Author Topic: Anybody have auto sandbox auto sandbox?  (Read 4757 times)

dagrev

Anybody have auto sandbox auto sandbox?
« on: March 30, 2011, 10:54:28 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has had auto sandbox auto sandbox anything or ask to.  I don't run much questionable programs, but would love to know if it's actually working well.  I have run a few things that are not common and nothing is questioned.  Could be I'm not dangerous enough.  I even set it to high to see if it does anything got detected.

derry

Re: Anybody have auto sandbox auto sandbox?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 10:56:43 PM »
I have seen it in action i do my own personal tests. Yes avast auto sandbox does work so no need to worry. If something is suspicious it will be detected by sandbox. But if i were you i would not go purposely downloading malware to find out.

Hermite15

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 10:58:33 PM »
happens more and more rarely as Avast database integrates more and more programs that it knows it can trust. There's been reports from people complaining that such or such known program got auto-sandboxed with no reason, other than Avast didn't recognize them, now it does. This said, the auto-sandbox will and should remain effective when it's relevant, ie if it actually detects something suspicious. It works in conjunction with the heuristics engine.

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 11:01:47 PM »
If you want to just see it work you could try downloading OTL.

from here
http://www.geekstogo.com/2010/05/27/otl-by-oldtimer-a-modern-replacement-for-hijackthis/

scroll about halfway down the page.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 11:04:14 PM »
Mainly when you are installing or uninstalling something that isn't digitally signed or not such a well known application, etc. I haven't had a lot but it is certainly working, I have it set to Ask rather than Auto.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Jack 1000

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 11:27:29 PM »
I set the Sandbox to Auto,

I have very inexperienced people on this machine, and I think the "ask" prompt might confuse them.  As long as it's working, with the least user interaction, that's all I care about.

Where is this border that you are supposed to see when a suspicious file is detected?  I understand that it is hard to see?

Jack

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 11:39:58 PM »
happens more and more rarely as Avast database integrates more and more programs that it knows it can trust.
Sorry, no. There is NOT a whitelist at all.
The avast autosandboxing is based on rules (into virus definitions) and heuristics analysis. Not in recognized/trusted programs list at all.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 11:42:32 PM »
Where is this border that you are supposed to see when a suspicious file is detected?  I understand that it is hard to see?
When a program is running sandboxed, the red borders could be there if you set so in the settings.
The best things in life are free.

Hermite15

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 11:47:51 PM »
happens more and more rarely as Avast database integrates more and more programs that it knows it can trust.
Sorry, no. There is NOT a whitelist at all.
The avast autosandboxing is based on rules (into virus definitions) and heuristics analysis. Not in recognized/trusted programs list at all.

I never said there was one ::)... but something must have been done in the heuristics db (or else...) so that suddenly, following the next update after an issue with CCleaner has been reported on the forums, it doesn't happen anymore. In this context I used the word "trust" as I could have used "ignore", or whatever you wanna call it ;D
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 11:50:08 PM by Logos »

dagrev

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 03:50:51 AM »
But if i were you i would not go purposely downloading malware to find out.

No worries there.  I haven't and have no intention in downloading anything bad.

Glad others know it to be working.  I just wanted to check, as I've not seen it do anything.  Hopefully with safe surfing I won't!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 03:53:06 AM by dagrev »