Author Topic: I got a virus- xp home security 2011  (Read 4610 times)

gallen13

I got a virus- xp home security 2011
« on: April 01, 2011, 11:32:20 PM »
I have Avast installed....when I contracted a virus....xp home securtiy 2011...a fake anti-virus program. I could not run any programs...had to reformat and re-install windows xp.

Anyone had this problem and what is Avast doing about it?

Dieselman

Re: I got a virus- xp home security 2011
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 11:34:56 PM »
You did not have to reformat Windows. That was an absurd step to take. There are several free tools to remove it. No protection in the world is perfect. Malware develops everyday in new forms.

See how good Avast did here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcNLWccDI7U
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 11:37:08 PM by Dieselman »

gallen13

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 11:52:16 PM »
Yeah...thing is how do you get the tools if the internet is down and you can't run any thing....

...I will check how good Avast did there...just as soon as I have re-installed Flash:)

Dieselman

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 11:55:18 PM »
Another working pc of course. I have all I need on USB sticks. I also have a Kaspersky Rescue CD handy. We could have helped you if you asked first.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 12:07:18 AM »
It's nice to see something good from youtube. But I prefer the real experts.
@ OP try to send the sample to virustotal.com  If you can't you may need to take your machine to the shop. I will send this link to someone with more stars. They will be better able to assist you.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Dieselman

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 12:27:26 AM »
@ OP try to send the sample to virustotal.com  If you can't you may need to take your machine to the shop. I will send this link to someone with more stars. They will be better able to assist you.

Lol. How is he suppose to send a sample when he formatted his pc. Also rogues change daily so a VT upload means nothing cause the code will be different the next day.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 01:41:06 AM »

Lol. How is he suppose to send a sample when he formatted his pc. Also rogues change daily so a VT upload means nothing cause the code will be different the next day.
Like you alluded to USB sticks.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 05:18:26 AM »
I have Avast installed....when I contracted a virus....xp home securtiy 2011...a fake anti-virus program. I could not run any programs...had to reformat and re-install windows xp.

Anyone had this problem and what is Avast doing about it?
Since you reformatted your HDD the only option you might have is to take it to the shop. I feel the reformat might have been counter productive. You have not mentioned if you can access any software on your pc. The more info you provide will help us assist you.   :)