Author Topic: What Changed?  (Read 17934 times)

markus0r

Re:What Changed?
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2004, 05:13:14 PM »
Take your time to read and understand it. No need to rush when it comes to security  Better slow and safe than fast and infected  

a very wise, true sentence

* Sir markus0r is bbl, reading the site :)

fannymites

« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2004, 05:40:05 AM »
Well I decided to do a completely fresh install of XP after all.
avast! was the first program I installed and I'm still getting disconnected when avast! tries to update and when the email scanner checks my mail.
On top of this, I just D/L'd Antivir and it picked up a virus in my Firefox cache that avast! missed.
I just don't feel safe with avast! anymore.   :0(

Offline radicalb21

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • Be Safe. Be Smart. Use Common Sense.
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2004, 06:24:01 AM »
What was the name of the virus in question? Was avast up to date?
I would appreciate any and all info you could provide about the virus in question. Also did you send a sample to avast at virus@asw.cz ?
iMac 21.5 " Mid 2011 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

fannymites

« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2004, 07:18:24 AM »
The virus in question was - win32:Trojano-281[trj] and I don't believe it is a new virus.
I only found out when I was copying my Firefox profile to a backup location
and Antivir (which I had only installed a few minutes before) popped up and told me there were signs of the above virus in my Firefox cache.
I still don't understand how it got there or why avast! didn't detect it.
I only re-installed XP the other night and so far I have been unable to to update avast! because I keep getting disconnected every time I try (read my previous posts in this and other threads.
I so want to solve these problems with avast but after a month of these problems on XP upgraded from win 98 and again on a fresh XP install I've just had enough and am now trying out Antivir (even though it takes about half an hour to download an update).
As I have said many, many times, since switching to XP avast! is the only thing that has caused me any trouble.

Negeltu

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2004, 09:22:48 AM »
It is possible that it is a false positive.  Antivir has heuristics right?  

Offline radicalb21

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • Be Safe. Be Smart. Use Common Sense.
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2004, 09:42:03 AM »
Thats correct AntiVir does use heurestics and it could possibly be a false positive.  I'm checking on that. First question Was avast uninstalled before installing AntiVir? Second what were your settings on Antivir for the guard as well as the main program? Did you have heurestics enabled in either one or both or just one of them? What was the exact file path where the file was located? Was it the guard part of the program that alerted you or was it during a regular scan of your system? I'll try and help you if I can can.  
iMac 21.5 " Mid 2011 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2004, 02:16:28 PM »
Thats correct AntiVir does use heurestics and it could possibly be a false positive.  I'm checking on that.

AntiVir has a lot of false positives... But you must be sure. On-line scanning is the best way. http://virusscan.jotti.dhs.org/

First question Was avast uninstalled before installing AntiVir?

If you're using AntiVir (free version), you don't have to uninstall avast. You won't be two residents and the programs won't be in conflict.

Second what were your settings on Antivir for the guard as well as the main program? Did you have heurestics enabled in either one or both or just one of them? What was the exact file path where the file was located? Was it the guard part of the program that alerted you or was it during a regular scan of your system? I'll try and help you if I can can.

Of course, the Heuristic settings could answer why avast! does not detect that file...
For me, AntiVir detect a lot of 'macro' false positives, specially in zip archive files.
The best things in life are free.