Author Topic: Can't download updates  (Read 10446 times)

doktornotor

Re: Can't download updates
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2011, 11:58:21 AM »
Do you think Avast will work now?

Temporarily, until your HOSTS gets hijacked again. Still need to find the source of infection; essexboy will help with that.

buncer

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2011, 12:01:12 PM »
Great job. Thanks for your help. I will await the reply of Essexboy. Should I try updating again or remove and reinstall avast?

SafeSurf

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2011, 12:12:35 PM »
It looks like that ClickPotatoeLite is some kind of adware: http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Threat/Encyclopedia/Entry.aspx?Name=Adware%3AWin32%2FClickPotato, but before you do anything, I want you to wait for Essexboy to give you further instructions because I see other things going on in your log as well.

buncer

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2011, 12:29:10 PM »
Ok.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2011, 01:02:21 PM »
Hi there appears to be a proxy set, can you confirm that Avast updatees are set to direct connection

The host file was OK as they were sites directed to a loopback

Start OTS. Copy/Paste the information in the quotebox below into the panel where it says "Paste fix here" and then click the Run Fix button.

Code: [Select]
[Unregister Dlls]
[Registry - Safe List]
< Internet Explorer Settings [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\] > ->
YN -> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\: "ProxyServer" -> 10.131.232.70:3128
< FireFox Extensions [User Folders] > ->
YN -> Hosts file not found ->
< Internet Explorer ToolBars [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\] > -> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\
YN -> WebBrowser\\"{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}" [HKLM] -> Reg Error: Key error. [Reg Error: Key error.]
YN -> WebBrowser\\"{0F3385FE-265E-4F39-B1FD-E597E64B289E}" [HKLM] -> Reg Error: Key error. [Reg Error: Key error.]
YN -> WebBrowser\\"{21FA44EF-376D-4D53-9B0F-8A89D3229068}" [HKLM] -> Reg Error: Key error. [Reg Error: Key error.]
YN -> WebBrowser\\"{D4027C7F-154A-4066-A1AD-4243D8127440}" [HKLM] -> Reg Error: Key error. [Reg Error: Key error.]
[File - Lop Check]
NY ->  ClickPotatoLite -> C:\Users\01899382\AppData\Roaming\ClickPotatoLite
NY ->  OpenCandy -> C:\Users\01899382\AppData\Roaming\OpenCandy
[Empty Temp Folders]
[EmptyFlash]
[CreateRestorePoint]

The fix should only take a very short time. When the fix is completed a message box will popup telling you that it is finished. Click the Ok button and Notepad will open with a log of actions taken during the fix.  Post that information back here

I will review the information when it comes back in.

buncer

« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2011, 02:02:41 PM »
Hi,
Updates were set as auto detect, but are now set to direct connection. OTS run with your fix. Log is attached.
Thanks again.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2011, 02:26:04 PM »
Total Files Cleaned = 1,212.00 mb
Removed a bit of rubbish

Is Avast updating now ?

buncer

« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2011, 02:38:48 PM »
Hi,
Hooray! I finally got a successful automatic update! So many crap files as you say.
Is there anything else you would recommend I do to make my computer better? Thanks for all your assistance.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2011, 02:43:52 PM »
I will remove my tools now and give some recommendations, but, I would like you to run for 24 hours or so and come back if you have any problems

Now the best part of the day ----- Your log now appears clean  :thumbsup:

A good workman always cleans up after himself so..The following will implement some cleanup procedures as well as reset  System Restore points:

Run OTS and hit the cleanup button.  It will remove all the programmes we have used plus itself. 

We will now confirm that your hidden files are set to that, as some of the tools I use will change that
  • Click Start.
  • Open My Computer.
  • Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
  • Select the View Tab.
  • Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Do not show hidden files and folders.
  • Click Yes to confirm.
  • Click OK.

SPRING CLEAN

To manually create a new Restore Point

• Go to Control Panel and select System
  • Select System
  • On the left select System Protection and accept the warning if you get one
  • Select System Protection Tab
  • Select Create at the bottom
  • Type in a name i.e. Clean
  • Select Create
Now we can purge the infected ones

• GoStart > All programs > Accessories > system tools page
  • Select Performance Information and Tools
  • Right click Disc cleanup an select run as administrator
  • Select Your main drive and accept the warning if you get one
  • For a few moments the system will make some calculations
  • Select the More Options tab
  • In the System Restore and Shadow Backups select Clean up
  • Select Delete on the pop up
  • Select OK
  • Select Delete
Final stretch

Download and run Puran Disc Defragmenter
For the first run I would recommend a boot defrag and disk check

Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free programmes:

Malwarebytes.  Update and run weekly to keep your system clean

Download and install FileHippo update checker and run it monthly it will show you which programmes on your system need updating and give a download link

It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated.

To keep your operating system up to date visit To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read our little guide  How did I get infected in the first place ?
Keep safe  :wave:

SafeSurf

« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2011, 11:30:54 AM »
We usually recommend that you keep your machine running for a good 24 hours after malware removal to make sure everything is working properly and give it a good test drive.  After this period, please report back in this thread to let us know how things are going (good or bad).

In the meantime, here are a few suggestions in addition to the ones given to you by Essexboy to keep you and your machine safer in the future:

1.   Keep your definitions up to date for both Avast and MBAM. 
2.   Keep all your shields on with Avast.
3.   Update MBAM prior to scanning, then do Quick scans.
4.   Keep your MS Updates current.
5.   Add security related Add-on’s to your browsers for safer browsing.  See my Signature and others as an example.
6.   Use common sense when browsing and do not go to risky sites.
7.   When downloading software, read what you are clicking and do not download adware toolbars which are commonly opted in; look before you click or do a Custom install to avoid putting unwanted toolbars on your machine that lead to spyware tracking or adware.
8.   Check to see that your software is up to date with the free Secunia Software Inspector http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/ since software is changing all the time.  This site gives you the vendor's direct download link making it easy to upgrade your software.  Many of us here scan our machines weekly.
9.    To keep some of the "crap" off your machine, download CCleaner, freeware system optimization, privacy and cleaning tool.  There is a Slim version available as well at http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds – scroll down the page.  It removes unused files (cache, temporary Internet files, etc.) from your system, allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space.  It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history.  Additionally it contains a fully featured registry cleaner.  Most of us here use this, and I use it every time I close my browser(s).

Check back with us after you give your machine a good work out to let us know how you are doing, and let us know if you have any additional questions.  Thank you.