Author Topic: New Beta slowing down my puter-updates tooooo often also  (Read 8044 times)

puter illit

New Beta slowing down my puter-updates tooooo often also
« on: April 03, 2011, 08:30:59 PM »
Hay Guys, anyone else experiencing trouble with the new Beta 6.0. Since installing avast 6.0 it's slowing down my puter, using to much cpu's on boot and taking a long time for all my programs to level off. Than it updates on every boot as many as a few times a day, and even without booting, don't think this is normal? BUT the strangest one is yesterday I unplugged my internet connection on a boot and Avast was still showing as running  :o with no internet connection. Is this a new feature? the old one immediately would show avast with a red ball and warnings I was unprotected if I did not have an interent connection.  ???. OK, no not the new red ball on the beta, lol

uninstalled and reinstalled it once already when I first added 6.0 now using 6.01 and my programs are stil sluggish through out the day and seems to be running to many threads when I close a browsner or program.  :'(

doktornotor

Re: New Beta slowing down my puter-updates tooooo often also
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 08:33:30 PM »
Avast should definitely not show that you are unprotected when there is no network connectivity. At least not until the specified time has elapsed from the last successful update. Mind you, there are still people on dialup and not connected 24/7. Sounds like a bug was fixed for you, not the other way round.

puter illit

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 08:54:37 PM »
Avast should definitely not show that you are unprotected when there is no network connectivity. At least not until the specified time has elapsed from the last successful update. Mind you, there are still people on dialup and not connected 24/7. Sounds like a bug was fixed for you, not the other way round.

Ok so you say that's normal, great! but what about the amount of times it updates during the day :-\. And slowing down all my browsers & programs ???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 08:57:15 PM »
avast checks if there is an available connection each 40 seconds.
If there isn't, wait more 40 seconds to check. Checking does not take more than one second and, of course, does not use the Internet band.
If there is a connection, check for an update. If there is not any new file to download, wait 4 hours to start checking again. If there is an available update, start it and install it. Again, wait 4 hours to check the next time.

The program updates are released but to avoid excessive load on the servers the auto update check happens randomically every 12 hours and it's not checking every time you connect to the Internet as with the virus definitions checks. The cycle is controlled by the servers and can be changed at any time. So no later than 12 hours after the update is released, everyone should get at least one popup. The order is machine-fixed (not random-generated for each update).

Avast Free AV checks for updates every 4 hours. Avast Pro AV and IS check every 1 hour. The program already knows that the update is there, but it won't tell you until it's your turn. You have to allow the update, i.e., it's not a forced and automatic update. They also use 3rd party servers for updates distribution, combined with their huge network of standalone servers, to distribute the content from geographically close locations.
The best things in life are free.

puter illit

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 09:04:11 PM »
avast checks if there is an available connection each 40 seconds.
If there isn't, wait more 40 seconds to check. Checking does not take more than one second and, of course, does not use the Internet band.
If there is a connection, check for an update. If there is not any new file to download, wait 4 hours to start checking again. If there is an available update, start it and install it. Again, wait 4 hours to check the next time.

The program updates are released but to avoid excessive load on the servers the auto update check happens randomically every 12 hours and it's not checking every time you connect to the Internet as with the virus definitions checks. The cycle is controlled by the servers and can be changed at any time. So no later than 12 hours after the update is released, everyone should get at least one popup. The order is machine-fixed (not random-generated for each update).

Avast Free AV checks for updates every 4 hours. Avast Pro AV and IS check every 1 hour. The program already knows that the update is there, but it won't tell you until it's your turn. You have to allow the update, i.e., it's not a forced and automatic update. They also use 3rd party servers for updates distribution, combined with their huge network of standalone servers, to distribute the content from geographically close locations.

But mine seems to be checking every time I reboot even it I reboot 3 or 4 times in a row and takes forever for my programs to load

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 09:09:17 PM »
But mine seems to be checking every time I reboot even it I reboot 3 or 4 times in a row and takes forever for my programs to load
Yeah... The network is being discovered... and avast updated.
To delay the update of avast into a permanent internet connection (DSL), just change (or add) AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds value into the [InetWD] section of avast5.ini file.
You could set the number of seconds to wait before attempting to update. The default is 30 but it may not be enough in some DSL systems. In this case, you can try increasing this e.g. to 60 (1 minute). That should be enough.

doktornotor

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 09:13:46 PM »
To delay the update of avast into a permanent internet connection (DSL), just change (or add) AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds value into the [InetWD] section of avast5.ini file.
You could set the number of seconds to wait before attempting to update. The default is 30 but it may not be enough in some DSL systems. In this case, you can try increasing this e.g. to 60 (1 minute). That should be enough.

People complain about this over and over again. (Mind you, this is not just avast!, e.g. NOD32 does the same thing).

Solutions:

- wait until the system is idle and try to update then (no GUI changes required.)
- make the delay configurable via the GUI.

-> brainstorm.  ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 09:16:19 PM »
wait until the system is idle and try to update then (no GUI changes required.)
-1 Could be too late.

make the delay configurable via the GUI.
+1 :)

doktornotor

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 09:18:11 PM »
wait until the system is idle and try to update then (no GUI changes required.)
-1 Could be too late.

Well, too late for what exactly? Clarify please.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 09:20:44 PM »
Well, too late for what exactly? Clarify please.
To automatically update, i.e., when the computer gets idle could be too late to update. The sooner, the better (in normal conditions and computers).

doktornotor

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 09:22:57 PM »
To automatically update, i.e., when the computer gets idle could be too late to update. The sooner, the better (in normal conditions and computers).

I should clarify that by idle I meant the HDD activity. Not that the computer is sitting there doing nothing. But trying to update when there is heavy I/O activity resulting from boot is the worst possible moment, TBH.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 09:28:33 PM »
I should clarify that by idle I meant the HDD activity.
Hmmm... Do not convince me that it won't be so late...

Not that the computer is sitting there doing nothing. But trying to update when there is heavy I/O activity resulting from boot is the worst possible moment, TBH.
Keeping the security updated is a must have action when boot.
Some machines (like mine) have a heavy boot time...
So the setting into the GUI will be a lovely idea.

doktornotor

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 09:30:53 PM »
Hmmm... Do not convince me that it won't be so late...

Well, once again, too late for what? If you are already infected on boot, it is too late anyway. The few minutes will not really be of any magic help there.

Edit: brainstorm done.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 09:38:28 PM by doktornotor »

YoKenny

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 10:21:09 PM »
Please go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then select your country in Please select your country: then update your Signature: with information like my signature as this helps the helpers offer pertinent advice.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, 10:48:17 PM »
Well, once again, too late for what? If you are already infected on boot, it is too late anyway. The few minutes will not really be of any magic help there.
avast rely mostly in signatures. Other antivirus, like Avira, are very aggressive on zero-day detections and heuristics (with the drawbacks of false positives).
If avast does not update quick, well, we could be in hot waters.
That's my point of view.