Author Topic: Is Avast! 6.0 running on my system???  (Read 3009 times)

svitreum

Is Avast! 6.0 running on my system???
« on: March 29, 2011, 07:25:10 PM »
I have recently downloaded and installed Avast! free 6.0 on my system...running XP SP3. I installed the program while logged on as Administrator. The Avast! icons and shortcuts on the desktop are visible and functional when logged on as Admin., but when my family logs on with the limited account, the Avast! icon in the lower right corner of the desktop is not present, the shortcuts to the interface do not function, and I am unable to access Windows Security Center to verify settings. Is there a way to verify that the AV is running while logged on with the limited account? Or did I install Avast! incorrectly?  ::)

Offline Ashish Singh

• Poster
  • Proud to be an Indian
    • Quick Heal
Re: Is Avast! 6.0 running on my system???
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 07:44:28 PM »
Please mention ur firewall name, other AV before avast and any other security products if there
Windows 7 Ultimate(32 bit), avast! free (always latest released or beta), Intel Core2Duo, 2GB RAM, Outpost Firewall Pro 7.5,IE 9,TuneUp Utilities 2011,Diskeeper 2011

http://www.incredibleindia.org 

Caution! Online world is full of man made Aliens

zerospam

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 08:02:35 PM »
It would be something of a bug if Avast permitted software running in a non-administrator account to examine its settings, since that would permit untrusted software and/or untrusted users to gain potentially-exploitable information about Avast. It seems reasonable, however, to permit software running in a non-administrator account to discover that Avast is installed and running.

Hermite15

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 08:18:30 PM »
I have recently downloaded and installed Avast! free 6.0 on my system...running XP SP3. I installed the program while logged on as Administrator. The Avast! icons and shortcuts on the desktop are visible and functional when logged on as Admin., but when my family logs on with the limited account, the Avast! icon in the lower right corner of the desktop is not present, the shortcuts to the interface do not function, and I am unable to access Windows Security Center to verify settings. Is there a way to verify that the AV is running while logged on with the limited account? Or did I install Avast! incorrectly?  ::)

check if Avastsvc and AvastUI are present in task manager. Check for all users (enter your admin password if prompted).

svitreum

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 10:02:37 PM »
I am able to verify Windows firewall settings while logged on as Admin., previous antivirus was an earlier version of Avast!. While logged on as admin, Avastsvc and AvastUI both show as running processes. When logged on as limited user,however, only Avastsvc appears in process list. When I attempt to access Windows Security Center or Firewall settings from control panel while logged on as limited user, I see an error message about "C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe" "application not found". I just removed the "XP Anti-Spyware" malware prior to loading the new Avast!....do I need to correct a registry entry, perhaps?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 10:08:50 PM by svitreum »

svitreum

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 08:18:12 AM »
Thank you to those who read my postings and gave my dilemma some thought. I've disabled Avast! and run an MBAM full scan...malware was still present. Have quarantined and deleted the offending entries and my system is functioning normally now. Avast! is reenabled and all of the reported symptoms have ceased.  ;D

svitreum