Author Topic: I like Avast, but...  (Read 8989 times)

kodl

I like Avast, but...
« on: April 01, 2011, 05:51:54 PM »
Before I post any questions, let me post this Quote: "Don't shy away from criticism, because it's healthy and it makes you better at what you do."
I like AVAST, I believe Avast is one of THE BEST! That's why I'm still staying with it, that's why I'm trying to found solution for all those "OOPS" I discovered in this software. Now my questions:
1. I created Custom Scan just for Memory and it is always indicate Malwarebyte's as a thread. WHY?
2. Progress bar in Custom Scan for Rootkits is not working in last 4 versions of AVAST. Why?
3. Avast is not working with MS Outlook 2011. Posted "solutions" are not working, because most of IP's REQUIRE SSL/TLS encryption. Setting Outlook to disable/use default is not working at all. Everything was working OK with older version of Avast. WHY not now?
I have mjore questions, but for now i like to hear some answers. Thanx in advance for any info.

doktornotor

Re: I like Avast, but...
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 06:00:49 PM »
1/ Because it will detect unpacked unencrypted virus signatures in the DB.
2/ No idea, do not care.
3/ You need to set up your client properly, using NO encryption and ports at default (25,110,143) and avast! will take care of the encryption and ports settings for you. This has been asked over and over again and is documented in detail in both the bundled help file and in the online KB. Read the documentation, it is there for a reason. Others do not like to waste time answering the same kind of "problems" again and again.  >:(

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 06:01:42 PM »
1. I created Custom Scan just for Memory and it is always indicate Malwarebyte's as a thread. WHY?
Look here http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=74430.0

3. Avast is not working with MS Outlook 2011. Posted "solutions" are not working, because most of IP's REQUIRE SSL/TLS encryption. Setting Outlook to disable/use default is not working at all. Everything was working OK with older version of Avast. WHY not now?
What do yo mean about older...avast4.8 ?   It could not scan SSL accounts unless  using a program called stunnel

avast! 5.x: Some e-mails are not scanned by the Mail Shield
http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=458

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 06:14:33 PM »
1/ Because it will detect unpacked unencrypted virus signatures in the DB.
2/ No idea, do not care.
3/ You need to set up your client properly, using NO encryption and ports at default (25,110,143) and avast! will take care of the encryption and ports settings for you. This has been asked over and over again and is documented in detail in both the bundled help file and in the online KB. Read the documentation, it is there for a reason. Others do not like to waste time answering the same kind of "problems" again and again.  >:(
@ doktornotor...That is what we are here for! To answer questions that others have. If you don't want to answer the question...don't answer it. People come here for help and direction. That is what we do. I do hope the OP received an adequate answer to her query.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

doktornotor

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 06:16:26 PM »
That is what we are here for! To answer questions that others have. If you don't want to answer the question...don't answer it. People come here for help and direction. That is what we do. I do hope the OP received an adequate answer to her query.

Fine, if you wish, you can answer the same kind of PEBKAC problems in detail over and over again - I have better things to do with my time. For me, people who did not bother checking the help file before asking just failed. Come after reading the documentation did not help you, not before.

kodl

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 06:27:56 PM »
Thanx every1 for answering my questions. I will ask my question #1 differently: Do any1 have solution for Malwarebyte's "protection module" be enabled and not interfere with Avast Memory Scan?
Pondus: I already tried what is included in your link. It is not working, because most IP's setting do not allow to disable/ use default setting for encryption, even when I did suggested setting in Avast. It is NOT working this way.
Email scanning and inserting result notification WAS working in Avast version 5.0.545 with Outlook Express 2007 and with Avast version 5.0.677 with same version of Outlook and this is my reaction for answer #3 from doktornotor.
To bad, nobody answer my question #2. I'm open to any ideas, thanx.

doktornotor

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 06:33:16 PM »
1/ No, no ideas. It will do the same with Windows Defender and lot of others. Unless you persuade MBAM author to rewrite it, no solution.
2/ How exactly would like to track the progress? Rootkit scan is not the same thing like when you have XXXXX files out of YYYYY scanned.

Wrt Outlook & encryption: PEBKAC as explained on the other thread, period.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 06:41:55 PM »
There have been a few people with your issue of avast detecting malwarebytes and the only way that it has been solved is by sticking to the normal scan's or taking the memory scan option out of your custom scan.

kodl

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 06:59:40 PM »
doktornotor, LOL..I already tried. It looks like Malwarebyte's team is bunch of arrogant stupidos.They told me they will not apply any changes because one of antivirus program detecting them wrongly. It's make some sense to say that, but I do not have any idea if AVG or NOD32 is detecting same thing....
#2: I presume, if that progress bar is there it is there for some reason....what is the reason for being there and not working?
And...reading forums posts I realized I'm not the only1 with problem with Outlook 2010 and Avast... It seems to me there is NO solution for it!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 07:21:15 PM »
The solution is to NOT select "scan memory" when using custom scan

I recomend using the default quick / full scan with default settings. this should be good enough for the normal user
remeber that avast team play with malware 24/7 so they know what is working...

Pondus: I already tried what is included in your link. It is not working, because most IP's setting do not allow to disable/ use default setting for encryption, even when I did suggested setting in Avast. It is NOT working this way.
it worked just fine when i had my avast sett up for my gmail account using outlook express
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 07:26:27 PM by Pondus »

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 07:24:11 PM »
I kind of remember of having read somewhere that Outlook 2010 is not supported ATM. Not sure where, but it was a mod, I believe.

Do you use Outlook just for email? If so, there are better options.
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

Dieselman

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 07:24:57 PM »
Web mail is the best and a more secure means of email.

kodl

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2011, 08:51:21 PM »
Pondus:..."The solution is to NOT select "scan memory" when using custom scan"....LOL that's NOT solution at all. Again: If it is there, I presume it is there for some reason. What is the purpose of offering something if it's not working OK?
doktornotor:..."It will do the same with Windows Defender and lot of others", I disabled Defender, WinFirewall and Automatic update right after I install Win7 x32 Ultimate.....

nofallyaqoo

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 10:51:03 PM »

2. Progress bar in Custom Scan for Rootkits is not working in last 4 versions of AVAST. Why?

there was same Q was asked by Saudi guy and he was saying what did u say

:D

kodl

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 11:22:27 PM »
I know I'm not the only1. So far nobody give a **** about that. Toooooo bad. Even some other my questions wasn't answered....