Author Topic: New computer. Firewall is not available!!  (Read 3638 times)

dboz

New computer. Firewall is not available!!
« on: March 25, 2011, 11:33:50 PM »
I just purchased a new laptop.  It comes with McAfee which I did not activate.  I installed AVAST Pro and inserted my license key.  It was fine.  I did a reboot and it comes up and say I am unprotected and that FIREWALL is unavailable or when I click to fix, shield is unavailable.  I did a change on the program and reloaded it again.  No change.  I have this on two other computers and never had this problem.  I am running Windows 7.  I am also a computer NOOB in general so I have no clue about what to do when something does not work right.

Thanks for some help!!

doktornotor

Re: New computer. Firewall is not available!!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 11:35:47 PM »
You MUST uninstall McAfee (activated or not does not matter). I would suggest a reinstall of avast after that.

Removal Tool: http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

Dch48

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 12:13:25 AM »
You didn't say which Firewall was unavailable. Is it the Windows Firewall or McAfee's or even Avast's? If you're talking about the Avast Firewall, it's not included in Avast! Pro but only in AIS.

You absolutely should completely get rid of McAfee as has been said.

Hermite15

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 12:25:20 AM »
You MUST uninstall McAfee (activated or not does not matter)

+1

... he's talking about Avast firewall... strange as he mentioned that he installed the pro version... I've already had the issue in certain conditions, ie uninstall and re-install the firewall module, it just wouldn't start, no service present etc...only way out is a re-install from scratch. Repair may work, not sure.

dboz

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 11:22:46 AM »
Sorry about the confusion.  I was really frustrated last night. This is for INTERNET SECURITY, not PRO!!   I will try the McAfee removal.  I am out of town now, so I will not get to this until MONDAY.

doktornotor

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 11:47:49 AM »
Please report your progress (or lack of  :P) then.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 12:05:49 PM »
dboz, removing McAfee (and using the removal tool) and installing avast from scratch should solve that.
The best things in life are free.

dboz

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 07:43:12 PM »
I had to install and uninstall several times but I finally go it working.  The link to the McAfee removal was key.  Simply doing a program uninstall did not fix the problem.

Thanks for the help.

doktornotor

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 09:36:09 PM »
Good. Thanks for reporting back.