Author Topic: Avast Web Shield blocking internet access - Win 7 x64 SP 1  (Read 57035 times)

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
Re: Avast Web Shield blocking internet access - Win 7 x64 SP 1
« Reply #75 on: April 09, 2011, 08:04:10 AM »
Nope. It's back today. Except that now it seems like I can do the disable/enable trick to get internet access while the Web Shield is running. Progress? Or just a fluke?

It looks to me like it's a Comodo / Avast problem somehow.

Would you mind running your system without Comodo FW and just the Win7 FW up for a couple of days to find out?

That would mean uninstall Comodo Fw, run something like CCleaner, make a repair install of Avast (just to be sure...) and reboot. Test a few days and see if it resolves the problem. If it does, maybe some devs would like to have more info about the software running on your machine, your hardware etc. Could be of some help, maybe.

Sorry, but more than that I don't have to offer...
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

pukunui

« Reply #76 on: April 09, 2011, 08:47:02 AM »
Yes, I think that's what I'm going to try next.

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #77 on: April 09, 2011, 09:13:51 AM »
Yes, I think that's what I'm going to try next.

Okay.

And thanks for hanging in here...  8)
Won't be around much until monday, but I'm sure some others are watching this, so keep on with updates if you have any.
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

pukunui

« Reply #78 on: April 09, 2011, 09:34:03 AM »
Will do.

Although, to be honest, now that I can get web access back by disabling/reenabling the Web Shield, I think I could probably live with that. It's not that big a hassle, especially since it still seems to be intermittent.

But I will try uninstalling Comodo to see if that makes a difference.

MAG

« Reply #79 on: April 09, 2011, 10:05:14 AM »
My recollection from when I did it was that I uninstalled avast at the same time, ie,

uninstall avast av
reboot
uninstall comodo fw
reboot
run ccleaner until nothing found (about three passes through registry)
install avast
reboot
(and check windows 7 fw is working).

Good luck.

pukunui

« Reply #80 on: April 09, 2011, 10:09:07 AM »
Good luck.
Thanks. I've got a busy Sunday tomorrow, so I probably won't get to it till sometime this week. I'll check back in afterwards though.

pukunui

« Reply #81 on: May 16, 2011, 11:22:26 PM »
Just popping back in to say that the problem appears to have resolved itself. I haven't had to toggle the Web Shield in at least two weeks. Comodo Firewall did update itself around that time, so that may have had something to do with it, but I'm not entirely sure.

MAG

« Reply #82 on: May 17, 2011, 09:39:00 PM »
Just popping back in to say that the problem appears to have resolved itself. I haven't had to toggle the Web Shield in at least two weeks. Comodo Firewall did update itself around that time, so that may have had something to do with it, but I'm not entirely sure.

Pleased to hear it. :)

Wilba

« Reply #83 on: January 05, 2012, 08:41:57 AM »
G'day Jonathan. For me (Win 7 64-bit, avast! free 6.0.1367), it's absolutely a Windows 7 SP1 issue. I installed Windows on a new hard-drive, installed avast!, everything was fine, worked through the Windows updates... same problem as you. I thought something weird must have happened, so I started again. Problem came back once SP1 was installed. Problem went away when I used System Restore to rollback SP1. Problem came back again when I undid the System Restore changes...

I've found two ways to get around it - stop the Web Shield altogether, or add the browser .exe as an excluded process (Expert Settings | Exclusions).

I haven't been able to find a mention anywhere else that it's SP1 that messes with avast! Maybe you could test it by rolling back SP1?

pukunui

« Reply #84 on: January 05, 2012, 08:50:00 AM »
Hi Wilba. Sorry to hear you're having troubles yourself. If you look a few posts up from yours, you'll see that my problem went away on its own. Haven't had any trouble with the Avast Web Shield for the past seven months or so.

Wilba

« Reply #85 on: January 06, 2012, 08:41:46 AM »
Thanks. Good to know. I've since found out that the real culprit is PC Tools Firewall (see http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=72465.0), and there may be other older firewalls that suffer in the same way from the changes brought on by SP1. I uninstalled PC Tools and I'm running the avast! Internet Security firewall at the moment with no problems. See ya.

cyopst

« Reply #86 on: May 28, 2012, 10:45:46 PM »
Memorial Day Monday 28 May 2012.  I have Windows XP in my fairly new eMachine.  And the same sequecnes are happening to my desktop, too.  I think that it is a problem that the Avast Company itself can only and must solves themselves for the rest of us.  Otherwise, it is crazy.    Best wishes.