Author Topic: BUG report - windows XP with Service Pack2  (Read 14928 times)

abe

BUG report - windows XP with Service Pack2
« on: September 26, 2004, 11:47:05 PM »
Hi!

I got last version of avast  number 4.31. Installed on fresh windowsXP and ServicePack2.
Avast cause problem with windows service called: DCOM Server Process Launcher. This service has failed, couldn't start . Without this service user cannot run older wersion of executable files. For example older setup files doesn't run (wacom drivers, canon a40 WIA driver...)
As I mentioned I tested it on fresh winXP+SP2 installation. Only avast installed.
Uninstall avast! cause everthing is OK.

Greetings

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:BUG report - windows XP with Service Pack2
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2004, 12:50:43 AM »
I got last version of avast  number 4.31.

Are you sure?
The last version is 4.1.418 and the previous ones are not compatible with SP2.
Can you download the last setup and try again?
The best things in life are free.

techie101

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2004, 12:52:59 AM »
Technical,

Have you had any problems running SP2?

This is the first reported problem with Avast 4.1.418 and SP2.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2004, 01:15:32 AM »
Technical,
Have you had any problems running SP2?
This is the first reported problem with Avast 4.1.418 and SP2.

No, I have not...
Oh, I have some CPU crash: 100% of usage and decreasing only to 50% after some time (1 hour) of inativity or using avast! screen saver.
But I'm sure it's not SP2 related as this is here before I updated my system to SP2.

Note, I think the user is not using 4.1.418 but an older version...

techie101

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2004, 01:29:57 AM »
Yes, it looks like an older version is installed.

I still have not installed my SP2 yet.  Not very confident in its' stability and besides, I have enough programs running to protect my systems....external firewall, popup blocker, script blocker etc that are now part of the SP2 install.

abe

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2004, 01:33:42 AM »
Sorry for mistake about version number.
I'm not sure now what was the version I already removed !avast. But I'm 100% sure it was last available version to download from this address:

http://www.avast.com/eng/down_home.html

I downloaded this program yesterday.
I choose Polish language because is my native language. So it is latest version.

Any ideas?
Thank you in advance

« Last Edit: September 27, 2004, 01:37:06 AM by abe »

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2004, 01:55:00 AM »
Maybe this is a total dead-end, but another question occurred to me.  Is your SP2 the "final", i.e., latest version, as opposed to an earlier RC?

It sounds like most of the work and changes MS put into the last month or so before releasing the "main" version had to do with clearing up compatibility problems with widely-used applications.  But I think avast and SP2 were getting along just fine quite a ways back -- several here were beta-testers of earlier SP2 candidate-versions, and it sounds like the only real problem (fixed fairly early) was getting the new Security Center to recognize avast.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

abe

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2004, 02:11:54 AM »
Hello again!

Thanks guys for effort and support. I know it's maybe a little bit strange if all users run sucessfull avast on their machines and than only one comes with trouble. But it is  ???

I downloaded English version recently (version Jan2004 4.1.418). I installed and still happen this bad things. On first sight everything looks OK - nothing really wrong happen - avast integrated with MS Security Center pretty well. But if you just try to run older program as I mentioned it failed. Nothing happen.

About SP2: Of course it's final version, with digital certificate even.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2004, 02:24:46 AM »
avast! works perfect here, SP2 installed without any single problem 2 or 3 weeks ago. Just like Technical, not even one program found that has any problems with SP2. I guess Technical my friend, we are so lucky, ha ? Actualy, he has some problems with CPU usage, I don't have those problems... screensaver works perfect as well...

OK abe, can you give us exactly the message you get on error ? Screenshot would be great...
« Last Edit: September 27, 2004, 02:28:02 AM by Craftec »

inthewildteam

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2004, 02:42:48 AM »
abe

sp2 will certainly break functionality of certain older programmes. M$ have already identified the issue.

Other problems are appearing with DivX installed before the update to sp2, and many other apps also.

I can't say this would work for you, but in my case it's best for me to apply sensible browsing habits, spyware trojan and virus detection programmes on an unpatched (sp2 I mean) xp pro system until more info or work-arounds are proved to work.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2004, 02:54:11 AM »
DivX problems ? I really don't have any single problem since I installed SP2. Everything works even better... My K-Lite codec pack was installed a way back before I even heard that SP2 is coming out... never updated it, uninstalled or reinstalled... it really works great. Before I updated my Windows to SP2, I use to get those sudden movie freez-ups in the middle of watching some DivX movie (not every movie), but after applying SP2, those problems are gone...

Cheers !
« Last Edit: September 27, 2004, 02:54:59 AM by Craftec »

inthewildteam

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2004, 03:03:28 AM »
Replied to craftec by pm ........sorry

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2004, 03:16:56 AM »
abe,

But if you just try to run older program as I mentioned it failed.
Are you talking about running 16 bit programs and getting an error?
What is the exact error you are getting?
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2004, 03:56:28 AM »
Sorry for mistake about version number.

Don't worry. You found a family. We understand each other. We make mistakes a lot, believe, and we still togheter here  ;)

I choose Polish language because is my native language. So it is latest version.

Ok, I use the Portuguese version so it's not the problem. You tested the English one too... (I love Polish  :D)
Going back to your first post:

Avast cause problem with windows service called: DCOM Server Process Launcher. This service has failed, couldn't start. Without this service user cannot run older wersion of executable files.

Why do you say avast cause the error?
Can you run this service manually?
Can you disable avast, start the service and then start avast? What happens?

avast should not interfere with DCOM...
Did you use DCOBobullator (a program to disable DCOM services)?

andyqkw

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2004, 04:53:27 AM »
I've got the latest version of Avast running on Windows XP SP2 and i've not encounter any problems with this DCOM Server Process Launcher either...