Author Topic: New Beta slowing down my puter-updates tooooo often also  (Read 8043 times)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: New Beta slowing down my puter-updates tooooo often also
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2011, 11:06:51 PM »
Erm, I'd ask - what makes you think that the CPU usage is related to avast! updating?

Hermite15

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2011, 11:08:59 PM »
Well, too late for what exactly? Clarify please.
To automatically update, i.e., when the computer gets idle could be too late to update. The sooner, the better (in normal conditions and computers).

got the same thought immediately after reading your post Tech... too late for what ??? Dok is suggesting that the OP would wait until the system is idle and attempt a manual update so he won't get the tens of failed attempts he mentioned in his first post.

This being said, apparently no one here has a clue about the reasons for this behavior on his system, and I don't either ??? ... delaying the automatic update check is another story no one really cares about, especially since it's not implemented. No idea though what the behavior would be with a delayed start of Avast services, could help the OP no idea, but that's not the main issue, his issue is that his system boots and runs like crap when Avast is installed, and we don't know why. We don't even know what his OS is, what programs he runs, the guy didn't say anything ;D

doktornotor

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2011, 11:18:22 PM »
Dok is suggesting that the OP would wait until the system is idle and attempt a manual update so he won't get the tens of failed attempts he mentioned in his first post.

Nope. Not manual at all. Simply wait until the system settles down. As said, it really don't help when you try to download and update quite a bunch of files when there already is heavy I/O and CPU activity due to all the services and other startup items being run.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2011, 11:25:16 PM »
it really don't help
Sure. But maybe it's necessary... Boot/Login update shouldn't be delayed imho.
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2011, 11:28:07 PM »
First, I don't agree with the idea (people may have various stuff auto-started with the OS, various IMs, possibly even e-mail clients, and I'd say it's definitely safer to have the virus database updated before these tools connect to the net).

But second, I'd say the OP suggested that the slowdown is because of the updates - and now everyone sticks to that. But I don't see why it should be that way (especially if he says it occurs multiple times a day - I don't believe a pure update check, without any update being actually available, could use much CPU). So isn't it more likely that it's just something else? (scanning auto-started items? if connected to avast at all?)

doktornotor

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2011, 11:28:31 PM »
Sure. But maybe it's necessary... Boot/Login update shouldn't be delayed imho.

Look - the update actually may well be slower in this case than it would be in case it'd be delayed for a few minutes. And yes, if you ask me, I have observed exactly this on quite a couple of boxes.

Hermite15

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2011, 11:29:52 PM »
Dok is suggesting that the OP would wait until the system is idle and attempt a manual update so he won't get the tens of failed attempts he mentioned in his first post.

Nope. Not manual at all. Simply wait until the system settles down. As said, it really don't help when you try to download and update quite a bunch of files when there already is heavy I/O and CPU activity due to all the services and other startup items being run.

okay, but how do you want the OP to wait for anything, as he's not in control of the moment auto-update occurs... again the only way would be to use this setting found in the troubleshooting section: ie "load avast services only after loading other system services"... is that what you meant? ... there's no other setting available, apart from the auto-update interval that won't help him at all in this case.

edit: or do you suggest that Avast should be set by default to wait until the system is idle until it attempts to auto-update ?

doktornotor

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2011, 11:32:27 PM »
edit: or do you suggest that Avast should be set by default to wait until the system is idle until it attempts to auto-update ?

Yes, suggesting exactly that. Or at least for it to be configurable via the GUI as opposed to manual messing with avast5.ini  ;)

Hermite15

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2011, 11:41:28 PM »
okay, but again, using the existing available setting, delaying the starting of avast services should help or at least be closer to what's expected. Auto-updating depends on Avast services no?

Okay this said I believe like Igor that the auto-update process is very unlikely to generate CPU usage peaks and slow down anything. Must be something else going wrong, conflicting with Avast may be no idea... again it's hard to investigate when the OP brings so little info.

puter illit

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2011, 05:49:54 AM »

Okay this said I believe like Igor that the auto-update process is very unlikely to generate CPU usage peaks and slow down anything. Must be something else going wrong, conflicting with Avast may be no idea... again it's hard to investigate when the OP brings so little info.

WEll, guys, first I'm a "she" not a "he" and if you would ask me those questions instead of bantering amounst yourselves maybe someone could figure out what's going on. As for my OS which I believe is in my profile I'm running XP Pro split hardrive with Vista which I never use 320 GB/Go 7200 Ram and 16mb Cashe with 83% of unused space on XP side and the usual MS programs. NO IM, just CS email platform on start up. Use foxire, gmail, yahoo mail from IE which I load after and it's slow after a boot. As well as another platform installed on my puter which has been giving me problems since installing 6.0. Everything was running at max speed until I upgraded to the beta 6.0.

Now as to the CPU question, on boot my progams are not using all that much CPU except for Avast as high as 70,000k on set up, 20-30 serv.exe but wuauclt.exe as high as 50,000k until avast finishs. Nothing will open not even task mgr until Avast goes thru its thing.