Author Topic: Installation error: usiGetSkin failed!  (Read 22850 times)

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
Re:Installation error: usiGetSkin failed!
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2004, 12:16:02 AM »
Volans:
Please don't get angry. We (me included) would like you to be part of this group and that means being able to use Avast! without any problems.
Have you ever tried to completely uninstall avast! using the avast! Uninstall Utility? If you have not, please try it, REBOOT,  and then just do a simple install of avastwithout any extra steps and see if avast then works for you.
You can find the Uninstall Utility thru the link in my signature.
Thanks for your patience. :) :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Volans

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2004, 12:59:23 AM »
I have used the uninstall utility yesterday, but I don't remember if NSW was still installed or not.

Then I have try another times to uninstall, reboot and reinstall avast.
For this attempt I have downloaded the english version of the program. The installation succeded like the other times, and also the same error appear when I try to start Avast window. :-\\

Thanks,
Volans

P.S. I think that are no differences between the normal uninstall (Add/remove program -> uninstall avast) and the uninstall utility when both works, because the utility is needed only when there is an installation error and the normal uninstall don't work.
Moreover both these uninstaller leave some registry keys in the windows registry. I have try also to leave them and to delete them, before reinstall avast.

Volans

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2004, 01:22:37 AM »
Another little remark, if you allow... :o

Your forum work fine, before the registration I have found various suggestion to solve my problem and since the error still remain I have posted, and received various reply that tried to solve my problem.

Thank you for all! ;) :)

But the Techsupport of Avast is very poor! :(

I have wrote them a mail nearly the same of my first post here, in particular I have wrote:
V> I have read the FAQ of the program and ALL the topics on the support
V> forum about this error, and I have try all these solutions:

V> 1 - registering the dll with the command "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\REGSVR32.EXE
V> ACTSKIN4.OCX". The box with "DllRegisterServer in ACTSKIN4.OCX
V> succeeded" appear regularly.

And the Techsupport have replied only this:
Hello,
 1) Select START -> RUN...
 2) In the row write this command:
    a) If you have Windows NT or 2000:
    C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\REGSVR32.EXE ACTSKIN4.OCX
    b) If you have Windows 95, 98 or Millenium:
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\REGSVR32.EXE ACTSKIN4.OCX
    c) If you have Windows XP:
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\REGSVR32.EXE ACTSKIN4.OCX
 3) Press OK (or Enter).
 4) Message saying that the file was successfully registered should
    appear.

I must deduce that they don't have read my message, but only the title?  ???

I don't know the relationship between this forum and the techsupport, but surely this do not improve the reputation of Avast...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2004, 02:56:52 AM »
Voland, we, from forums, can only be sorry about this  :'(
I'm feeling powerless, impotent...
I'm here for quite a long time and I'm losing here like a newbie: I don't know what can be done  :'(
The best things in life are free.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2004, 03:42:59 AM »
Volans, you are great person... having so much problems and you're still here. That shows us (among the other things) that you are great man. You didn't give up on first problem you encountered with avast! and in my opinion, that wasn't some minor problem... that is something huge, 'cause you are unable to use avast! antivirus because of that.

I am the person (after Martin who is Alwil Team member) who made most of the skins for avast! Unfortunately, your problem is not skin related, but it is related to the program engine that runs skins. We should wait a little bit more to get some answers from Alwil guys.. maybe they have some other possible solutions for your problem. I remember that few people had exactly the same problem as you are having right now, but they followed instructions on this page:

http://www.avast.com/eng/support/faq/avast_4_home_profe/other_questions/i_have_installed_ava.html

... and I remember, those simple instructions solved their problems. Something is really strange on your system, and it seems like those steps doesn't help at all.

Please be little more patient (if you can), and stay here... don't give up so easy, and please don't leave. We will find some solution sooner or later.. I'm pretty sure.

Cheers !

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2004, 05:44:12 AM »
You could also post a hijackthis log, to see if there is something that could "disturb" Avast.
Here you can read, how to do create a log: http://www.hjt.klaffke.de/en .
Your Windows/ie is up to date? If not, please visit www.windowsupdate.com !
MfG Ralf

techie101

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2004, 07:13:24 AM »
Volans,

Hello, my name is Techie and I am one of the Senior advisors here on the forum.

Firstly, I am sorry that a solution has not yet been found, but your problem is one that we have looked at for others, and the instructions provided by Tech Support are correct.

Secondly, TechSupport via email is provided directly from the Avast development team (the vendor).  We here on the forum are avid users who have above average knowledge of Avast, installation procedures, and technical issues.

Thirdly, most of the users here mean well in offering help.
Unfortunately, there are times when the "help" is insufficient, or less than needed.
Be patient.  WE want to know why you have the problem just as much as you so we can help others.

Try something for me.  You have the Italian version installed.  Go into the Add/Remove utility, and select Avast.  Choose the option Change, and install the English version.  Reboot the computer and try Avast again.

Let me know "exactly" what happens.

Thank you.

Volans

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2004, 11:06:10 AM »
How many replies... I'm very strucked! Many Thanks!!!  :D :D

@Technical:
I appreciate your efforts in order to help me, don't apologize, you have done a good job (many suggestion and is not your fault if the problem still remain)  ;)

your problem is not skin related, but it is related to the program engine that runs skins
@Craftec:
Sorry if I wrote that this was a skin problem...  and many thanks for the first part of the message... I only want to be able to use avast! or to understand why I can't use it!
Thanks for asking the Alwil guys... I hope that they have other explanations for this problem.
Even if I can't run properly Avast!, the mails are checked then I can wait some other days before give up!

@raman:
I run once a week AdAware SE, SpyBot and hijackthis. And I have also SpywareBlaster always updated. The checks say that all is ok.
It's hard to have Win98 SE up to date...  but I have intalled all the critical updates once they have been released.

@Techie101:
I have write my remark only for completeness in order to emphasize that this is a very good forum where many people tries to help others, thanks for your job!
In my tests I have installed the italian version, but yesterday I have try also this (after the NSW2002 uninstall):
1 - to go into the Add/Remove utility, and select Avast.  Choose the option Change, and install the English language
2 - download the english version in the avast! site and install directly this.
always the same....

I will wait... compatibly with my patience! ;) :D
Many thanks,
Volans
« Last Edit: September 30, 2004, 11:11:47 AM by Volans »

techie101

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2004, 07:00:03 PM »
Volans,

On your behalf, I have contacted Avast Support directy and requested they research the matter.

Hopefully we all will get some guidance on this problem.

Sometimes, a bug develops that takes time to correct especially if the "known" fixes do not work.

Hang in there.  Let's see what answer we get back from the Avast Team.

Ok?

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2004, 01:50:35 AM »
Volans wrote:
@Craftec:
Sorry if I wrote that this was a skin problem...  and many thanks for the first part of the message... I only want to be able to use avast! or to understand why I can't use it!
Thanks for asking the Alwil guys... I hope that they have other explanations for this problem.
Even if I can't run properly Avast!, the mails are checked then I can wait some other days before give up!

No, no my friend... I din't say you said that skins are the problem. I was just saying to explain it generaly... nothing personal.

And, don't you think to give up !!!  ;D We will find some solution.

Cheers !

BanziBaby

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2004, 05:22:18 AM »
I think i have found out what causes this problem, i just ran a Spybot SD scan with latest updates & it found something called Brainbuster Brainbot, when i expanded the branch i saw it mentioned activeskin, so to test it i told spybot to fix it, then i ran avast & got the same error the original poster got.

Installation error: usiGetSkin failed!

I then tried to restore using spybot's recovery option & still got the error, so i then rebooted & then did a repair on Avast & that fixed it

Here is the entries from spybots log

--- Report generated: 2004-10-01 03:36 ---

Brainbuster brainbot: Root class (Registry key, fixed)
  HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ActiveSkin4.Skin

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ActiveSkin4.Skin.1

Brainbuster brainbot: Class ID (Registry key, fixed)
  HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{0944D16C-D0F4-4389-982A-A085595A9EB3}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ActiveSkin4.SkinLabel

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ActiveSkin4.SkinLabel.1

Brainbuster brainbot: Class ID (Registry key, fixed)
  HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{5954EA75-9BFA-461A-BD34-CEA3A861FF19}

Brainbuster brainbot: Settings (Registry key, fixed)
  HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Component Categories\{010E0B1F-1A47-4D07-A83F-43A819E39CCF}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{4921908C-7090-4D37-A6B3-FC447F08378A}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{750FC67C-0311-4391-9864-A2EFED49BD28}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{F3FC950C-7583-4377-BAD8-EFBEAA33273C}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{90F3D7B3-92E7-44BA-B444-6A8E2A3BC375}

Did Volaris run spybot in the past couple of days?

Seems spybot gets a false positive on this, im pretty sure it is spybot, but i also run prevX home & got the latest updates for that as well, Just out of curiosity, does Volaris run PrevX as well?

If it is spybots fault, it might be an idea for Avast team to notify Spybots makers about it

Hope this helps :)

BaNzI ;D
« Last Edit: October 01, 2004, 05:24:26 AM by BanziBaby »

Volans

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2004, 10:53:43 AM »
Hi BanziBaby,

Yes I have SpyBot S&D 1.3 and I run it regularly every week. I have runned it two days ago, but I have deleted the restore "files" of SpyBot, then I can't try to restore it and I don't find the log.

I don't have PrevX.

I have then searched manually in the windows registry the keys that your SpyBot have fixed, and I have found ALL of them, none of such keys was deleted by SpyBot or any other program.

Thanks, but the mystery continue...  :o

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2004, 12:09:06 PM »
BanziBaby - it's not because it's Spybot's fault, because Brainbuster Brainbot is not a false alarm at all.

See here what these people are doing... something completely different than we do in here:

http://www.ilusion-free.com/forum/index.php

and also here:

http://www.zone-h.org/en/forum/thread/forum=3/thread=416815/

and please take a look in here what these useless idiots that don't have anything good to do in their lifes, are talking about:

http://zone-h.org/en/forum/thread/forum=3/thread=417155/

Btw people, isn't there any possible way to track them down ? They are talking about taking over some servers, computers and stuff like that... as far as I'm informed, that's a computer crime, nothing else... Kubecj ? Vlk ? Igor ?

Btw, BanziBaby, it's VOLANS, not VOLARIS  ;)

BanziBaby

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2004, 04:14:56 PM »
Yes, Craftec, i do know there is a real Brainbuster Brainbot, but if U look at the entries in the spybot log U can see there are four entries for activeskin, Avast is the only porg i use that uses activeskin, so it does seem that spybot is mistaking it for brainbot, it cant be a coincidence that spybot detects it & when U tell it to remove it, avast interface doenst load, only by restoring what spybot cleaned & then rebooting & doing a repair on avast got the interface to work again.

I have a secure system, i use Outpost Pro 2.1 with a very tight secure ruleset, Spybot, Spywareblaster, TDS-3 Pro & avast all updated with latest updates, i think it is the beta detection rules for spybot that causes the false alarm.

Im waiting for VLK of Igor to look at the log entries i i posted to see if they all belong to the activeskin components of avast.

Sorry for gettin Volans name wrong, but i did make that post sometime between 4-5 am ;D

Hopefully one of avast team will reply & let us all know.

BaNzI ;D

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2004, 05:54:46 PM »
Yes, these are (perfectly legal) ActiveSkin entries. I have no idea why SD is detecting is as malware but I've sent them a note, asking for their opinion.

thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.