Author Topic: Slow Firefox?  (Read 13353 times)

Offline Simion

• Advanced Poster
Slow Firefox?
« on: April 06, 2011, 12:49:29 AM »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Slow Firefox?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 01:36:26 AM »
Fortunately I don't have any of those major ones, I was hoping it might actually be able to check what add-ons you have installed and list them if they have any significant impact. More likely they probably don't have a large database.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 01:39:49 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Simion

• Advanced Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 01:58:06 AM »
Fortunately I don't have any of those major ones, I was hoping it might actually be able to check what add-ons you have installed and list them if they have any significant impact. More likely they probably don't have a large database.
That may come at some point. I think Mozilla is trying to get add-on devs to tighten up their programs as Firefox is ultimately getting the blame for the slowness.

ucalderau

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 02:20:39 AM »
Isn't that ironic? The "FastestFox - Browse Faster" add-on is among the slowest  ::)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 02:26:21 AM »
That may come at some point. I think Mozilla is trying to get add-on devs to tighten up their programs as Firefox is ultimately getting the blame for the slowness.

Yes, they are cracking down on the add-on developers to clean-up there code to improve loading.

It is certainly needed, mind you people are their own worst enemies in this area too, some have more add-ons than you can shake a stick at, me I only have 28 ;D

But I do have a few that aren't compatible with FF4 yet ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 03:39:09 AM »
There are some "well known" in the list...
Mozilla has the fame of having a slow startup. They're doing well pushing the developers toward a most exigent situation.
The best things in life are free.

Kilia

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 08:02:10 AM »
I only have one add-on on the list. Download Helper, however It doesn't seem to impede my internet hopping all that much while it is in progress. The first thing I do before I use it is clear my cache. That helps.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 02:29:59 PM »
I only have one add-on on the list. Download Helper, however It doesn't seem to impede my internet hopping all that much while it is in progress. The first thing I do before I use it is clear my cache. That helps.

I think that most of the slowing is about the initial firefox startup as it loads these add-ons. Personally I don't see any issue on browsing with those that I have installed and if anything the security and blocking add-ons I have, NoScript, AdBlock Plus and RequestPolicy could help speed browsing due the the cr*p they stop loading or scripts being run, etc.

It will always be a compromise on what you load, the whole point of the add-ons is the way it should help the way that you browse and the additional security that you want. The same as running an AV to protect your system there will always be a performance hit, choosing the right AV (avast of course) limits that hit.

doktornotor

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 03:05:54 PM »
I think that most of the slowing is about the initial firefox startup as it loads these add-ons.

They did not test anything else but the start-up. (Also, recommend reading the comments under the blog post.)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 03:49:51 PM »
Read the comments on the link Simon gave in the first post (not a blog) and they actually mention browsing.

Add-ons provide many useful features and functions, but they can also cause Firefox to become slower. Some add-ons can even slow Firefox to a crawl and make it difficult to use for regular web browsing.

So by implication some might also have an impact on browsing, though untested.

However, that list does only relate to startup times.
The following add-ons have the most impact on how long it takes Firefox to start up.

doktornotor

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 03:56:22 PM »
However, that list does only relate to startup times.
The following add-ons have the most impact on how long it takes Firefox to start up.

Eh. That list is irrelevant for anything but startup. For one, ABP being about #12 on the slow chart, saves me a couple of seconds every time I visit a page infected with those obnoxious tracking/counting bugs, let alone the Facebook/Twitter/Google Analytics junk (covered by stuff like Disconnect/Ghostery). Compared to that, I leave browser running for days.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 05:05:03 PM »
Then why do they mention it at all in the first paragraph.

Re browsing, I have already said as much.

<snip>
Personally I don't see any issue on browsing with those that I have installed and if anything the security and blocking add-ons I have, NoScript, AdBlock Plus and RequestPolicy could help speed browsing due the the cr*p they stop loading or scripts being run, etc.
<snip>

Offline Simion

• Advanced Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 04:57:44 AM »
I also, believe the subject is referring to both start up and browsing speeds, as DavidR. Perhaps the list only shows start-up slow down as it is a more measureable statistic for all users. How much an add-on slows down browsing would be somewhat dependent on a user's connection speed.

doktornotor

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 08:39:48 AM »
Then why do they mention it at all in the first paragraph.

Need to ask the person who wrote the blogpost, frankly. There are things that actually speed up browsing on that list.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 08:43:30 AM »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0