Author Topic: Avast Error 10044 and unable to connect to internet.  (Read 26034 times)

Dieselman

Re: Avast Error 10044 and unable to connect to internet.
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2011, 03:11:47 AM »
Sounds like a network problem on your computer, and not Avast.

Try opening command prompt and running
Code: [Select]
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
and see if that fixes anything

lmao!!!! 2nd post in this thread ::)

he tried that already with errors. Please read.

Dieselman

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2011, 03:12:58 AM »
Are you connected via wireless or ethernet? Are you sure that all your modem and router lights are on? Are you sure its not your ISP?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 03:14:32 AM by Dieselman »

derry

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2011, 03:15:38 AM »
Hope your problem is solved sorry i could not be of more help. ;D
best wishes
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 03:18:42 AM by derry »

Flyboy42

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2011, 03:19:44 AM »
Are you connected via wireless or ethernet? Are you sure that all your modem and router lights are on? Are you sure its not your ISP?

Well realize, for what it's worth, that my modem and router are the same device, in a gateway. Probably means nothing, but may as well clear that detail.

I'm connected via ethernet, with all other devices except my xbox connected wirelessly. All of them can connect successfuly, pretty much ruling out that it's the ISP. All the necessary lights on the gateway are on.

After trying what you said, I am still unable to connect.

Dieselman

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2011, 03:23:19 AM »
Ok lets check this. Open up the Control Panel and click on internet options. Once there click on connections/LAN settings. Be sure that "automatically detect settings" is checked off and not proxy.

So you cannot connect to the internet using with IE or FF?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 03:27:17 AM by Dieselman »

Flyboy42

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2011, 03:26:32 AM »
Ok lets check this. Open up the Control Panel and click on internet options. Once there click on connections/LAN settings. Be sure that "automatically detect settings" is checked off and not proxy.

Yes, "automatically detect" is checked and proxy server is unchecked.

Dieselman

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2011, 03:27:41 AM »
Did you see my last edit?

Flyboy42

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2011, 03:29:20 AM »
Did you see my last edit?

Just saw it. No, I cannot connect with anything. Not with FF, MSN, my email, or any update programs. I don't have internet explorer (deleted it a long time ago), so I can't check that in particular.

Dieselman

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2011, 03:33:21 AM »
Of course you have IE. You cannot delete it. Its part of Windows unless you did a slim install. Lets check your host file.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972034

Flyboy42

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2011, 03:48:22 AM »
Of course you have IE. You cannot delete it. Its part of Windows unless you did a slim install. Lets check your host file.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972034

Nope...this hasn't worked.

Dieselman

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2011, 03:54:40 AM »
Maybe its possible your NIC is no good. Is this a laptop or desktop? Is your ethernet cable in good shape? So was your host file normal?

Flyboy42

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2011, 03:57:10 AM »
Maybe its possible your NIC is no good. Is this a laptop or desktop? Is your ethernet cable in good shape? So was your host file normal?

It's a desktop. It could be your idea of a hardware fault, but this motherboard is only about a year and a half old, and yes my ethernet cable is fine. IT's only 4 feet long, anyway.

The host file had a few entries in it, but nothing out the ordinary, just stuff for adobe updaters and the like. I've had corrupted host files before, so I know what to look for.

However, it might be worth noting that in the microsoft page you sent me, I had to use the regular root to access my hosts file, not the one suggested for 64-bit systems, as that one did not work.

Dieselman

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2011, 04:00:30 AM »
Doesn't matter if the mobo is only a year old. I have seen them bad only after a month. The one thing you can try is buying a usb wireless adapter and then seeing if you can connect. If so then your NIC is no good. Did you try running a ping/trace route?

How to run a ping, if your computer is Windows Vista or Windows7:

Click on the "Start Orb" and then type "Command Prompt" in the "Start Search" field.
    From the search results, click on the "Command Prompt" icon that's listed under "Programs."
    After the "Command Prompt" window is open, type: ping -n 500 [hostname] > ping.txt
        (without the brackets)
        Example: Example: ping -n 500 YourHostedDomainName.com > ping.txt
    Depending on the network speed, this command will run for several minutes. Once the diagnostic is complete, the results will be saved in a filed named ping.txt.

How to run a traceroute, if your computer is Windows Vista or Windows 7:

Click on the "Start Orb" and then type "Command Prompt" in the "Start Search" field.
    From the search results, click on the "Command Prompt" icon that's listed under "Programs."
    After the "Command Prompt" window is open, type: tracert [hostname]
        (without the brackets)
        Example: tracert YourHostedDomainName.com

Flyboy42

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2011, 04:02:34 AM »
Doesn't matter if the mobo is only a year old. I have seen them bad only after a month. The one thing you can try is buying a usb wireless adapter and then seeing if you can connect. If so then your NIC is no good. Did you try running a ping/trace route?

I agree.    I've had gigabye boards die in months, they're no good.

I have, actaully. I've done tracert to a few websites, and it worked fully.

Well I am upgrading my rig within the month, so I won't spend money on a usb wireless (I hate those personally, anyway).

Dieselman

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2011, 04:04:31 AM »
Wireless usb was just an idea. You can try running a scan with Dr.WebCurit. It does not need updating. A new version comes out about twice a week.

So you can ping out yahoo?

http://www.freedrweb.com/cureit/?lng=en