Author Topic: Clients are doing updates at the same time so our cluster crashes  (Read 3669 times)

eazyadm

Hi everybody,

i have a problem which is driving me crazy. We are running a desktopvirtualisation environment with over 1000 VMs. And all those VMs are trying to update at the same time the avast virus database which makes the system unusable for about 20 minutes.

Now I have 2 questions:
1. is there a possibility in the configuration of ADNM (which I can't find) to tell the clients they should make updates when every they want? but not at the same time.
2. is there a possibility to put the VPS file on the sysvol of our Domain that the clients don't have a localcopy of it ? cause than the clients don't need to update.

Thanks alot

bye
  eazy

wpn

Re: Clients are doing updates at the same time so our cluster crashes
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 05:53:15 PM »
option 1 is undoable...
it would mean that all the clients have to ask ALL others clients if they are going to update and based on the answer the client asking will or will not update while others are updating.... i believe your 20 minutes will become 20hours that way..

I believe (not sure cuz its been a while since i read the manual) that the clients start checking every 45 minutes for updates, either for the VPS or for policy changes. Meaning that if you start clients at different times they should check different times.

You can also change the interval from 45 minutes per group then i believe.
meaning you can differentiate the importance and the time of a group for checking for updates and actually updating.

1 group could be set to 30 minutes which means every 30 minutes that group checks and updates
another group for 45 minutes
another group for 60 minutes

its not an ideal sollution tho...

But if you have over a thousand VM's  you should also check into the hardware capabilities.
Where is the bottleneck, which software is used for the virtualisation, which hardware is used?
If you run blades you should check which networkcard and virtual switch are the vm's on.

eazyadm

Re: Clients are doing updates at the same time so our cluster crashes
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 06:29:33 PM »
Thanks for your answer.

It would be no Problem if 20-40 Clients doing the updates at the same time, but if 1000 clients are trying to update than the I/O load of the SAN Storage System ist getting so high that the system is getting stuck. The other Problem is the memory usage in this moment.

The Information that the Clients are looking for updates every 45minutes after startup sound very good, cause at the moment we have scheduled task for updates on the ADNM.
So i will try to disable those task and we will see what happends.

Thanks

bye
  eazy