Author Topic: WITH AVAST4 HOME MY PC RUNS SLOWER !!!!!  (Read 5635 times)

vale225

WITH AVAST4 HOME MY PC RUNS SLOWER !!!!!
« on: September 12, 2004, 12:57:36 PM »
CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN ME WHY MY PC IS SO SLOW . I HAVE WIN xp-PRO WITH SP2, PENTIUM4 1800, 512 RAM,80G HD, AND IT WAS FAST BEFORE I INSTALED AVAST4 HOME. NOV IT NEEDS 5-7 SECONDS JUST FOR OPEN A FOLDER!!  I HAVE ADSL CONNECTION BUT WEB-PAGES ARE SO SLOW!!  PLEASE HELP ME1
WHAT CAN I DO TO MAKE IT RUN FASTER?
THANKS TO EVRYONE HELPING ME

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re:WITH AVAST4 HOME MY PC RUNS SLOWER !!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2004, 01:56:05 PM »
Hi vale225, welcome to the forums.

For a start, what avast providers are you using (standard shield, Internet Mail, IM, P2P, etc.)? The more you use the heavier the load.

What are the settings of your standard shield on-access scanner? The more sensitive the level, again the heavier the load.

What other programs are you running? What does your Task Manager show for processor load and what is using it?

Have you noticed this since installing SP2? There have been instances of the SP2 update slowing all sorts of things, the internet being just one.

Without this information, we can't really hazard a guess.

Example:

I barely notice any slowing on my system which by all accounts is much less poweful than yours, see my sig.

P.S. Please switch of the CAPS LOCK.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2004, 01:58:09 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2004, 02:12:14 PM »
I pretty much doubt that avast! can slow down that much. Not on 1,8GHz machine with 512MB of RAM.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2004, 02:42:45 PM »
I doubt it is Avast causing this. More likely SP2. Did you by change had Norton on the system, or any other AV? Or do you still have it there? Check taskmanager to see what is loaded. Use STARTUP.CPL to disable everything from loading at boottime which is not needed for the system to work properly and see if that helps. Make sure you also have COMPLETELY uninstalled other AV software that was there before you installed Avast. Especially Norton is tricky to remove completly.

Datagg

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2004, 05:29:15 PM »
MAny have had there systems slowed down by SP2. The fix for many is to defrag the drives. SP2 spreads itself across the drive in enormous fashion. I to benefited from a defrag after Sp2. Try that see what happens...

MHJ

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2004, 03:16:30 AM »
REGARDLESS OF THE FACT, THAT YOUR PC RUNS SLOWER, IT SEEMS, THAT YOUR CAPS-LOCK IS BROKEN!!!

yildi

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2004, 01:43:25 PM »
Vale,
Have you recently checked the spyware you are hosting on your computer? The last time I have bothered Avast for such a speed problem a clean up using Ad-Aware (by Lavasoft, free verion) and Spybot Search & Destroy has solved the problem (exactly the same as you). I think that Avast checks all running processes and these spywares are putting a heavy load on all your activities...

Hope this helps...

Murat

PS. It can be also useful to degfragment your HD but also your registry (using the free NTDEFRAG for example) and also your pagination file (using the free PAGEDEFRAG par example)

roelofensing

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2004, 01:21:17 PM »
I'm currently also looking at why at some instances the PC slows down significantly, at this moment the situation is especcially bad when running KAZAA-LITE, looking at the CPU usage ASHSERV.EXE is extremely high

Excluding de KAZAA download directory from the real-time scan has no effect, only when disabling the P2P service (incl KAZAA) from AVAST one sees a major performance improvement so it seems to sit somewhere in this combination.

Excluding the P2P service should still enforce the realtime scan when opening a downloaded file. or not ?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2004, 01:31:22 PM »
Welcome to the board.

Excluding the P2P service should still enforce the realtime scan when opening a downloaded file. or not ?
Yup, that is correct.

Kazaa (lite) is very well known for slowing down a system a lot.

roelofensing

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2004, 02:27:01 PM »
Kazaa (lite) is very well known for slowing down a system a lot.

I agree, in general KAZAA itself is also slowing the system down

But still it seems to me to be mainly the combination of KAZAA en the P2P service of AVAST. The moment i took the AVAST-P2P down the KAZAA downloads improved significantly and also Windows in general but especcially the Windows refresh rates and the Explorer improved enormously. This is also of course caused by the fact that ASHSERV is running in HIGH-PRIORITY which can not adjusted to see whether it makes any difference.

Actually i can not compare it anymore, in order to see whether XP-SP2 has increased the problems. It might also be that the whole combination of KAZAA, AVAST-P2P and XP-SP2 Firewall is not too fast.