Author Topic: Avast Web Shield blocking internet access - Win 7 x64 SP 1  (Read 57030 times)

pukunui

Re: Avast Web Shield blocking internet access - Win 7 x64 SP 1
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 01:08:34 AM »
Seems to be working OK today. But Windows Update wants to download IE 9. We'll see how things go after that. (Before someone says, "IE? Well there's your problem!", whenever I *do* have this Web Shield problem, it blocks the internet in Safari as well.)

EDIT: OK, so I can still access the internet after updating to IE 9. But all day so far I've been getting an error message from Avast whenever it tries to update its files. I was getting one last night when I was using my Win XP laptop as well.

Seems like I can either have internet access or updated data files but not both. LOL.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 04:33:47 AM by pukunui »

pukunui

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2011, 12:48:58 AM »
OK scratch that. Today the Web Shield is blocking my internet access and Avast can't connect to the file update server.

Anyone got any suggestions for the next best free antivirus besides Avast? I tried Comodo's free antivirus, but it kept crashing whenever I tried to do a scan.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2011, 12:56:01 AM »
pukunui... you had problems with avast and CAV...
Seems remains of other antivirus/firewall are blocking the correct installation and working of the antivirus.
The best things in life are free.

pukunui

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2011, 01:05:18 AM »
The only other antivirus software that was on this system was McAfee, and running the uninstaller was one of the first suggestions in this thread. I thought it had solved the problem initially, but now it seems to be coming and going every other day.  :(

doktornotor

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2011, 01:06:29 AM »
I would also suggest contacting your ISP and asking about the quality of service.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2011, 01:10:56 AM »
pukunui, sorry if I insist, maybe running the uninstaller again and double check for remains.
Sometimes, avast must be uninstalled first to the proper running of McAfee uninstaller.
I suggest, after that, an installation from scratch.

pukunui

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2011, 01:16:35 AM »
@doktornotor: My ISP service hasn't been an issue before.

@Tech: That's how I did it. I uninstalled avast, ran the McAfee uninstaller, then reinstalled Avast. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Avast at least once since then as well. Doesn't seem to help. Every "fix" so far has only been temporary. The problem keeps coming back every other day or so. Yesterday it went away on its own - when I started up the computer, I could access the internet just fine. Today, though, it had come back - when I started up the computer, I had to first disable the Web Shield before I could access the internet.

EDIT: Also, for the record, I already had Win 7 SP1 installed on this machine prior to downloading and installing Avast. So my case isn't like some of the others' where Avast 6 was working fine until they installed SP1.

doktornotor

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2011, 01:20:38 AM »
Well, ISP has not been an issue but it happens just every other day or so, also you say your machine is perfectly sane but it happens  just every other day or so and when you install a different antivirus it crashes all the time. I kinda do not buy that the OS is in sane state.

pukunui

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2011, 01:32:16 AM »
I don't think the ISP has anything to do with it. I'm not having any trouble downloading my e-mail in Outlook, nor am I having any trouble accessing webpages on my laptop (Win XP SP3). The only problem I'm having on both machines is updating the virus definition files. Avast seems to be having trouble connecting to the server on both machines.

The main problem I'm having on my Win 7 desktop is that Avast's Web Shield is intermittently blocking access to webpages. The only permanent fix I've been able to find so far is to simply turn off Avast's Web Shield. But that's obviously not a very good solution. Also, for the record, I've found that turning the Web Shield off and then back on again doesn't seem to help, like it has for other posters on this site. When this problem exhibits itself, it happens whenever the Web Shield is active, no matter how many times I've turned it off and back on again.

Like I said before, this is a Dell machine. It came with Windows 7 preinstalled on it. The computer has worked like a dream up till now. I've never had any problems. It's the most stable, crash-free computer I've ever had, and that's saying quite a lot. So I'm sorry but I am extremely hesitant to declare my computer "insane" just because two programs I downloaded for free off the internet appear to have some compatibility issues. ::)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 01:49:54 AM by pukunui »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2011, 02:43:13 AM »
I don't think the ISP has anything to do with it. I'm not having any trouble downloading my e-mail in Outlook, nor am I having any trouble accessing webpages on my laptop (Win XP SP3). The only problem I'm having on both machines is updating the virus definition files. Avast seems to be having trouble connecting to the server on both machines.
Set "no proxy" into avast update settings to test.

The main problem I'm having on my Win 7 desktop is that Avast's Web Shield is intermittently blocking access to webpages. The only permanent fix I've been able to find so far is to simply turn off Avast's Web Shield. But that's obviously not a very good solution. Also, for the record, I've found that turning the Web Shield off and then back on again doesn't seem to help, like it has for other posters on this site. When this problem exhibits itself, it happens whenever the Web Shield is active, no matter how many times I've turned it off and back on again.
Did you change the default WebShield settings?

pukunui

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2011, 02:47:55 AM »
1) OK.

2) I tried toggling some of them once or twice, but it never seemed to make any difference, so I've just left them all on the default.

Oh, I have tried ticking the "load avast only after other system services" option under Troubleshooting, which was a solution I saw in another thread, but I haven't tested it to see if that helps or not yet.

zekeblue

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2011, 03:02:09 AM »
Oh, I have tried ticking the "load avast only after other system services" option under Troubleshooting, which was a solution I saw in another thread, but I haven't tested it to see if that helps or not yet.

It doesn't look like this would be a solution since your browser connection fails without rebooting even after it has been working.  Worth a try though.

pukunui

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2011, 03:10:24 AM »
It doesn't look like this would be a solution since your browser connection fails without rebooting even after it has been working.  Worth a try though.
Yeah, I'm not convinced it'll make a difference, but as you say, it's worth a try. At this point, just about anything is worth a try. I want to be loyal to Avast. I've been using it on my laptop for several years now (although I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't have updated to v6 on my laptop because it seems like it's not working perfectly on that machine either, since it can't seem to connect to the virus definition file update server).

RHarris

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2011, 04:46:54 AM »
Have you actually bothered trying what has been suggested multiple times?

1) Uninstall Avast.
2) Re-run the McAfee removal tool.
3) Re-install Avast.

I would then suggest updating the definitions straight away after installing and running a full scan.
For good measure, run a scan using a separate Malware removal program too - personally I prefer MalwareBytes.

If none of the above makes any difference, apparently doing this helped some users too.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 04:56:04 AM by RHarris »

pukunui

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2011, 05:17:33 AM »
Have you actually bothered trying what has been suggested multiple times?
Have you actually bothered reading the entire thread?  ::)

In response to your comments:
1) Yes, I have actually bothered to do that.
2) Yes, when it lets me update the definitions. One of the problems is that it can't always connect to the update server.
3) Yes, we've just been talking about how I tried the solution in that other thread. I don't know if it's solved my problem yet or not.

EDIT: OK, so after a restart (with the "load avast after other programs" option ticked), I am able to access the internet with the Web Shield running, but I'm back to not being able to connect to the definitions update server. I'll let you know what happens when I start up the computer tomorrow morning (it'll probably go back to blocking the internet again).
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 07:14:02 AM by pukunui »