Author Topic: Emulation definitions in firewall  (Read 2616 times)

bilini

Emulation definitions in firewall
« on: June 04, 2011, 12:40:07 PM »
Hi there,

I have Avast" free running with ZoneAlarm free firewall. In the firewall programs list I'm getting a build-up of emulation engine lists,they look like this.

c.program files\avastsoftware\avast\defs\1106030\s

To date I now have 19 entries, all this month.

10/5 = 1 entry
16/5 = 2 entries
26/5 = 11 entries
31/5 = 5 entries

I don't know whether to allow, block or delete them. ZoneAlarm sets them to 'ask' status. Can you tell me why they appear and if they need to be in the firewall list at all? If I get similar amounts every month I'll get a firewall program list a mile long. Many thanks :)

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: Emulation definitions in firewall
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 08:41:11 PM »
I have not used ZoneAlarm but I have read that ZoneAlarm could cause conflicts with avast. Have you tried Online Armor or Comodo? If you use Comodo don't use the one with the av as this also could cause conflicts.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 09:06:54 PM »
That will be sf.bin, the emulation engine for avast.

It is used to emulate code to see what it does, and if that code comes from the internet, i.e. avast is checking code on a website, then it will need firewall permissions.

Not exactly sure why there would be so many entries other than the fact that sf.bin changes with every virus database update (hence it's location) so ZA may see this as a new entry...

« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 09:08:25 PM by spg SCOTT »

bilini

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 09:33:32 PM »
Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

Since my original post I now have three more, 22 in total, again ZoneAlarm configures them to 'ask'.

I've looked at all the settings both in Avast and Zonealarm but don't see anything that might be the cause so I'll take your advice and try a different firewall, there doesn't seem to be an easy answer to sort this. If I purchased paid up Avast would it solve my problems? I had nothing but trouble with paid up AVG.

Thanks again.