Author Topic: Update avast antivirus definitions to 110-410-1 not working today [Sun April 10]  (Read 3489 times)

drdively

Today I am having a problem updating my virus defintions to 110410-1 from 110410-0.  Looks like these virus definitions did not completely download. The 110410-0 folder is 59.9meg, the 110410-1 folder is 4.9 meg.  The dashboard tells me 110410-1 is installed, but when I click on update it starts downloading and then stops.

Incidentally, Windows is asking me to authorize c:\program files\alwil software\avast5\visthaux.exe.  If I choose yes, that does not seem to do anything.  I have scanned that file and it is supposedly clean.  That file is not running. 

I am running 6.0.1000 free version. With Windows 7.  I have not had any problems whatsover since I set up this machine three months ago.

Nesivos

How many definitions are you seeing for 110410-1?

AIS is showing 2,743,921 on my computers

drdively

On update page, it says current version 110410-0.  Updated 4/10/11 4:38 AM.  2,743,933.
Also says definitions are out of date and updated version is 110410-1.

I click update engine and virus def.

It starts downloading a prod-ais.vpx file.
It only goes 3 sec total, 1 sec, 2 files downloaded, 000KB.
Then it says above those stats already up to date - current version 110410-1.

I click OK and it's back to the update page where I can click update engine and virus def.
It again says I am out of date and says last attempt with 1 minute ago.

This scenario is repeatable over and over.

So the number I am seeing [2,743,933] is only on a page that says I have 110410-0.

Nesivos

Thanks for your response.

I think based upon your problem as you presented it there are others here who are more qualified to help you.

drdively

Thanks for at least looking at it.

I will await others who may know more.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Don't complicate matters by comparing defs folders as they may not always be the same size or close. Whilst in most cases they will be close, with the latter usually slightly larger, but a transfer would have to happen at some point to fully populate the latest folder.

Try a repair of avast. Control Panel, Programs & Features, uninstall a program, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow. You may need to reboot after the repair. This has in the past resolved this out of sync issue between reported and actual VPS version.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

drdively

I can give that a try, but I had one more thought.

When I shut down the machine and restarted it,
I think my new backup software [Rebit] interfered with the avast start up.
I am wondering if that backup software interfered with a full download of the 110410-1 definitions.

My questions are

1.  is there a way to do a manual download of the updated virus definitions?
2.  how can I modify my start up sequence to eliminate this possible conflict?

Sorry if I am asking elementary questions.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
1.  is there a way to do a manual download of the updated virus definitions?
Download the update here: http://www.avast.com/download-update

2.  how can I modify my start up sequence to eliminate this possible conflict?
Try Startup Delayer.
This freeware controls the windows startup (Windows 98\Me\2k\XP\Vista) that does not follow a strict order.

You can set some applications to start very after the boot (logon) itself.  ;)

But, I won't think it's possible to avoid a conflict just changing the boot/logon order!
The best things in life are free.