Author Topic: BUG report - windows XP with Service Pack2  (Read 14974 times)

erikguy

Re:BUG report - windows XP with Service Pack2
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2004, 05:29:31 AM »
Actually I had that problem.  I set the service to "automatic".  Problem solved.  But I have another totally different issue.  It seems that the memory scanner no longer works when starting the UI and also, the quickscanner no longer scans subfolders.  I AM running SP2 by the way.

abe

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2004, 10:13:15 AM »

Don't worry. You found a family. We understand each other. We make mistakes a lot, believe, and we still togheter here  ;)

Thanks mate. It's nice to meet so kind people.
I must say I really like avast!. I read a lot positive comments about this antivirus, more recommendation.
And I installed and  must say it's really good soft. Looks ligtweight but also more options makes him powerful! I like it.

Why do you say avast cause the error?
Can you run this service manually?
Can you disable avast, start the service and then start avast? What happens?

avast should not interfere with DCOM...
Did you use DCOBobullator (a program to disable DCOM services)?

As I mentioned after install avast, on first sight nothing wrong happen.. everything works perfect. But some installers and programs doesn't run - on double click nothing happen - no error appear, no crash.. nothing.
Then I had gone accross whole internet to find out why this programs doesn't run. And I found that must be run DCOM  Server Process Launcher. So I looked in my "Services" and Event viewer.

What I found:

DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service upnphost with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{204810B9-73B2-11D4-BF42-00B0D0118B56}

I looked through all events and I found out that after FIRST start everything was OK. So I realized that one of software which I installed cause problems. And finally avast cause problem in my case.
I even install again windows with integrated SP2 and then install only avast! Nothing else.
If avast is installed problems occur, even if I disable real-time protection some programs still doesn't run. If I uninstall avast! programs run correctly.

I can't put up with it  :-[ I'm a little bit tired  :-\
I would use avast but I can't now!

Anyway I'll try to find solution to solve problem.

There is related topic on official WACOM forum but it is not cause by antivirus software.

http://www.wacom-europe.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3474
« Last Edit: September 27, 2004, 10:14:53 AM by abe »

erikguy

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2004, 11:22:29 AM »
Did you try setting the service to "automatic"?  Next, and every subsequent time you start Windows, it will start automatically.