 PM »

Hermite15

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 04:01:15 PM »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 04:36:48 PM »
@ Jack 1000
This really has nothing to do with the avast! Free/Pro/Suite forum, even with a degree of latitude I don't even see why it would go in the General forum either.

I don't really care how other AVs deal with updates and scanning, my only concern is how avast does that, more so since this is the official 'avast! support forum.'

What AV I had seven years a go is pretty immaterial.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline sooners2win

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 06:13:26 AM »
I thought he was bragging on Avast, you seem a little harsh on him
a6750f, amd phenom 9650quad core processor 2.30Ghz, Ram 8GB, Microsoft Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP2,Avast7 Free,Comodo Firewall, Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, Ccleaner, FF3.6.14,Google Chrome.

dansorin

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 07:25:22 AM »
this is a topic for the "general" forum.

SafeSurf

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 11:14:38 AM »
this is a topic for the "general" forum.
Agreed.  Thread was posted in wrong section of forum.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 02:44:15 PM »
I thought he was bragging on Avast, you seem a little harsh on him

I don't know if this was directly at me, if so, no I don't think it harsh as it really has nothing to do with the avast! Free/Pro/Suite forum, e.g. how other AVs deal with updates and scanning, etc.

As you can see from the other posts above it rapidly deteriorated into a tell me your story waffle, which again really shouldn't be in the avast! Free/Pro/Suite forum.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

doktornotor

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 03:20:54 PM »
As you can see from the other posts above it rapidly deteriorated into a tell me your story waffle, which again really shouldn't be in the avast! Free/Pro/Suite forum.

So why do not you move it to the General section or lock it? Really I wonder sometime what the moderators are good for here.  >:(

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 04:07:01 PM »
Because I'm not a moderator or guess what, I would have.

dansorin

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 04:41:45 PM »
... it really has nothing to do with the avast! Free/Pro/Suite forum, e.g. how other AVs deal with updates and scanning...
David made a good argument here.

Jack 1000

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 07:31:50 PM »
Sorry!

Mods or admin, please move to the appropriate forum!  ;D

Right, I was telling about how I got to my experiences with Avast and discovered its greatness over time.

Jack