Author Topic: "Would you use an AV which does not include any on-demand scanning feature? "  (Read 10985 times)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
"Would you use an AV which does not include any on-demand scanning feature? "
Might be nice to have as a second opinion when avast! finds something. Since it's not resident, it doesn't interfere with avast or anything else.

That isn't the question as Logos is asking/talking about, but an AV that 'doesn't have/include on-demand' scanning not an on-demand AV that doesn't have resident scanners.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
Sorry, misunderstood.
In that case, the answer is NO.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Probably I've misunderstood the question.
For a second opinion, nowadays, virustotal is the best on demand scanner only.
If it must be local, MBAM.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Simion

• Advanced Poster
No. Maybe I'm paranoid, but a right click or system demand scan is important to me.

Offline gautam7

Well i wont use av without ondemand scaner because i need it everytime i attach a usb i dont want to just relay on the real time scanner when using usb. I also do weekly quick scan and monthly full system scan because with new virus defination update it might find something it missed before.
Lenovo B40 laptop/ core i3 4010U CPU (1.7 GHz)/ 4.0 GB RAM/500 GB HDD,OS: windows 10 64 bit, Browser: Google Crome/ FF (adblock plus, lastpass,) Security: Avast pro 10, MBAM (free).

Offline Left123

• There Is No Patch For Human Stupidity.
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Proud Community Member&Helper.
Let me edit the question,my question,your answer.Why would i?
AMD Athlon(tm) X2 Dual-Core Processor 4200+ - 2.20 GHz,3,00 GB RAM -
Browser:Mozilla Firefox +WOT - SoftWare:CCleaner - Windows 7 32 bit
No Anti-Virus

Hermite15

funny how quite a few posters here understood the contrary of the question that was asked :D

on access = resident scanner = file system shield, web shield etc...
on demand = manual/scheduled scans = quick/full/custom scans

hope that helps ;D

Offline Left123

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Still wondering.Why would i use an av which does not include on-demand scanner.An av which includes on-demand scanner is more beneficial.No?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 01:46:06 PM by Left123 »
No Anti-Virus

spg SCOTT

Add me to the misunderstood  :P

Ok, without an on demand scanner - i.e. no quick scan for example...

I would say no, even though I don't really do many on demand scans - more for the forum than anything else - I still find them useful to catch stuff that I missed when testing. (like temp files from the use of the likes of jsunpack, or files I send to VT or avast)

Hermite15

Still wondering.Why would i use an av which does not include on-demand scanner.An av which includes on-demand scanner is more benefitial.No?

that's the point... is it really...?

spg SCOTT

An idea?

When installing for the first time?
On-access may not necessarily pick up things that are lurking...

Offline Left123

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Still wondering.Why would i use an av which does not include on-demand scanner.An av which includes on-demand scanner is more benefitial.No?

So you could explain me as i have "misunderstood",the point.
No Anti-Virus

Hermite15

@ Logos
Well most resident on-access AVs as far as I'm aware also have on-demand scanning, so I'm not so sure you would come across that scenario too often other than perhaps cloud AV solutions.

yeah the question says "would..."... keeping in mind that there are no such products yet. I thought about cloud AVs but I think that even Panda Cloud for instance allows manual scans... not sure, I just tried it once or twice a while ago.

I think avast's full range of shields (web, p2p, IM, mail, etc.) to try and keep malware out, backed up by the file system shield (FSS) much depreciates the need for an on-demand scan. For the most part on-demand scans are going to be scanning what are dormant or inert files, the FSS would be scanning active files.

However, new signatures are added constantly and generic/heuristic signatures updated, so it is possible that something that was previously undetected could be picked on the on-demand scan (depending on the scan type). Whilst active files should be picked up by the FSS on-access scanner.

yeah, that's the thing, even a dormant malware (undetected by previous AVS updates) doesn't matter really, as it'd be picked up by the file shield when the file gets "activated" - as long as a new VPS detects it. If the FS still doesn't, then an on demand scan wouldn't either. Remains the case of unscanned archives, doesn't matter either as they'll be scanned at unpacking time.

I too never bothered with scheduled scans with avast 4.8 Home (using the ashQuick.exe hack); as you mentioned the convenience of the avastUI and inclusion of scheduled scanning even in the free version, I do a scheduled weekly Quick and monthly Full System scan.

Since I'm using avast I don't have to make the decision about an AV that doesn't have on-demand scanning, so that bridge remains uncrossed.

again, I didn't start this thread to refer to any other existing AV solution. Thought it was obvious that I was talking about AV conceptions. One last thing, the resident scanners are so good now that I wouldn't be surprised if on demand scanning modes were ditched progressively by security software companies.

Hermite15

nope I meant that "is it really" >>> beneficial

Offline Left123

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster

nope I meant that "is it really" >>> beneficial
Well,at least that's my opinion.Every simple feature is something useful and as far as i know on-demand scanner is not useless.
No Anti-Virus