Author Topic: Avast GUI fails to open from tray icon  (Read 2452 times)

element33

Avast GUI fails to open from tray icon
« on: April 05, 2011, 03:59:19 AM »
Oftentimes, I can't open the Avast GUI from the tray icon. When I click it, the GUI is not shown. The CPU usage goes up, with the Avast process taking up 12.5% (I have an 8-core CPU, which means that the rogue Avast process takes over one core). Avast works fine after a reboot. However, once I've used my PC for a day or two, I get this issue. My speculation as to possible causes: I put my PC to sleep every night. Can this have an effect? That is, can Avast's GUI go "bad" if Avast goes through a PC sleep cycle? Also, I run Malwarebytes in parallel. Can this be an issue? I don't see any bad interaction between Avast and MB (Avast folder is excluded from MB, MB folder is excluded from Avast). I'm on Win7 x64, Avast 6.0.1000, 110404-1. This was also happening in Avast 5.*, before my upgrade to Avast 6.

SafeSurf

Re: Avast GUI fails to open from tray icon
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 08:24:38 AM »
I would try an Avast Repair first:
- Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > Avast Antivirus.
- Scroll down and choose Repair function in the pop-up window.
- Reboot.

Since you did an upgrade from 5.0 to 6.0, if the Avast Repair fails to fix your problem, you may want to consider an uninstall/clean install using the Avast Uninstaller Tool  http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear6.exe and remove ALL versions/products of Avast on your machine in Safe Mode prior to reinstalling, reboot, then install.

Having MBAM and Avast on your machine will create no conflicts.  You have put them into exclusions, so there is no problem there.

Having your machine go to sleep should not be an issue.  However do you clean your machine out after surfing with something like CCleaner?  This may speed thing up for you.  There is a Slim version available as well at http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds – 4th option down.  It removes unused files (cache, temporary Internet files, etc.) from your system, allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space.  It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history.  

Have you done any "housecleaning" to remove dust in the CPU area of the fan?  Is the CPU well ventilated, especially leaving it on long hours?

Let us know how the Repair works, and if you need to do the uninstall/reinstall resolves your problem.  Thank you.

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 09:05:04 AM »
I would also suggest to install the Beta Update to 6.0.1044. It can be installed directly over the existing installation, no prior uninstalling needed.
That version is very stable and has some bugfixes incorporated.
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

element33

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 09:26:30 AM »
Scroll down and choose Repair function in the pop-up window.

Thanks. I'll take it a step at a time (repair, Uninstaller Tool, latest beta) and wait a few days inbetween. I run CCleaner every Sunday. I'm on a laptop, so no access to CPU or fans.

BTW, isn't MBAM Polish, Avast Czech and NOD32 from Slovakia? Funny how the lean-and-tight AV apps all seem to come from Central Europe (maybe not NOD32 anymore, I think it's been now turned into another one of those bloated "security suite" hogs).

SafeSurf

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 09:30:04 AM »
Thanks. I'll take it a step at a time (repair, Uninstaller Tool, latest beta) and wait a few days inbetween.
Good idea.  Yes, when you do the reinstall, use v.6.0.144.

Not all software needs to be locally.  Most important is that it plays nicely with your machine and other software.  ;)