Author Topic: Missing components?  (Read 4621 times)

majorpanic

Missing components?
« on: September 26, 2004, 12:48:38 AM »
Hi,

I downloaded Avast 4 Home edition today.  When I double-clicked on the setupeng.exe file, I got an error message telling me that the file was missing or more components.

I'm using a Dell PC with Windows 2000.

What's the problem?

Thx,
Chris I

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re:Missing components?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2004, 01:23:29 AM »
Hi majorpanic, welcome to the forums.

It would be handy to know what file was reported as missing, then we can hazard a guess as to what may resolve the problem.

Without the filename of the missing file (a screen print of the error message would be great) we can't say if it's an avast or system file that is missing or a possibly corrupted downloaded setupeng.exe file.

I assume that you didn't manage to get even a partial install of avast?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2004, 01:27:17 AM »
majorpanic, don't panic  ;D

This usually happens when:

1) you install more than one language of avast and after run the 'only one' language setup.

or

2) you have a very old version installed and then, it's better to uninstall and install again.

Can you try?
The best things in life are free.

majorpanic

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2004, 03:49:52 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for the replies!  The error message I get says "This setup does not contain all needed components.  Please use internet update or full setup program."  This error appears a few seconds after I double click on the setupeng.exe file.

I had Avast on this machine previously but uninstalled it some time ago.  I used the uninstall routine from the Control Panel.  I can't find any remains of Avast from the prior install.

Thanks again for any help you can give me.

Chris I.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2004, 04:03:21 PM »
Can you see if you have an entry for uninstall in the Control Panel?
Can you see if you have the avast folder into the Program Files\Alwil Software directory?

It's not a bad downloaded file as you are not receiving the error 'broken package'...
I suggest, if nothing else work, download the application under 'Control' in my signature and choose the option to 'Perform forced uninstall' or use avast! uninstall utility (http://www.avast.com/i_idt_1336.html). If you can't uninstall avast through Control Panel, you can download the uninstall utility called AvClear or AvClear4 (depending on your avast! version).

Then you can try installing it again  :-\

markus0r

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2004, 05:31:14 PM »
2) you have a very old version installed and then, it's better to uninstall and install again.

should'nt you do that _always_?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2004, 08:19:22 PM »

should'nt you do that _always_?

No, some upgrades will be done without any trouble. I'll say that the majority of upgrades until now worked great for me without uninstalling. But I know there were a version (if I'm not wrong 4.1.396 that had some trouble to upgrade...).