Author Topic: Gmail POP3/SMTP stopped working the second I upgraded to Pro 6  (Read 4905 times)

janshim

I've come across a few posts about other users experiencing the same problems but with no solution. If there is a fix, I didn't see it. Where can I download a copy of Avast Pro 5? I only see references to Avast Antivirus 4.8 and 6.0 but nothing in-between.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 03:11:01 AM by janshim »

doktornotor

Re: Gmail POP3/SMTP stopped working the second I upgraded to Pro 6
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 08:20:04 AM »
Most likely, your settings are incorrect in your email client. Do NOT enable any encryption (SSL/TLS) there, leave the ports at default values as well (25,110,143).

greener

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 11:50:19 AM »
I hope this thread "http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=73702.msg612062#msg612062" can solve your problem.

janshim

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 09:02:08 AM »
So far no working solution with Avast 6. The only setting that works for me is to disable email scan permanently and turn SSL back on in my Eudora PRO 7. With Avast 5 it was straightforward .. switch all SSL in Eudora Pro to "None" and let Avast Pro manage it. Everything worked automatically. With 6 it's a struggle and things still don't work and I'm a very hands-on IT pro for 13 years. What else could be wrong?

doktornotor

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 09:04:10 AM »
Post the screenshots of your settings (both email client and Avast Mail Shield - SSL accounts tab).

janshim

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 03:01:58 AM »
Post the screenshots of your settings (both email client and Avast Mail Shield - SSL accounts tab).

Screenshots attached. I've tried a few Ports to no avail.

doktornotor

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 10:10:04 AM »
The avast! settings are completely wrong. Delete all those.

janshim

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 11:28:39 AM »

Deleting them will not automatically generate new ones despite "Automatic" is checked. I recall in Avast 4 and 5 .. the settings simply worked and I never had to mess with the settings.

doktornotor

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 01:10:27 PM »
Deleting them will not automatically generate new ones despite "Automatic" is checked. I recall in Avast 4 and 5 .. the settings simply worked and I never had to mess with the settings.

Once again, they are wrong. Needs to be 993 (IMAPS) and 465 (SMTPS). Could have never worked this way. Also, the autogeneration works just fine for me. I would recommend a clean avast! v6 install in case you have more issues like this (as opposed to upgrade), using the removal tool in safe mode to wipe ALL versions of avast! you had previously installed.

Hermite15

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 01:15:41 PM »

oh you recall avast 4 ;D >>> there was no ssl proxy in Avast 4 (third party stuff was needed and I doubt you ever used that).

janshim

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 04:11:27 PM »

Once again, they are wrong. Needs to be 993 (IMAPS) and 465 (SMTPS). Could have never worked this way. Also, the autogeneration works just fine for me. I would recommend a clean avast! v6 install in case you have more issues like this (as opposed to upgrade), using the removal tool in safe mode to wipe ALL versions of avast! you had previously installed.

I followed your advice and installed a clean copy of Avast 6 and it worked. The Auto generation also works and the working POP3 port is 995 and SMTP 465. All is well now. Thank you.

doktornotor

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 04:14:06 PM »
Thanks for reporting back and enjoy avast!  8) ;)