Author Topic: ISA Server with Win SBS 2003  (Read 9460 times)

rjstaines

ISA Server with Win SBS 2003
« on: September 27, 2004, 12:57:47 AM »
I cannot connect to (Avast) server for virus definition updates.  
Can anyone tell me what I must set in ISA server to allow Avast to access it's update server.
Many thanks, Roger

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:ISA Server with Win SBS 2003
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2004, 08:40:14 AM »
So you're asking how to set up avast correctly on the server (the Server Edition) to update via ISA or how to set up the workstations (with avast Pro installed) that are sitting beyond ISA?

Is web access authorization required on the ISA server? (even "Windows Integrated"). Or - is anonymous access permitted?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

rjstaines

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2004, 10:50:19 AM »
Hi,  I'm asking how to set up Avast on the server. It's a Win Small Business Server 2003 with ISA installed in 'windows integrated' mode.

The server has web access enabled (so I can visit www.avast.com in Internet Explorer), but I'm not sure what to set or how to set  access control for avast updates.

Under ISA management I am able to set these (and some other) parameters:
Access policy - site/content rules, proptocol rules, IP packet filters.
Publishing - web publishing, server publishing rules.
Policy elements - destination sets, client address sets, protocol definitions, content groups.

...but I don't know which of these settings will be preventing access for avast updates.
Can you help?
Roger
(competence level: low, but learning quickly because I have a new business & 2 servers to install !! )

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2004, 11:21:32 AM »
No worries, we'll sort it out. :)

1. Go to Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> avast Server Edition -> Change/Remove -> Proxy. What does it show? "No proxy" or "Autodetect"?

2. What account did you use to install avast? I mean, during the installation you were asked for an account. Which one did you fill in? Does the account have outbound web access?

Thanks
Vlk

rjstaines

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2004, 12:15:17 PM »
Hi,

Proxy is set to Autodetect. When I press Test connection, it tells me the proxy settings are correct.

Avast was installed by administrator and thye A/V is running OK.

When I click iAVS update, it shows the Download packages window, butb the progress indicator stays at 0%.  The message 'downloading file:servers.def'  changes momentarily to 'cannot connect to server', then goes back to @downloading files:servers.def' and the progrss ind stays at 0%.
After a while I get a window that says 'Avast server edition setup', then 'server...is down' and the log talks about:
error httpgetwinsock winsockTcpConnect() returned 0x00002751'  

Mean anything to you?
Roger

rjstaines

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2004, 12:18:39 PM »
Sorry, forgot to say that Yes the administrator has access to the web through IE (can access www.avast.com OK). - Roger

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2004, 12:24:13 PM »
Check the service "avast iAVS Control Service".
Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services.

Open its properties and go to the Log On tab. What account is it set to run under? The Local System?

If so, change this account to an admin account with outbound HTTP access allowed. E.g. the same account that was specified during avast install (this is the account that should now be in the Log On property of the "avast! Antivirus" service).

After making the changes, restart the "iavs4 control service" and retry the manual update. Hopefully, it will now work.

Thanks
Vlk

rjstaines

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2004, 01:35:16 PM »
Hi,
I made these changes and it still does not work - same as before.

This computer that I'm now writing this on is NOT the server that I am having problems with.
 I decided I should send you the log, so I logged onto the problem server (as administrator)  and got onto www.avast.com, then onto support...forums and logged on..it said hello rjstaines at the top.
Then I clicked on this thread which opened up BUT the user changed to Guest.
So I loged on again ... rjstaines showws at the top of the screen, then I try to access my profile, again it changes to Guest at the top of the screen.

This must mean something! - (unfortunately it doesn't to me) the problem server is not sending (or receiving) information about my logon to your site?  This must be related to my original problem and I keep comming back to it being ISA that is blocking something.  Does this give you any further clues?

Thanks, Roger

PS - I have to meet a client now, so will be back later, sorry but thanks for your excellent service.

rjstaines

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2004, 12:11:58 AM »
Here's the RESOLUTION to the problem...

Go to  ISA Management console, servers & arrays, this server, ACCESS POLICY, IP Packet Filters.

Create a new filter with outbound, tcp, local=dynamic, remote=all ports

Avast now finds the update server.
Solution was found in Win 2003 SBS Comunity, Newsgroups searching on 'winsock' which was mentioned in the Avast error logs several times.

Hope this helps someone.
Roger

rjstaines

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2004, 06:13:41 PM »
Here's the RESOLUTION to the other problem of the login name changing back to GUEST...

Tick the 'keep me logged in' box when you log in.

Do I feel stupid?