Author Topic: Email server scanning?  (Read 3350 times)

tk4two1

Email server scanning?
« on: September 24, 2004, 05:39:07 PM »
I have a windows 2000 pro machine that is running dmail email server.  Before using Avast I used McAfee.  McAfee would delete viruses from the dmail folders before the email clients on other machines would check their mail.  Avast doesn't do this, is there any way to set it up to do this? I am using Avast Pro.  If not, is there a way to run Avast in silent mode on the client side so that if it detects a virus in an email it will just delete it without any warnings?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2004, 05:39:56 PM by tk4two1 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Email server scanning?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2004, 08:32:44 PM »
I'm not sure as I don't use a mail server but, in the Professional version go to the Tasks, right click the Standard Shield and the Internet Mail provider and on the page 'Virus' choose the automated sequence that should be done when a virus is found.

Hope this helps  ;)
The best things in life are free.

zelani

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2004, 02:08:56 AM »
I've got avast configured on my mail server as a proxy, so avast gets my mail, then passes it to the server.  This setup works just fine, but only because my mail server uses relay security that's based on username/password.  Unfortunately, avast passes MY ip address as the originating ip address to the server.  Reverse dns blacklists or anything else based on originating ip address won't work right because the originating IP address is that of the mail server machine.

I'm not familiar with dmail - I use MailEnable.

It's not at all hard to set up -- there's an excellent how to on these forums for the changes you'll make to avast4.ini ( see http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=1647 )
basically you just have to sent the ip address it listens on, both for smtp and for pop

If you have any problems write back and ask, I'll be glad to help, provided this weeks hurricane leaves me intact (in Florida, usa)

Bill

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2004, 02:55:23 AM »
there's an excellent how to on these forums for the changes you'll make to avast4.ini (see http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=1647)

Thanks Bill for your words...
I'm glad I can be useful sometimes  ;)
The best things in life are free.

zelani

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2004, 05:02:33 AM »
Technical....
You're very welcome...and thank you for the time you spend writing that.

Following your how-to made setting up ashmaisv.exe an absolute piece of cake :)

Bill