Author Topic: Email Addy No Longer Sends/Receives  (Read 3078 times)

Emerald

Email Addy No Longer Sends/Receives
« on: September 27, 2004, 08:13:29 PM »
Hi all,

I am having serious issues, and was wondering if it's an Avast problem.

Running WinME with OE 5.5. Installed Avast during the week of September 24, 2004 (Wed or Thurs).

Recently, my email addy stopped working completely. I am getting 'authentication failed, ''password rejected' type messages. My mail servers have been changed from their correct ones to an ip addy of 127.0.0.1. In the place of an @ in the email addy, there is a #.

I thought this was a virus, so after trying everything to remove it, I (very reluctantly) reformatted last night. I am STILL having the same email problems! Could this be a really mailcious virus that doesn't get nuked when you reformat?
Avast did detect several incoming emails as having the Zerolin.b virus when I scanned my puter last week. This virus is fairly new and pretty bad according to some.

Spoke with my ISP...they tried to change my email's password, and it wouldn't allow them to (this was BEFORE reformat). Other than that, they weren't much help at all, except to say "you might have to install a newer version of OE or another email client".

Avast was one of the first things I reinstalled after my reformat. Could this be the problem??? I read that some AV progs will alter mail server info for mail scanning purposes.

Does anyone have any suggestions??? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:Email Addy No Longer Sends/Receives
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2004, 08:32:17 PM »
- Set OE as instructed by your ISP
- Close OE
- Run the mail protection wizzard (start > programs > Avast > Mail Wizzard)
- Open OE and test the mail

Let us know if this solved it.

If not check Avast's log file for errors. If there are any, tell us which one(s)

Emerald

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2004, 12:41:24 PM »
Hi Eddy,

I appreciate your response :)

The story has changed for the time being, and my ISP has admitted that the problem is at their end. However, this may change!

We have since uninstalled Avast, but were still having the same problems. Wish I would have gotten a look at the log file first :(

Anyway, thanks again....hopefully I won't need to post in the future!

Emerald

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2004, 08:39:40 PM »
I read that some AV progs will alter mail server info for mail scanning purposes.
Does anyone have any suggestions??? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

This is why avast! works... change the pop3/smtp servers are required for email scanning. Nothing wrong here.

Hopefully I won't need to post in the future!

Well, you can come back not only for asking help but to give  8)
The best things in life are free.