Author Topic: Please tell me.: which free firewall?  (Read 6421 times)

Daris

Re: Please tell me.: which free firewall?
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2011, 07:20:21 AM »
     Prior to PC Tools firewall I tried the Outpost awhile back...Wasn't too bad at all, although I found it slowed down my XP laptop a bit...Using PC Tools firewall now with Avast 6, Spywareblaster, and Spyshelter free....Have to say this combo is awesome...Spyshelter itself acts as a firewall although its an anti Keylogger....Also works as spyware protection...Not much can go unnoticed by this software program...Very Fast, easy set up, easily adjusted...Works awesome....Just thought I'd share this info with someone....
       Cheers!!!! and safe surfing!!!

Offline Ashish Singh

• Poster
  • Proud to be an Indian
    • Quick Heal
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2011, 08:38:03 AM »
Well I dont think Outpost sucks system resources any more...  8)
Watch this...
Windows 7 Ultimate(32 bit), avast! free (always latest released or beta), Intel Core2Duo, 2GB RAM, Outpost Firewall Pro 7.5,IE 9,TuneUp Utilities 2011,Diskeeper 2011

http://www.incredibleindia.org 

Caution! Online world is full of man made Aliens

SafeSurf

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2011, 10:33:44 AM »
Online Armor (OA) has HIPS as well as anti-keylogger features.  OA can be set up for beginners or advanced users.  As with most security software, adding the software as exclusions will avoid potential conflicts although I've never had any.  Here is how to add OA and Avast exclusions:

To exclude OA in Avast:

·   Settings > Exclusions > Add > search for Online Armor and click on the box to the left of it and add it, then click OK.
·   Real Time Shields > Expert Settings > Trusted Processes > Add > search for Online Armor and click on the box to the left of it and add it, then click OK.
·   Behavior Shield > Expert Settings > Trusted Processes > Add > search for Online Armor and click on the box to the left of it and add it, then click OK.  Also change action to take in Behavior Shield to “Ask.”

To exclude Avast in OA:

·   Open the OA GUI > Options > Exclusions > Add > click on the pop-up window and find C:\Program Files\Awil Software\ (for Avast).

·   When you reboot OA (to go into Learning Mode), make sure ALL Avast shields are left on.

·   Reboot your machine again; OA requires two boots.  After this second reboot, you may get a pop-up asking you if you trust Avast.  Answer the pop-up as "Trust Always" and "Remember My Decision" and you should not get any more pop-ups.  Answer incorrectly and you will get future pop-ups.

·   Open the OA GUI > Programs > untick "Hide Trusted" so that you can see everything > look to make sure everything from Avast is not "blocked" (red) or "ask" (yellow).  If it is, right-click the item and change it to "Trust."  Reboot.