Author Topic: XP Total Security hoax virus  (Read 3287 times)

Cam Gibb

XP Total Security hoax virus
« on: April 02, 2011, 01:54:41 AM »
I have friend that has got this. I'm fairly experienced at dealing with stuff like this but this is a toughy. It started with pop ups looking like windows xp security windows saying virus detected, need to download softaware to remove it. She kept denying but it continued to interfere more and more to the point of preventing internet access.

I searched net and found license number claimed to fool it that you paid for this fake scam. Which was supposed to stop it from interfering with net acces, allowing getting proper removal software.

The key fooled it, but, her net access is not working, she gets pop ups after clicking net access shortcuts, asking what she wants to use to open file. It's a deadend circle.

Many previously loading drivers for video card, sound, IMVU, system restore, all get same run around pop up.

Cam Gibb

Re: XP Total Security hoax virus
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 02:10:15 AM »
Will she, well me, when I can get over there, have to wipe hard drive to reinstall winxp and countless other software and drivers ?

Maybe best, I'll tell her, if needed, as it was getting a bit laggy, fresh system with Avast 6 and Maywarebytes may be a "Godsend", lol ? ;-)

Cam Gibb

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 02:49:37 AM »
I'm guessing the question is should anti virus and firewall no longer be trusted against malware, spyware, adware, etc ?

Does the public have to be told they can't rely on just Avast ?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 03:03:54 AM »
See this for detailed info on rogue/fake alerts like this - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-win-7-internet-security-2011.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 03:57:08 AM »
I'm guessing the question is should anti virus and firewall no longer be trusted against malware, spyware, adware, etc ?
Does the public have to be told they can't rely on just Avast ?
You can't rely on only one defense layer.
There is not a software that can't be sure 100% all the time.
The best things in life are free.