Author Topic: cannot install avast free edition  (Read 8983 times)

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: cannot install avast free edition
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2011, 04:20:50 AM »
hmm i worried maybe that virus also deleting some windows component that important for installing avast (part of visualbasic maybe :P, like .dll or .ocx files) so try to open command prompt and run as administrator first (if win vista or win 7 in start menu search for cmd and right click "run as administrator") and then type sfc /scannow
Good idea on the file checker.

Has your system crashed recently? Any blue screen with errors?

Since avast did disappear there may have been some corrupted or maybe missing files. This is very abnormal for this to happen. I'm thinking that even though Malwarebytes found nothing you should go ahead and download and run OTS http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0. The instructions are also in this link. I have notified essexboy who is a malware removal expert. He will be the person who will give instructions on what to do after posting the OTS log file. On how to attach the log please see my attachment.

Was there also a log file to go along with that error message? setuperror.txt?

You didn't mention anything about a firewall. What firewall are you using?

Also, are you logged on to an administrator account while performing the install? I am searching the forum to see if I can find anything else that may help.

Doing my best here to get this solved. I know this is a lot of questions but this is not turning out to be a simple problem to repair.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 11:03:39 PM by Charyb »

mitchel0

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 11:46:33 PM »
ok, im running the deafult windows firewall, i have administrator privileges, its not the admin account, the admin account doesn't show up(this is the only account) ots, i tried posting the setup log but it was to big, i will  add it as an attachment,.

Offline claudiuc

• avast! Security Expert
  • Avast Reseller
  • www.avastantivirus.ro
    • www.avastantivirus.ro
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2011, 11:57:40 PM »
You should search on google for this error:

13.04.2011 17:50:48 system: Executing:C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\vcredist_x86_SP1.exe /q
13.04.2011 17:50:51 system: Executed:C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\vcredist_x86_SP1.exe /q
13.04.2011 17:50:51 system: ERROR: VC redistributable check failed, error 0x000036B1

Maybe you can try to install vcredist_x86_SP1.exe manually.
Claudiu C. - Easy Media
Avast & AVG Distributor Romania, Moldova, Hungary
https://www.avastantivirus.ro/

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2011, 01:46:21 AM »
Thanks for the log file, it helps a bunch.

Could you check in add/remove programs to see if Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable is installed?

Whether or not it is there, please reinstall/install it. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=A5C84275-3B97-4AB7-A40D-3802B2AF5FC2&displaylang=en

I would also clean up the previous failed install attempt of Avast using the uninstall utility before trying to install Avast again.

See image attached regarding error.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 03:24:24 AM by Charyb »

mitchel0

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2011, 03:35:11 AM »
Thanks, i got it installed, what i had to do was re download the c++ redistributable and uninstall it, then re install it. thansk for all your guys help!

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2011, 04:01:50 AM »
Your welcome! Was starting to get puzzled by this. The mysterious disappearance of Avast was very strange. Have a good one.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 04:43:18 AM by Charyb »