Author Topic: AUTO Sandbox Avast 6.0.1044, Freeware version  (Read 10888 times)

rjl24

Re: AUTO Sandbox Avast 6.0.1044, Freeware version
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2011, 05:33:08 PM »
Actually turned on Auto Sandbox and made sure the correct path is showing for the program, still it is Sandboxed.  Darn.

Will try rebooting first before uninstalling Avast and then reinstalling.

Unless there is an easier way.

rjl24

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2011, 05:36:59 PM »
Software is DVD Shrink v 3.2. which is an old, yet excellent file shrinking software for DVD's.

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2011, 05:42:37 PM »
Okay, that is a prog that needs a setup.

When I start the setup, avast does not kick in. Did you install it in sandboxed mode or did the sandbox kick in when you started the already installed version?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 05:57:06 PM by Zyndstoff »
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

rjl24

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2011, 05:43:35 PM »
I moved the problem software to another drive and that solves the immediate problem.

Opened it fine using AutoSandbox allowing the program to open normally all the time.

I probably had done that previously, and the reason Auto SandBox was asking today is I had to uninstall and reinstall Avast due to an issue with updating my virus definitions.

I will delete the DVD Shrink program files from my F drive and simply use it from my W drive.

Solution works, but problem not really solved.

Thoughts?

rjl24

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2011, 05:44:35 PM »
I think AUTO Sandboxed is default ON.

doktornotor

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2011, 05:44:58 PM »
Solution works, but problem not really solved.

What problem in the first place? You have obviously ticked the wrong "remember this" option. Kindly ponder the GUI settings of Autosandbox a little more and undo what you have done.

rjl24

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2011, 05:50:26 PM »
We can agree to disagree.  I had left the box unticked originally regarding Sandboxing the DVD Shrink.  When Shrink was in the F drive, it was a one off tick earlier this morning NYC time..

I did however tick the "all the time" box at the bottom of the AutoSandbox for the program to operate from the W drive.

Hope this is clear, as your assistance is terrific.

As long as the software I require works, I will leave it up to developers to assure us that hiccups are either operator caused (me) or possible software glitches.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • tex62
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2011, 05:56:17 PM »
Would you pls answer these Questions for me?

Thx
Free MBAM Clear

rjl24

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2011, 06:11:05 PM »
Initial problem:
I decided to allow the Sandbox to Sandbox a program without ticking the 'all the time' box at the bottom of the settings. Been using said program for years.  The reason the AutoSandbox kicked i is that this version of Avast is new on my computer as it was a reinstall from an earlier issue related to the file definition update not updating.  Long story, but uninstalled Avast and reboot and reinstalled Avast and that solved that issue.

When I attempted to allow the same DVD Shrink software via the file location in my F drive  in the AutoSandbox settings the program was still Sandboxed.

I Tuned off Auto Sandbox and that made no difference.

I turned on AutoSandbox once again and made sure the file link for exclusions of software to be blocked in AutoSandbox was accurate and clicked ON the Autosandbox.

Still the program, in either Autosandbox on or off, was surrounded by a red box, the indicator for something Sandboxed.

When I copied the software in question to my W drive and opened the software, a caution message from Avast came up and I then said allow this software to operate normally, and ticked the ALL THE TIME box at the bottom of the settings page.  Software works from from my W drive.

Software now works fine from the W drive and no longer is functional from the F drive, as it is still Sandboxed by Avast, even though the file is listed as excluded in the box of exclusions.  BTW, the W drive version of the Shrink program is also listed in the same dialog box.

Just tested DVD Shrink again from my F drive, as I am writing this, to make sure my statements are accurate.  Opens only in Sandboxed mode when started in F drive.

So there seems to be no way for me to undo the AutoSandboxing of the DVD Shrink in my F drive. 

I admit I may be in error, and seek any and all help in better understanding what I am doing.

Thanks for your patience and information.

Cordially,
RJL

Dieselman

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2011, 06:12:50 PM »
Solution = Sandboxie

rjl24

AUTO Sandbox Avast 6.0.1044, Freeware version
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2011, 06:18:24 PM »
And what will Sandboxie do that Avast does not do?

Looked at the link to Sandboxie and am unsure if it will add or comlpicate my system what with Avast, Windows Defender, and Malware Software and the like.

Thoughts?

Dieselman

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2011, 06:22:08 PM »
Sandboxie is not complicated at all. You can disable Windows Defender since its pretty much worthless. As far as Sandboxie.................Install it and forget it. Thats how it works.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 06:25:44 PM by Dieselman »

Dieselman

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2011, 06:24:02 PM »
Here is a video done by my buddy Matt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GueXMq-Vyi8

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • tex62
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2011, 06:30:30 PM »
Dunno what you did, but I can't reproduce the problem.

When the Auto-Sandbox pop up kicks in and you select "Open sandboxed", you can not tick the "remember this" option.

So I opened the prog sandboxed. Closed it again and restarted. Again, the SB-pop up asks me. This time I selected "do not open sandboxed". Works fine.
I closed again, restarted, selected "do not open sandboxed" and ticked the "remeber this" option.
Closed and opened again: no pop up, not sandboxed.
Closed again, edited the exclusion list by deleting the prog entry, restarted the prog: voilá, pop up.

Everything is just working perfectly.

So I come to believe that you messed up something with your Avast installation, regarding your last post about this.

I would recommend to uninstall avast completely, delete all folders that Alwil / Avast might leave on the PC and then reinstall Version 6.0.1044.
Free MBAM Clear