Author Topic: WebRep and Firefox 4.0  (Read 23561 times)

Hiballer

WebRep and Firefox 4.0
« on: March 31, 2011, 03:42:13 AM »
I added the WebRep add-on for Firefox and, as long as I was using version 3.xxx it worked just fine.  When Firefox 4.0 came along, my home page (iGoogle) started messing up.  I could not move/edit/close/delete any of my gadgets on my home page.  When I disabled WebRep, they all started working again.  Someone needs to look into this and see what's up.

doubledoom

Re: WebRep and Firefox 4.0
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 01:45:54 PM »
Just to add that you are not alone.

With my firefox 4, the webrep addon does the same for me when it is enabled.  It blocks most of the igoogle gadgets from showing.

Dieselman

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 01:50:26 PM »
Its best to do a COMPLETE uninstall of Firefox 3.6 when going to Firefox 4.0. You can use Revo Uninstaller in Advanced mode. When uninstalling Firefox be sure to select the option to delete all settings. Just export your bookmarks first.

Hiballer

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 03:39:16 PM »
Sorry.  I'm not about to do that.  I have quite a few add-ons, settings, colors, and field changes that I do not want to lose.  Besides, this drastic action is deemed 'not necessary' by the Mozilla people.  It is simply that the Avast! add-on doesn't work in it's present incarnation.  I can wait until it is fixed.

Dieselman

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 03:42:11 PM »
Thats why there is MozBackup. BTW its not drastic. Its a way to ensure everything is working just fine. I just installed Avast on my girlfriends laptop last night. She never had Avast on there before. She was using NIS as well as I was. Uninstalled NIS. Have a fresh install of Firefox. Installed Avast 6.0.144 and WebRep works just fine.

http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 03:44:51 PM by Dieselman »

barkaye

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 03:58:05 PM »
Just noticed webrep wasn't there in firefox4 ... opened up avast went down to additional protection > webrep clicked the uninstall link beside the firefox icon then clicked the install link & back came webrep in firefox4.

I do wipe firefox from time to time, save settings etc with FEBE

Hiballer

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 04:13:47 PM »
I use MozBackup regularly.  That isn't the point.  For an add-on to pass the Firefox "checking to see if your add-ons are compatible" (which WebRep did) it should work properly without the user having to jump through flaming hoops.  It doesn't.  Therefore, I will simply wait until it DOES work.  It is currently in a 'disabled' state and FF will occasionally check to see if it is updated.  When it is, then I'll re-enable it.  Currently, the WebRep add-on will NOT work with FF4.0 and needs to be checked out with the developer (Avast!).  This is the main reason I posted here - not to find a 'work-around'.

I do appreciate that a full removal and reinstall will 'solve' the problem, but, once again, that's not the point.  Besides, I have already upgraded all my FF versions from 3.x to 4.0 and your solution would entail procedures that, if they didn't work properly, might just make a simple irritant turn into a real mess.

Hiballer

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 04:15:59 PM »
@Barkaye:  True.  WebRep does show up in FF4.  What happens is you will lose the functionality of all your home page widgets if (and only IF) you use iGoogle as your home page.

Dieselman

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 04:21:48 PM »
Been using Avast 6.0.1044 for the past two weeks and never an issue with WebRep. What are homepage widgets anyways. Never seen those before. Some sort of special add on? Maybe one of your many add ons is interfering with WebRep?

Hiballer

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 04:26:51 PM »
iGoogle is a customizable page which you can set as your home page.  The widgets are things such as RSS readers, Weather reporters, horoscopes, calendars and the like.  You can arrange them anywhere on your home page and they will update themselves as necessary.  When WebRep is enabled, none of the widgets can be moved around, edited, or deleted.  Their drop-downs simply do not work.  When WebRep is disabled, they work as they should.  It is a clear case of one add-on (WebRep) not working properly in this single instance (Firefox 4.0, iGoogle home page, and WebRep enabled).

Dieselman

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 04:28:43 PM »
Is iGoogle the only page with problems? Sounds to me like so. Set your homepage to something like Yahoo and see what happens.

Dieselman

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 04:32:31 PM »
My homepage is ATT.net/yahoo with no issues. I set it to CNN sometimes with no issues.

Hiballer

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 04:35:56 PM »
Okay.  I am sitting here at Yahoo as a page and WebRep is enabled.  When I click on Autos (for instance) I am taken to the Autos page.  Trying to click on Home again from that page I am always presented with the same page I'm on (Autos).  The only way I can go back to the Yahoo home page is to enter the URL in the address bar.

With WebRep disabled, I can navigate back to "Home" easily with one click.

It is the same way with every sub-page from the Yahoo home page.  Clearly, WebRep is causing this anomalous behavior and needs to be fixed.

Dieselman

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 04:38:03 PM »
No honestly its something with your FF. Firefox can become corrupt after time. Do a complete uninstall of FF and I bet its fixed. Or do this. Disable all of your other add ons except for WebRep and see what happens. Are you sure your flash player and other stuff is up to date? 

Hiballer

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2011, 04:45:22 PM »
I have already disabled ALL my add-ons (7) and re-enabled them one at a time.  WebRep is the only one that causes this problem.  I have a laptop coming into my shop this afternoon.  One of the things they want me to do is install Firefox.  They have been using IE and want to try something new.  This will be you "full install" of Firefox 4.0.  Let's see how this goes.  The person likes the way I have my home page set up and wishes to do the same.  This way, I will have a completely new install of FF and WebRep.  If it messes up (and I bet it doed) than I'll be back here.

I am sure this whole thing is being caused by a certain set of circumstances and will only work incorrectly under those circumstances.  The WebRep developers cannot check everything so I am citing my example of something they need to check.  Frankly, I'd just as soon get rid of WebRep anyway because of the hassle in getting it to work (under MY circumstances).