Author Topic: suggestion for avast 6.1  (Read 2996 times)

aonisking

suggestion for avast 6.1
« on: April 07, 2011, 12:26:15 AM »
1 os startup slow,update virus database on os startup is the cause,hope delay the update after 3-5 minite after os started~

2 do not include vc++2008 in installer,today VC++08 is widely in os,installer cause 2 VC++08s in my os,after every intalltion,I have to del one vc++08. some one may need vc++08,then installer can live download from microsoft.

:)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: suggestion for avast 6.1
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 12:54:14 AM »
1 os startup slow,update virus database on os startup is the cause,hope delay the update after 3-5 minite after os started~
Being wished before and posted in forum, a GUI option for that.
The best things in life are free.

Jack 1000

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 12:54:29 AM »
1 os startup slow,update virus database on os startup is the cause,hope delay the update after 3-5 Minutes after os started~

2 do not include vc++2008 in installer,today VC++08 is widely in os,installer cause 2 VC++08s in my os,after every installation,I have to del one vc++08. some one may need vc++08,then installer can live download from Microsoft.

Well,

3-5 minutes is pretty long between start up and Avast updates.  How long does it take your PC to boot?  I run Windows XP, with just Avast as my always on resident security and the built-in Windows Firewall.  Boot time is about 40 seconds or less.

You can go under Troubleshooting and check the box, Delay loading of Avast services until all other services have started.  This might help.

Jack

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 01:29:49 AM »
That won't help at all as far as checking for updates goes. It would be unlikely to improve boot times as it is delaying avast services by fractions of a second rather than seconds. Only if there were a conflict during boot that slowed it might that option have any impact and it would have to directly effect the avast services.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Jack 1000

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 01:34:29 AM »
That won't help at all as far as checking for updates goes. It would be unlikely to improve boot times as it is delaying avast services by fractions of a second rather than seconds. Only if there were a conflict during boot that slowed it might that option have any impact and it would have to directly effect the avast services.

Yea,

Could be too many other services loading at startup.  I had forgotten that the Delay Avast check box only delays Avast by a few seconds.  BTW, I have always had that checked, and had no problems with doing that.

Jack

Nesivos

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 01:46:33 AM »

2 do not include vc++2008 in installer,today VC++08 is widely in os,installer cause 2 VC++08s in my os,after every intalltion,I have to del one vc++08. some one may need vc++08,then installer can live download from microsoft.

If your computer is always connected to the Net there is absolutely no reason to ever turn if off unless you have to do a cold reboot which should be very rare.

If your computer is connected to the Net using dial-up then just set the updates to manual.

You can set Avast to wake the computer from sleep mode if the time for a scheduled scan has come.

If a change was to be made with updates I would suggest to add the feature to be able to wake the computer once a day at a pre-selected times to apply any updates that may be available.