Author Topic: What Changed?  (Read 17936 times)

PeeJay

What Changed?
« on: September 25, 2004, 02:30:37 PM »
Hello everyone!

Well I have been running Avast for a while - it caught a lot of incomming viruses!

Then I wanted to upgrade to WinXP from Win98SE and that was a mistake - WinXP bombed and now I'm back to Win98SE. The instal messed up a lot of my program settings and even hardware settings!

Anyway after I got Win98SE back up and running I noticed that when I check my Email - the Avast Email Icon no longer is shown on my Task Bar when I check my Email. I ran the Email Wizard and made sure the right servers where on the right tabs. But still no Email Icon.

I re-downloaded Avast 4 and did a clean install (I even used the Avast Clear program or whatever it's called to wipe the old program off) but still no Email Icon. Yes, the Icon tab is checked.

Is my Email not being scanned?

Does anyone have any help or advice for me?

Thanks much!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:What Changed?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2004, 03:18:48 PM »
If your system can handle it, I recommend to use XP. Much more secure than 98(se). XP and 98 are very different. XP is NT based. So a upgrade is not advised. A clean install is. Ofcourse XP needs other drivers than 98(se). But the choice is yours ofcourse.

Before we can help you, you need to give more information.
- What version of Avast?
- What are you using as email client?
- Any errors in Avast's log file? (if so, exact error)
- Other relevant information.....

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2004, 04:58:26 PM »
It's well known that the upgrade from Windows 98 to Windows XP requires an uninstall avast / boot / install again / boot sequence... As you wrote, the instal messed up a lot of my program settings...
The best things in life are free.

PeeJay

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2004, 01:11:17 PM »
Well I guess I'll try and re-install it again.

If it doesn't work this time, I'll use something else.

PeeJay

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2004, 01:58:59 PM »
Well it's still not scanning my Email for some reason - even after 2 reinstall's.

Any ideas?

I'm using Netscape Email with a Win98SE P-III 550 mHz PC.

PeeJay

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2004, 02:29:26 PM »
Ok!

I think I fixed it.

I changed my mail server in Netscape to 127.0.0.1 and I also added the line PopListen=127.0.0.1:110 to the Avast.INI file. And now the Email icon is back when I check my Email.

I must say I never had this problem before - and I don't think it has anything to do with my problems with WinXP.

Looks like the Install of Avast 4 is what's different - because I never had this problem when I first installed Avast with the older version.

Anyway I think I have it working now.

Thanks for the replys.

markus0r

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2004, 02:32:54 PM »
If your system can handle it, I recommend to use XP. Much more secure than 98(se)

hmm, i think you'll know it better, but my opinion is that this sentence is wrong..

win98 is very old, and nearly no one will code viruses anymore for 98, for xp they will (because most of the windows-user are using XP instead of the "old 98")

PeeJay

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2004, 02:39:37 PM »
I agree with that.

But I still can pick up viruses under 98se!

Anyway, I can't* run WinXP. Microsoft advised me to NOT run XP on my machine after talking with them for about 35 minutes on the phone trying to get XP to work properly on my machine.

So instead of ripping my whole system into pieces - I'll just stick with 98se - as advised my Microsoft.

markus0r

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2004, 02:50:32 PM »
yes, but you will get surely more viruses on XP than on 98! (thats sure..)

in my opinion XP sucks, although i'm using it too..

Negeltu

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2004, 02:53:57 PM »
You're quite wrong.  XP IS much more secure.  Also, in regards to virus coders...Most viruses written for 98 work fine on XP and vice versa...  I am not quite sure where you are getting that info.

markus0r

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2004, 02:55:01 PM »
I am not quite sure where you are getting that info.

i said that this is my OPINION :)

well, maybe i don't like xp because i'm still a win98 fan :)

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2004, 06:53:25 PM »
Sir markus0r,
i said that this is my OPINION
It's amazing but this the 5th thread I've looked at this morning and you've had something to say in each one of them??? Nothing constructive or helpful but, youve had something to say.
If you're looking for more posts to add to your score, please let me know. I'd be happy to give you some of mine. In the Off-Topic post, idle chatter is fine. In the rest of the threads, there are people looking for help with a problem that needs to be solved. They didn't post their problem to be confronted with idle chatter or criticism. Read and Learn. Then if you have something constructive to add, post. ;D
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Negeltu

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2004, 04:33:28 AM »
Yeah, alot of people seem to have that opinion.  That's cool with me, but it simply isn't true.  It is strange to me how we ALL have some beliefs that aren't based on good research and facts (Excluding religious and philosophical beliefs which cannot be proven nor disproven through experimentation).  Perhaps I'm biased, as I have yet to have any serious problems with Windows XP.  If installed/configured correctly, XP is a much more secure AND MUCH more stable OS than the previous versions of Windows.  This isn't my opinion, this is pretty much fact.  Of course there are some systems that XP doesn't work well on, but those systems probably shouldn't be running XP to begin with...due to out dated hardware and low resources such as RAM.  :)  Some people just like to hang on to the past...which is more familiar territory.

My comment from before was mostly in reference to you saying that no one codes viruses for 98 anymore.  Which isn't true at all.  Sorry for any misunderstandings.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2004, 04:42:54 AM by Negeltu »

markus0r

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2004, 05:01:54 PM »
Sir markus0r,
i said that this is my OPINION
It's amazing but this the 5th thread I've looked at this morning and you've had something to say in each one of them??? Nothing constructive or helpful but, youve had something to say.
If you're looking for more posts to add to your score, please let me know. I'd be happy to give you some of mine. In the Off-Topic post, idle chatter is fine. In the rest of the threads, there are people looking for help with a problem that needs to be solved. They didn't post their problem to be confronted with idle chatter or criticism. Read and Learn. Then if you have something constructive to add, post. ;D

well, i just can say, that i dont care what you think about me, and i really dont give a fu** if you say its bad that i say nothing construcitive..

My comment from before was mostly in reference to you saying that no one codes viruses for 98 anymore.  Which isn't true at all.  Sorry for any misunderstandings

first READ; then READ again and THEN answer..i said that "nearly" (see? "NEARLY") no one codes virues for 98 anymore...

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2004, 05:11:01 PM »
Most viruses written nowadays are attacking ALL Windows versions except for Win 3.x and lower. Win-XP on a ntfs file system is much more secure than Win98(se). If you spend some time on research and learn to know XP, you can make it even more secure, just with the options it standard has build in.