Author Topic: AVAST Free 6.x Won't Load  (Read 11039 times)

doktornotor

Re: AVAST Free 6.x Won't Load
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2011, 12:05:17 AM »
So do not download it if downloading about 30 megs of updates is so huge deal. Go and install something else (good luck finding something) and move on. Really do not intend to waste more time with your stubborness, sorry. You have been told what to install. Do not want to? Your decision. Bye.

P.S. And the "logic check" is that noone is going to check for zillion of hotfixes if the installer can check for one update roll-up.

SafeSurf

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2011, 08:33:46 AM »
Should you want another opinion on this matter, you can contact Avast  http://www.avast.com/contact-form.php?loadStyles, use the drop down menu for Technical issues.  Thank you.

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2011, 09:21:18 AM »
Hmmm... guys,

I just checked on the Avast Site (german language). It says there: Win2000 is not supported. (See screenshot)
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

SafeSurf

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2011, 09:33:01 AM »
Yep...English site says XP SP2 or higher for v.6.x http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download#tab2 .

doktornotor

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2011, 09:39:09 AM »
As said here multiple times, it works just fine. Whether they want to support officially an 11 years old system unsupported by MS is completely another question.  :P

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2011, 09:41:05 AM »
So I would agree to the OP in this particular point: the installation/upgrade should not be possible on Win2000 systems, the installer should recognize that.
IMHO a pop-up saying something like: "Avast is not designed for Win2000, however you may install if SP XX and Rollup XX is present on your system. Install yes / no" or anything similar would be the least.
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2011, 03:01:10 PM »
The Business Protection setup recognizes the prerequisites and install them.
But, indeed, a much more complex setup than the PC versions.
The best things in life are free.

balls69bc

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2011, 07:29:57 PM »
So do not download it if downloading about 30 megs of updates is so huge deal. Go and install something else (good luck finding something) and move on. Really do not intend to waste more time with your stubborness, sorry. You have been told what to install. Do not want to? Your decision. Bye.

P.S. And the "logic check" is that noone is going to check for zillion of hotfixes if the installer can check for one update roll-up.

I am NOT being stubborn about this, I am simply being persistent in trying to obtain answers to  questions so that the path forward makes sense to me (the 'logic-check' I spoke of). The questions that I have asked multiple times, yet have not so far been graced with answers to are:

- why would Avast Free 6.x appear to install successfully when 'doktornotor' (and Igor) says that can't happen without Windows 2000 Pro Rollup 1?
- why would Rollup 1 not have been included along with all the other 'critical' Windows Updates that I have been provided over the years?

I think anyone can tell from all of the listings of software-related problems and pleas for help on this and many other similar forums that it is just prudent system management NOT to download and install any software that you either don't need or are unsure of its intent. I am just trying to gather information to enable me to make that determination and I would appreciate your help.

Finally, it would be nice if someone from the Avast team (programmers, documentation, website, etc.) would acknowledge that they should have and will do a better job of listing the complete platform requirements for their otherwise quite good software.

SafeSurf

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2011, 09:33:04 AM »
@ balls69bc,

You have brought up some good questions and concerns, some we cannot answer here.  I have contacted the Avast Team on your behalf regarding your issues.  Thank you.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2011, 10:57:57 AM »
- why would Avast Free 6.x appear to install successfully when 'doktornotor' (and Igor) says that can't happen without Windows 2000 Pro Rollup 1?

Probably you have it already installed - or at least the part that is really needed. There was an update to kernel32.dll contained in that update - without which avast! files will simply not load (because of missing exports).

- why would Rollup 1 not have been included along with all the other 'critical' Windows Updates that I have been provided over the years?

That's a question for Microsoft.