Author Topic: WebRep and Firefox 4.0  (Read 23563 times)

doktornotor

Re: WebRep and Firefox 4.0
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2011, 06:36:53 PM »
Well, I took the hassle to install Firefox (which I haven't used for almost 2 years), install WebRep to that and try with Yahoo and Google personalized pages. I cannot reproduce your problem at all, sorry. Your FF install appears to be messed up.

Dieselman

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2011, 08:26:13 PM »
Why don't you just create a clean profile in FF and test with that? (Not uninstall and wipe settings, just the profile, you can switch between them.)

I just tried that - no go.  New profile does same thing.  This is with just iGoogle as home page and WebRep as an add-on.  Nothing else.

You need to do a COMPLETE uninstall of Firefox. Just save your bookmarks. Everything else should go. You can always put them back in. No biggie. Even if you reinstall them with MozBackup it could bring those issues. Revo Uninstaller in Advanced mode is the best tool for this since Firefox leaves a lot behind. Even after using Revo you most likely will need to manually remove files and folders by going into your folders view and checking off "show hidden".

Hiballer

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2011, 09:36:28 PM »
I have just spent 15 minutes trying to get WebRep to work with a completely new install of FF4.0.  It will not work.  I keep getting the same symptoms as before.

This was done on a laptop that has never had Firefox on it - ever.  It appears that, for me anyway, Firefox and WebRep are just not compatible.  It doesn't get any 'cleaner' that that.

doktornotor

« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2011, 09:38:33 PM »
You must be special then.  ;D Or you are having a rather broken proxy in your way.

Dieselman

« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2011, 09:38:54 PM »
You seem to be the only one. Works just fine for the rest of us.

Hiballer

« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2011, 09:43:30 PM »
My proxy is just fine, thank you.  My connection (through DSL) has been up for quite some time now (around 7 years, or so).  WebRep is the ONLY add-on I've found so far that will not work with FF4.0 even though it is supposed to be compatible.  It worked just fine with 3.x versions but won't work with 4.0.  That does not indicate a problem with a proxy.  My computers all connect using a LAN through a router.  All computer's 'Internet Options' are set to not use a proxy.

doubledoom

« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2011, 10:42:48 PM »
He isnt the only one as I am suffering the same issue on my desktop (but not my laptop).  

As a recap

1 - webrep turned off and page displays fine.  webrep turned on and some gadgets do not show
2 - worked earlier in the week.  Not working now.
3 - working fine on chrome and IE.

ccleaner used.  I have a couple of things to try yet but really posting to say that hiballer is not the only one suffering the issue.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 10:54:42 PM by doubledoom »

doktornotor

« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2011, 10:44:51 PM »

Since there is not WebRep for Chrome, how is that relevant? Until someone produces a way to reproduce the issue on a sane system, I am afraid you are stuck with your esoteric problem.

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2011, 10:50:38 PM »
@Barkaye:  True.  WebRep does show up in FF4.  What happens is you will lose the functionality of all your home page widgets if (and only IF) you use iGoogle as your home page.

I can't confirm that.

I updated FF 3.6 to 4, I am using iGoogle as starting page, I have iGoogle widgets running: no problem with webrep. Nothing is gone, webrep works.
Avast Version 6.0.1044, Win 7 x64.

7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

doubledoom

« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2011, 10:55:47 PM »

Since there is not WebRep for Chrome, how is that relevant? Until someone produces a way to reproduce the issue on a sane system, I am afraid you are stuck with your esoteric problem.

I was acknowledging it was working on an unrelated browser.

Hiballer

« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2011, 10:59:46 PM »
I don't know where my last post went...

... Until someone produces a way to reproduce the issue on a sane system, ...

That was uncalled for.  I consider my systems: (2 Windows 7, 2 Windows Vista and 1 Windows XP Pro) sane systems.

If there is one thing I've learned in my 49 years of IT it is that one size does NOT fit all.  There will always be someone that cannot run or use something that "everyone" else can use.

I am not going to pursue this any further.  I've uninstalled it from FF4.0 and will simply not use it any more.  It's isn't as if it's a barn burner anyway.

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2011, 11:02:09 PM »
It's isn't as if it's a barn burner anyway.

+1
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2011, 11:10:26 PM »

This is kinda strange - so the behavior changed, even though there was no avast! update?
Could you think of anything that might have changed at that moment? (apart from the target page itself)

doubledoom

« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2011, 11:58:53 PM »

This is kinda strange - so the behavior changed, even though there was no avast! update?
Could you think of anything that might have changed at that moment? (apart from the target page itself)

Only think I can recall is installing the 1044 (as an update)

However, I have resolved the issue on my side.  I uninstalled avast, rebooted, ran ccleaner, installed avast 1044 and now its working fine.

jolo

« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2011, 05:28:31 AM »
In my opinion. I found "WebRep an annoyance and have removed from my Avast! Internet Security version 6.x.

For me, that is the best solution.

Jon