Author Topic: more licencse number probs  (Read 5863 times)

very-frustrated

more licencse number probs
« on: September 20, 2004, 04:48:15 PM »
When i enter my number to register the product it says invalid.  Ive copied and pasted it into the box so there are no typos, and re-registered 3 times but still nothing.

I did a search on the forums for problems with the licence key and several others have experienced it but no one seemed to have a solution.   Im using Windows ME by the way.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re:more licencse number probs
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2004, 06:41:35 PM »
What product is it? (Home or Pro)?
Is your system time/date set correctly?

very-frustrated

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2004, 06:48:28 PM »
home version, and the system date is set ok.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2004, 10:12:19 PM »
home version, and the system date is set ok.

Did you try uninstall / boot / install / boot and then register?
You will regret about your forum name  ;D
Wellcome to forums
The best things in life are free.

very-frustrated

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2004, 12:07:05 AM »
Thanks for your responses but i've decided to delete it from my computer.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2004, 05:49:15 PM »
I'm sorry that you have chosen to remove avast, it really is one of the better ones and support is good, even for those using the free home version.

People are trying to help you, let them try, so you may benefit from avast.

If at first you don't succeed, try something else. If you give in so easily you are going to go through life very-frustrated, in which case your forum name will have been well chosen.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2004, 05:52:45 PM »
Don't give up so easily. Let us help you to solve this little problem so you can enjoy one of the best av's in the world.

very-frustrated

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2004, 08:01:00 PM »
Thankyou to everyone who responded to my problem.  I got this back from the support team:

"The number is valid. Use copy & paste method to enter it into avast!
and keep on mind that this number can´t be used on any server
operating system. Also you have to be logged to Windows with
administrators rights and the date/year indicated on your computer
must be correct."

Im using Windows ME.  Administrators rights?, server opertaing system?  What on Earth is that, never heard of it before.  And my system clock is correct.  As you can tell im not much of a computer expert. lol  Avast also screwed up all my server setting in email and I couldnt send any email .

I've re-installed AVG antivirus for now.  Might give avast another try some other time.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2004, 09:53:23 PM »
Im using Windows ME.  Administrators rights?, server opertaing system?  What on Earth is that, never heard of it before.

Well the support alert you to common problems at other operational systems...

And my system clock is correct.

You mean, day, month and year (not only the hour and minutes)?
This is a virus behavior and you won't be able to register avast if your system is with a 'future' date.

Avast also screwed up all my server setting in email and I couldnt send any email .

No, avast did what it's supposed to do. Change your email settings to scan it.
avast will change the servers to 127.0.0.1 as you could see at your email account settings. It's not a 'screwed up' action. It's the normal behavior.

I've re-installed AVG antivirus for now.  Might give avast another try some other time.

Well, we will be always here to help you. As you can imagine, you will lost the great avast features compared to AVG: incredible fast updates, very best rate of detection, skins, etc.  8)

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2004, 01:28:16 AM »
quote by very-frustrated:
Avast also screwed up all my server setting in email and I couldnt send any email .

avast! didn't screw up anything. Everything that is changed inside your e-mail account settings is like it should be. avast! MUST change some settings in order to protect your account, and nothing is wrong with that.

You couldn't send e-mail just because you didn't set those settings properly. You need to spend some time on solving those problems, and not give up as soon as little (I will call it minor) problem comes up. There were hundreds avast! users that found setting those settings too difficult... so what ? There is always someone in avast! fourms who will help... And best of all, we helped a lot of people. Giving up on first problem that comes up and going back to AVG... I don't know... well, good luck - that's all we can wish you...

Btw, very-frustrated is not quite a nick name... it tells us that you in the first place didn't ask for help. You created your account with intention to tell us that you are unhappy... Let's say, someone, or everyone helped you, you solved all those problems and you suddenly became great avast! user - what would you do with that nick name ? Leave it like that ? It would look kinda weird... I suppose in AVG forums, your nick name will be VERY-HAPPY-AVG-USER... sorry I forgot, they don't have forums and they don't have forum support...  ;)

When i enter my number to register the product it says invalid.  Ive copied and pasted it into the box so there are no typos, and re-registered 3 times but still nothing.

You shouldn't COPY/PASTE that number, 'cause sometimes you'll copy one space character at the end of the licence number. Just look carefully when you mark something with your mouse pointer, you'll see that sometimes (actually, very often) space character at the end of the line is copied as well. If you enter whole number + one space character at the end, it's not your licence key any more. It's completely different from original number you've got. So, you better type character by charcter, one at a time and it will work, I'm 100% sure. There is no chance not to work, no one used that number before.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2004, 02:04:01 AM by Craftec »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2004, 03:18:38 AM »
You shouldn't COPY/PASTE that number, 'cause sometimes you'll copy one space character at the end of the licence number. Just look carefully when you mark something with your mouse pointer, you'll see that sometimes (actually, very often) space character at the end of the line is copied as well. If you enter whole number + one space character at the end, it's not your licence key any more. It's completely different from original number you've got. So, you better type character by charcter, one at a time and it will work, I'm 100% sure. There is no chance not to work, no one used that number before.

I did this mistake sometimes in the past.
Listen to Sasha, do not copy the last space character  ;)

very-frustrated

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2004, 09:20:13 PM »
I Got it to Work, YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2004, 10:53:06 PM »

I suggest you 'kill' your user name and start another: very-safisfied  ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2004, 11:20:51 PM »

Now you can enjoy the benefits and protection of avast and you know wher to come if you need help, rather than be very-frustrated  ;D

It is possible to change your Screen Name, your username remains the same but not visible. Click on the Profile button (top of every page) and change it, if you want to that is.

Name:
This is the displayed name that people will see.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2004, 11:21:35 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

herregud

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2004, 03:51:42 AM »
I had a similar problem. avast denied to update and said something about "expired or invalid key". I tried using another key; same problem. Then I noticed the date on my Windows system was set to year 2105.  ( :o ::) ??? ) I changed it back to 2004 and now everything is ok.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 24, 2004, 03:57:24 AM by herregud »