Author Topic: avast! keeps scanning everytime I open a folder with many files  (Read 7010 times)

Offline Ashish Singh

• Poster
  • Proud to be an Indian
    • Quick Heal
Well I know this won't help but again I will be grateful if something happens.
Whenever I open a folder with a large number of media files avast scans all files as I already set it. But I think it should store these files as persistent cache. But whenever I again open that folder avast eats up my Processor again(previous scan also takes)  :-X
       At last disappointed by avast I went back to my favorite Antivirus Quick Heal Antivirus 2011 and installed its trial version to see the difference. I was surprised to see that It scans all files in that files within 2 seconds and without using processor beyond 5%. Really amassed by this. Quick Heal doesnot have any persistent cache kind of thing but then also it scanned so fast.
       Can't avast perform like this???? Plz don't tell me the achievement of avast I know that.....
I really want avast to be the best plz do something regarding this.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 09:04:42 PM by Ashish Singh »
Windows 7 Ultimate(32 bit), avast! free (always latest released or beta), Intel Core2Duo, 2GB RAM, Outpost Firewall Pro 7.5,IE 9,TuneUp Utilities 2011,Diskeeper 2011

http://www.incredibleindia.org 

Caution! Online world is full of man made Aliens

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: avast! keeps scanning everytime I open a folder with many files
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 09:05:56 PM »
No it won't as the only files that are placed in the persistent cache are those which can be considered secure.

Use transient caching - if transient caching is used, a file that has been scanned, and in which no infection was detected, will not be scanned again the next time it is accessed. However, this is only valid until the next virus definitions update, as the file may contain an infection that was not previously detected but which may be detected based on the new virus definitions. Also, information that the file is clean will only be stored in the computer's operating (temporary) memory. This means that when the system is restarted the information will be lost, therefore the file will also be scanned again the next time it is accessed after a system restart. This box is checked by default; if you want files to be scanned every time they are accessed. this box should be unchecked.

Use persistent caching - if persistent caching is used, the information about the scanned file is stored in the permanent memory. This means it is not lost after a system restart and it is also not affected by virus definition updates. Consequently, persistent caching is suitable only for files which are guaranteed not to contain any virus infection e.g. operating system files, files signed by trusted publishers, or other files covered by the avast! whitelist. This box is checked by default; if you want all files to be scanned regardless of their trust status, this box should be unchecked.

It is hard to give a simpler explanation as a) as an avast user I'm not privilege to the underlying methods/rules employed to ensure that those considered safe for selection and b) ensuring they remain unchanged or would be rescanned. Basically a file that is digitally signed if changed that digital signature will no longer be valid and would mean it would have to be scanned. Before that modification occurred the real-time shields should also scan it.

Files at risk or presenting an immediate risk if infected are scanned on creation, modification, being opened (depending on scanner settings and risk) or being Run. So a new file regardless would first be scanned as it isn't in the persistent or transient cache. Subsequent to that scan it may be added to the persistent cache (if trusted publisher, signed, etc.) or if not probably the transient cache.

So essentially it takes a few scans, etc. before the cache would be fully populated and at which point those in the persistent cache won't be continually scanned until their status changes.

####
So now you know they can't be added to the persistent cache, it is up to you to decide a why you chose a higher level of security and if the hit on performance (opening folders) is worth that added security.

So what changes have you made to the file system shield ?

Personally I would trust avast in the default settings as being a good balance between performance and protection, files at risk are always going to be scanned unless they are trusted files.

~~~~
You really can't compare the two AVs as you have no idea what is actually being scanned.

No one is twisting your arm to use avast.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 09:07:43 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Ashish Singh

• Poster
  • Proud to be an Indian
    • Quick Heal
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 05:13:34 AM »
Well I have both ticked. And its media files in that folder. avast also uses extensive processor whenever I open Control Panel-->Program and Features some times it hangs the system. Well I think thats something called system files, isn't it? When avast disabled it opens so quickly... ???
         I just want avast to be the best...
Windows 7 Ultimate(32 bit), avast! free (always latest released or beta), Intel Core2Duo, 2GB RAM, Outpost Firewall Pro 7.5,IE 9,TuneUp Utilities 2011,Diskeeper 2011

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 05:22:51 AM »
Ticking both won't make any difference to an item being selected for the relevant cache, none of your media files will be placed in the persistent cache, they can only go into the transient cache.

So I suggest that you read that explanation again as being transient after a system restart or a Virus Definitions updates, these would be scanned again because new signatures have been added.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Ashish Singh

• Poster
  • Proud to be an Indian
    • Quick Heal
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 05:38:49 AM »
Then avast should scan it faster... My thinking is if others can do I can also do..
If quick heal can scan fast and uses less memory then avast can also... 8)

Sparxx

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 07:00:46 AM »
Then avast should scan it faster... My thinking is if others can do I can also do..
If quick heal can scan fast and uses less memory then avast can also... 8)

Why are you so sure that quick heal scans all those files ?

Offline Ashish Singh

• Poster
  • Proud to be an Indian
    • Quick Heal
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 07:18:59 AM »
becoz I have used it for 4 years and it even scan ur files when u defragment ur drive and thats also without slowing down ur PC. for instance put a test virus somewhere in some drive then defragment that drive avast will not be able to scan that file but as soon as the defragmenter accesses that file quick heal will pop up showing that virus found. And it eats no memory. I have myself tested it. Also I just installed Quick Heal yesterday and guess what I got? see screenshot earlier i had avast and i had done boot scans 2 times.

Offline Ashish Singh

• Poster
  • Proud to be an Indian
    • Quick Heal
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 07:30:09 AM »
I am not praising other AV but I just want to be too light so that we should hardly notice it but its jumping on my system so hard.

I want avast better than the best

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 03:53:14 PM »
Personally you are the victim of your own choice of settings, I haven't got this problem at all with the default settings and essentially scanning more is pointless. As I said the default settings are fine as they are going to scan files before they are created, modified, run or executed if they are either a target of malware (most media files aren't, some are) or present an immediate risk, e.g. they are executable.

You can make your mind up what to do use your existing settings and take the performance hit, set them back to the default settings or go back to your beloved quick heal, but I'm done wasting any more time on this.

Offline Ashish Singh

• Poster
  • Proud to be an Indian
    • Quick Heal
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 07:15:00 PM »
i didn't ask for your time ;D ;D ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 07:30:11 PM »
I really do hope you will be happy with Quick heal as you have done nothing but whinge about avast. If you are that unhappy just move and be done with it.

Sparxx

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 09:39:10 PM »
I am not praising other AV but I just want to be too light so that we should hardly notice it but its jumping on my system so hard.

I want avast better than the best

And who said that quick heal is the best ? Or any other antivirus is the best ? It's a personal choice of each user, so make your choice and stop spamming.

doktornotor

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 09:47:47 PM »
Personally you are the victim of your own choice of settings

Gargamel360

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 04:33:27 AM »
deleted
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 07:02:17 AM by Gargamel360 »

Offline Ashish Singh

• Poster
  • Proud to be an Indian
    • Quick Heal
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 05:19:10 AM »
World can change in couple of seconds and you are talking about days  ;D  :D............
Well I added a link becoz no where it was written what link to add....