Author Topic: avast! 4 Server UI doesn't able to displayed  (Read 7156 times)

Offline Yanto.Chiang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Soli Deo Gloria
    • PT Garuda Sinatriya Globalindo
avast! 4 Server UI doesn't able to displayed
« on: April 05, 2011, 09:41:36 AM »
Hi Ryan,

As i ever mentioned on avast evangelist' skype group that we have an issues with avast! 4 server UI when the user installed avast upon Win Server R2 2003. The issues is :

1. After avast! 4 server clicked from start - program files - avast 4 server, then avast memory scan flash displayed and after that the user never see avast UI anymore

2. User only capable to open avast simple UI, but not for advanced or skin UI

I ever met this issues in avast forum previously, but i never see again the threat which got a similar problem in here.

Do you have any information or troubleshooting such as we facing recently on our user site?

cheers,
Yanto Chiang | IT Security Consultants | AVAST Premium Security | GarudaSinatriya

Offline Yanto.Chiang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Soli Deo Gloria
Re: avast! 4 Server UI doesn't able to displayed
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 10:53:14 AM »
Anybody,

Whether all of you ever met the same problem such as our user issues before?

As i knew the registry should need to edit and changed.

cheers,
Yanto Chiang | IT Security Consultants | AVAST Premium Security | GarudaSinatriya

Offline Yanto.Chiang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Soli Deo Gloria
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 04:54:36 AM »
Morning All,

Here's i shared for registry of avast UI which got a problem to displayed (attach file) and compared with normal avast UI registry.

Offline Yanto.Chiang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Soli Deo Gloria
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 07:01:08 AM »
After i reinstall and remove the previous avast 4 server from win server, and then i am not able to find the ALWIL Software desktop inside on the registry anymore.

Beside that only Enhanced User Interface that won't able to opened.

Does anybody know what is causes of this problem?

Offline Yanto.Chiang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Soli Deo Gloria
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 06:12:00 AM »
Dear All,

Just reconfirmed that the user using Win Server 2003 Standard Edition SP2, is it because avast 4 server not supported this kind of Operating System?

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 06:49:53 AM »
Sorry Yanto, haven't signed into skype in quite a while.  Server 2003 sp2 is absolutely supported by avast 4 server, as I have a few running it.  I also have SBS 2008, server 2008, and now I'm about to have SBS 2011 with it (haven't tried it yet though, but it's just 2008 server core so it should work just fine except for the exchange 2010 part).

As for the interface not showing up, it could be a setting in the computer catalog.  You can prevent users from seeing the "skinned" version of avast by using policies on the computer group.

As to why you can't see the interface, that doesn't seem right.  I'd remove the client and reinstall if possible. I know that this is a server machine so it can be difficult to do much work as they're usually in use a lot of the time.  Try to do it during off-hours if needed.

All that I can say is that I completely confirm that avast 4 server works just fine on server 2003, especially since that's running on XP kernels, which we all know works just fine.

Now that I've posted in this thread, it will remind me when you post something in here and I don't have to rely on skype, so I should be on top of it.

Let me know what you find out after the re-install.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

mfrs

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 02:07:56 PM »
Hi evreybody,

I just comme here because i've got exactly the same problem with the UI on ALL MY SERVERS (win 2008)!!!
None of them can show the UI.
I've got no error message, the avast services seems to work correctly (i sayd "seems") because in fact i can't do anything except watch the services running...

It's realy disapointing and it's not a "little bug". Some of my servers can't be protected because i have to desable the protection of some directories, witch i can't do because of the UI bug...

The reinstall doesn't change anything. The local administrator does'nt change anything and i don't have any spécific polycies for those servers.

What can i do ??? Where can i find the solution ? If AVASt can't fix it what is the solution ??

PS : excuse my poor english language...

Cincerly.

Paul HERY

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 04:01:12 AM »
Well, all I can say is that it's not a bug, otherwise it wouldn't be working on my Win 2008 servers either.

Why would you have to set specific protection on some directories, as they are all protected when avast is installed.

Never mind, what you guys should do is probably wipe the installation on these servers by using the uninstall utility and try again.  I can't tell you how many servers I've installed 4.8 on and never had a problem.  The only problem that I've had is either not having them reported in ADNM, or problems installing ADNM on 2008 and 2008 SBS.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum