Author Topic: Avast Error 10044 and unable to connect to internet.  (Read 25927 times)

Flyboy42

Avast Error 10044 and unable to connect to internet.
« on: March 30, 2011, 02:20:37 AM »
My rig: Windows 7 Proffessional 64 bit, everything with latest updates.

I will start by saying that I do not know if this is an internet problem, avast! problem, a virus, or just a system problem. Hopefully I can get some tech support help here.

So randomly, my internet stops working. I am still connected, however I have absolutely no internet capability. Over the network signal on the tray, I have either the yellow triangle ! symbol overtop or no symbol at all (indicating a healthy connection). Either way, I can't connect to anything whatsoever. I can't even access my router through 192.168.0.1.

I also get an error through avast on startup:

avast! will not be able to protect mail/news (error 10044)

Please check that the avast! service (AvastSvc.exe) is not blocked by your personal firewall.

I also cannot activate the avast web shield. No matter what I do, I cannot activate it, no matter how many times I try. It tells me to activate the Avast! service, but I don't know how to do that, and either way I still see the AvastSvc.exe process active in task manager (which I assume is the Avast! service).

I am using Comodo Firewall and defense+ security. I have tried a variety of solutions, from disabling any combination of the two, to rebooting/resetting my router, to even system restoring, and nothing seems to work. I confirm that only my computer has this problem, as the other computer, my xbox, and the iPad (which I am using to type this) works just fine at the very moment. I have also done a full system scan and found no threats.

Is there any advice you can give?

Dieselman

Re: Avast Error 10044 and unable to connect to internet.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 02:27:11 AM »
Sounds to me like Avast is being blocked by Comodo. Keep in mind that Comodo is not only a firewall its a complete HIPS. Seems like Comodo and Avast dont play nice together. Lets try this. Completely uninstall Comodo and reboot. You will need to delete all the left overs from Comodo also. I believe they have a clean up tool in there forums. Reboot and see what happens. You are also on Windows 7 64 bit and you dont need a 3rd party firewall. Avast has a behavior blocker and Comodo has a HIPS. Both of them can conflict.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=294741
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 02:29:56 AM by Dieselman »

bullets

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 02:30:03 AM »
Sounds like a network problem on your computer, and not Avast.

Try opening command prompt and running
Code: [Select]
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
and see if that fixes anything

Flyboy42

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 02:38:41 AM »
Sounds to me like Avast is being blocked by Comodo. Keep in mind that Comodo is not only a firewall its a complete HIPS. Seems like Comodo and Avast dont play nice together. Lets try this. Completely uninstall Comodo and reboot. You will need to delete all the left overs from Comodo also. I believe they have a clean up tool in there forums. Reboot and see what happens. You are also on Windows 7 64 bit and you dont need a 3rd party firewall. Avast has a behavior blocker and Comodo has a HIPS. Both of them can conflict.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=294741

If that's true, then how come Comodo is only blocking right now? Keep in mind I've disabled COMODO entirely at some points and that didn't solve this. (Did not uninstall, though)

and what does having a 64-bit system have to do with not needing a third-party firewall?

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
I get this error:

An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection: unable to contact your DHCP server. Request timed out.

I'll uininstall comodo, and tell you my results.

Also, remember that the web shield doesn't work either, I don't even know what could be causing that.

Flyboy42

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 02:47:11 AM »
I've tried both solutions mentioned, and nothing has changed.

Dieselman

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 02:48:16 AM »
Windows 7 Firewall has made leaps and bounds over XP and Vista firewall. With Windows 7 there is no need to use a a 3rd party firewall. Disabling Comodo does not do anything since the drivers are still there. Disable it and you will see its actually still running.

Dieselman

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 02:49:20 AM »
You FULLY uninstall Comodo? That was too quick. So now you have Windows 7 firewall enabled correct? Now try uninstall Avast. Here is a link of what Comodo leaves behind.

http://forums.comodo.com/help-for-v3/full-removal-of-comodo-firewall-pro-3-with-safesurf-toolbar-if-regular-uninstall-method-fails-t17220.0.html
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 02:51:08 AM by Dieselman »

Flyboy42

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 02:59:51 AM »
You FULLY uninstall Comodo? That was too quick. So now you have Windows 7 firewall enabled correct? Now try uninstall Avast. Here is a link of what Comodo leaves behind.

http://forums.comodo.com/help-for-v3/full-removal-of-comodo-firewall-pro-3-with-safesurf-toolbar-if-regular-uninstall-method-fails-t17220.0.html

WAs it too quick? Is it supposed to be a long and painful process or something?

I am using windows 7 firewall, now.

Is what Comodo leaves behind so harmful? I don't remember ever installing a safe surftoolbar.

I'll post back after I've uninstalled avast and rebooted.

derry

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 03:00:59 AM »
Rofl.

Flyboy42

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 03:02:38 AM »
Well I guess I've uninstalled Avast!, as well, and I still can't connect to the internet in any way.

Dieselman

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 03:03:22 AM »
Revo Uninstaller in Advanced Mode is the best method. You need to remove ANY and all files and folders. Also remove any registry entries. Most good companies have an uninstaller.

derry

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 03:03:33 AM »
 his dns cannot connect.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 03:08:41 AM by derry »

Dieselman

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 03:06:33 AM »
Well this is where you start. So its not Avast and its not Comodo. Lets try flushing your dns. Go to CMD and run it under Admin. Then copy and paste this.

ipconfig /flushdns

Unplug your router. Unplug your modem. Shutdown your pc. Wait 5 minutes and reboot your modem. Then reboot your router then finally your pc.

BTW derry...................Unless you have some advice to add stay out.

derry

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 03:10:23 AM »
Sorry i was just implying that his DNS could not connect sorry if i intervened.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 03:15:04 AM by derry »

ArtemisF0wl

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 03:10:23 AM »

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

lmao!!!! 2nd post in this thread ::)