Author Topic: WebRep and Firefox 4.0  (Read 23569 times)

meepo88

Re: WebRep and Firefox 4.0
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2011, 08:11:38 AM »
I updated my browsers to IE9 and Firefox 4. WebRep was working fine till then and I noticed that a part of WebRep isnt working - the rating bars are there but the "type" indicator which indates the content of the site, it stopped working since the update..

I'm using AIS 6 - full release.  I find the webrep plugin very useful and hope it will be improved in the future. Anyway after updating the 2 browsers like I said "type" indicator is in gray, earlier it showed some icons for popular sites such as youtube but now it wont. Hope this will be fixed.

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2011, 04:36:54 PM »
@Hiballer - what other plugins do you use? There might be a conflict between a plugin and the WebRep.

I tried to reproduce it on Win7
1, installed FF 3.6.16, then installed avast! Free 6.0 (webrep works)
2, installed FF 4, webrep works
3, opened igoogle -> all my gadgets work

Quality is also a feature.

Hiballer

« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2011, 05:22:23 PM »
In posts #29 and #32 I stated that this was with just the browser and WebRep.  In one case, it was a completely fresh install of FF4.0 (with no prior installation of FF before) and the other, it was on my system with all add-ons disabled except WebRep.  In both cases, WebRep failed in the manner I've been describing.

I do appreciate the interest, but I have now uninstalled WebRep (at the Avast! control panel).  When it worked, it was nice to see how the site/page fared by 'votes', but when it stopped working it didn't really matter.  I was just curious as to why it stopped working (for me, apparently, and nobody else).

Offline DraKuL

« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2011, 05:31:58 PM »
I updated my browsers to IE9 and Firefox 4. WebRep was working fine till then and I noticed that a part of WebRep isnt working - the rating bars are there but the "type" indicator which indates the content of the site, it stopped working since the update..

I'm using AIS 6 - full release.  I find the webrep plugin very useful and hope it will be improved in the future. Anyway after updating the 2 browsers like I said "type" indicator is in gray, earlier it showed some icons for popular sites such as youtube but now it wont. Hope this will be fixed.

I have the same issue  :-\ 

@lukas.hasik - webrep works but the "type" of the site doesnt show.. tried with both these browsers - IE9 / FF4 - same issue.. Dont know if this is temporary or because of the update.. I'm talking about the site content/ "type" which is on the far left when you open webrep, it used to work before I updated the 2 browsers.
ASUS ROG Mobo - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X| RAM 32.00GB | 4TB HDD +1TB SSD | ATI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit |Avast One Individual | MBAM PRO - RealTime | SUPERAntiSpyware PRO |CC Cleaner | Chrome | Firefox |(The Latest Release of all the Software)

Offline Paul aka Sporty

« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2011, 01:18:38 AM »
WebRep add-on in Firefox messes with Firefox 3.6.16 and Igoogle's gadgets, One XP Pro and one WIN 7 laptop,I Disabled Webrep and all gadgets work again, Come on Avast fix this !!! ???
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Web+Search/thread?tid=35e1333264bb9e27&hl=en

doktornotor

« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2011, 01:23:41 AM »
WebRep add-on in Firefox messes with Firefox 3.6.16 and Igoogle's gadgets, One XP Pro and one WIN 7 laptop,I Disabled Webrep and all gadgets work again, Come on Avast fix this !!! ???
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Web+Search/thread?tid=35e1333264bb9e27&hl=en

Already discussed in another thread, with noone being able to reproduce it. Shrug, hard to fix non-reproducible stuff.

doubledoom

« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2011, 02:45:44 AM »

Already discussed in another thread, with noone being able to reproduce it. Shrug, hard to fix non-reproducible stuff.

Actually it was discussed earlier in this thread.  Paul is now the third person on this thread to suffer the problem.   I was the second but fixed it with an uninstall of avast, ccleaner and reinstall of avast.

You are right though that until you suffer the problem or have access to a machine that does, it is hard to diagnose and fix.

Werk

« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2011, 04:00:28 PM »
I have just had this issue with the iGoogle gadgets. So far, haven't done anything else than disable the plugin for Avast Webrep, and iGoogle is back to normal. Using XP and Firefox 4,0.

ArtemisF0wl

« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2011, 04:45:07 PM »
@Hiballer - what other plugins do you use? There might be a conflict between a plugin and the WebRep.

[opinion]

if no one gives the Avast team information that they ask for especially when its non-reproducible for them, fixes will certainly take longer. just sayin... if people want things fixed, they need to help out as much as possible

[/opinion]

« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 04:50:00 PM by ArtemisF0wl »

Werk

« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2011, 05:14:32 PM »

[opinion]

if no one gives the Avast team information that they ask for especially when its non-reproducible for them, fixes will certainly take longer. just sayin... if people want things fixed, they need to help out as much as possible

[/opinion]

I used the following addons when igoogle / webrep acted up;

AdBlock+
BetterPrivacy
Google Doc's Viewer
NoScript
Optimize Google
Status-4-Evar
StumbleUpon
TinEye
WoT
XMarks
Yahoo Mail Notificator
Java Quick Starter
Java Console
Microsoft net Framework Assistant
WebRep (disabled now)

Quite a bit, but only Webrep caused the gadgets on iGoogle to act up.

doktornotor

« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2011, 05:23:37 PM »
Optimize Google

Hmmm, well, maybe it not so optimized?  :P

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2011, 05:33:57 PM »
I like Optimize Google addon very much.
The best things in life are free.

doktornotor

« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2011, 05:35:51 PM »
I like Optimize Google addon very much.

That is wonderful but do not you think that similar addons should be disabled when troubleshooting issues with Google website allegedly caused by another addon?  ???

ArtemisF0wl

« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2011, 05:36:21 PM »
@ Werk     Excellent, thanks! Now if some others who experience the problem will do the same, maybe Avast can find the common factor, or at least assist in reproducing it  ;)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 05:43:13 PM by ArtemisF0wl »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2011, 05:39:30 PM »
That is wonderful but do not you think that similar addons should be disabled when troubleshooting issues with Google website allegedly caused by another addon?  ???
Yes, disable it for troubleshooting, no problem.
The best things in life are free.