Author Topic: Firewall won't load  (Read 2496 times)

bryonb

Firewall won't load
« on: April 02, 2011, 12:19:40 AM »
I get an error message in avast 6.0 int sec telling me the firewall is disabled. When I select fix now or turn on I get a message that firewall not available. I'm running WinXP SP3,Moz3.6,IE8

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: Firewall won't load
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 12:42:41 AM »
I get an error message in avast 6.0 int sec telling me the firewall is disabled. When I select fix now or turn on I get a message that firewall not available. I'm running WinXP SP3,Moz3.6,IE8
Try...re-run set-up...click "repair". Or...Control panel...add/remove...click "repair". Also what other security software do you have now or ever had?
Don't forget to re-boot.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

SafeSurf

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 11:39:53 AM »
In addition to what was already posted, if that does not fix your problems, please check the following:

1. Did you upgrade or do a clean install to this version of Avast?  Exactly what version do you have?  If the Avast Repair does not work, you will need to uninstall AIS and do a clean install, but we first need to know the answers to # 2 & 3 below as remnants for previous security software can cause conflicts and we can help you uninstall these and fix your problem.

2. What was your previous firewall on this machine and how did you uninstall it (other than Windows firewall)?

3. What were your other security software (antivirus, trial version software, other security software) both currently and in the past on this machine?

4. Once you get the firewall enabled, does it allow avastSvc.exe internet access?
- If it does, delete the entry for it and reconnect to the Internet.  This should force the firewall to ask permission again.

You can also check this for additional information on using AIS: http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=482&ratingconfirm=1

Please let us know if you have additional questions.  Thank you.

PETER STUART PALMER

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 11:28:38 AM »
Recently registered and updated to AVAST home 4. The firewall was shown with a red cross but when I tried to turn it on a message said "Firewall unavailable." I thought tis was normal as I had windows firewall running so I ignored it. After a couple of weeks suddenly I get the "ATTENTION NEEDED" flag on my desktop gadget. I try turning off windows firewall but still cannot get anything but "Firewall Unavailable" from AVAST. Does this mean anything or can I ignore it. I have paid the licence so I would like proper protection as I depend on my PC.

Acer 2820T. Windows 7 64bit. AVAST Home 4.

SafeSurf

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 11:33:33 AM »
@ PETER STUART PALMER,

It would be best if you could start a new thread since the OP has Avast v.6.0 and you are using 4.0.

Go to this link, http://forum.avast.com/index.php, scroll down to the Avast Free/Pro/Suite forum and click it, click the New Topic button at the top of the list and post there (you can cut and paste your post from here).  Thank you.  :)

doktornotor

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 11:35:05 AM »
And before you start: Avast 4 is abandoned.

- Download the latest installer for avast v6 and the avast removal tool.
- Uninstall avast v4.
- Boot to safe mode. Run the removal tool to uninstall v4.
- Reboot, install v6.

P.S. Avast Free does NOT come with any firewall. Your Windows Firewall is either turned off or the broken WMI repository striked back once again. Not really avast related. Also many threads about how to fix here, use the search function of the forum.

SafeSurf

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 11:45:22 AM »
@ doktornotor,

I didn't want to clutter this thread with the v4.0 issue (different from original OP's issue).  That is why I asked this new OP to start a new thread.  Hopefully he will follow up from your post and continue from there.  Thanks.